Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think it was pathetic and less than what I would expect of an Oscar winning director. He seemed a bit drunk. IMHO.

Nor did he appear to know that Romney had a law degree.

But hey, we have a new trend - eastwooding. :doh: Like there isn't enough of that on skid row

Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.:)

I hope that I am as spry as Clint is when I am 82.

Thanks for rising up personal attacks though. That was mighty big of you to compare him to a drunk from skid row.
Most leftists aren't capable of taking the high ground, like you have just done in your erudite and masterful criticism of Clint Eastwood's ideas.

Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think it was pathetic and less than what I would expect of an Oscar winning director. He seemed a bit drunk. IMHO.

Nor did he appear to know that Romney had a law degree.

But hey, we have a new trend - eastwooding. :doh: Like there isn't enough of that on skid row

To suggest an 82 year old man was drunk and call him pathetic for the way he spoke is rather tasteless IMHO. We have a member named Dale at my church, he is a WWII veteran and he speaks fairly similar to how Eastwood did. He is neither a drunk nor do I consider him "pathetic" because he's a bit rambling and not as clear as he used to be.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,351.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
To suggest an 82 year old man was drunk and call him pathetic for the way he spoke is rather tasteless IMHO. We have a member named Dale at my church, he is a WWII veteran and he speaks fairly similar to how Eastwood did. He is neither a drunk nor do I consider him "pathetic" because he's a bit rambling and not as clear as he used to be.

Elderly gentlemen not quite as capable as they used to be don't inspire any pity in you?

Upvote 0

Just4Jesus

Legend
Jan 16, 2006
Alabama
✟81,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It was great. :thumbsup: Clint Eastwood RNC Speech At The Republican National Convention - Business Insider
Clint Eastwood just gave a speech at the Republican National Convention that won't soon be forgotten.

It included him talking to an empty chair ... pretending it was President Obama.
"We own this country," Eastwood said. Standing ovation.

"Politicians are our employees. When someone doesn't do the job, we have to let them go," Eastwood said, to a raucous ovation.

He makes me laugh:D

Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Citizen for Civil Public Discourse
Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The only person worthy of any sympathy at all, is Romney. He was without doubt the injured party. You are supposed to decline an invitation to speak, if you cannot bring yourself to say anything nice ABOUT THE NOMINEE. There is no excuse for that not being obvious, even to someone who is 82 years old. That was absolutely despicable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The only person worthy of any sympathy at all, is Romney. He was without doubt the injured party. You are supposed to decline an invitation to speak, if you cannot bring yourself to say anything nice ABOUT THE NOMINEE. There is no excuse for that not being obvious, even to someone who is 82 years old. That was absolutely despicable.

If this is truly the case, then I absolutely CANNOT wait to see the reaction to Obama's speakers. :D:D

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Obama campaign will know what everyone is going to say, before they get on that stage. ;)

That changes nothing about what I said. So far, what I've read about his speakers is that they're just gonna rail on Romney.

What was it Obama said about Romney? Oh yeah..."we've seen it all before".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's more like inspirational. ;)

It's inspiring to watch people persevere.

But to act like there is no sadness in watching others lose vigor and capability when they age seems odd to me.

Most political convention speeches won't inspire me much. I am mostly looking for a quick bottom line, and this kind of stuff is mostly fluff.
I did end up watching the whole video though, and I knew right from the beginning exactly why I would.

My father was 82 and grey and not anywhere near as quick or as imposing as he was in his prime. He tended to ramble a bit too, and in spite of all the pain he was going through, his sense of humor still came through, just like as Clint's did in that speech. The humor may have been a little off, a little bizarre rather than quick witted like the tongue of young stand up comic.

The thing is, this is what it is like to grow old. But with people who grow old that we know, like a father or a famous actor, theirs is dignity too. For we already see the whole import of their lives when we look at them. We see all that they have accomplished, all that they have gone through, and the natural demise of a good life too, a life well lived.
There is sadness to be sure in the loss of strength, but it is nothing compared to the awe that an old person can inspire in us.

For some people all that they saw was a doddering old man, a skid row drunk even.

I guess I just didn't see that at all.

I saw an old man for sure, but a man that carried himself around with the quiet pride of someone who has accomplished much, and who still has a twinkle in his eye in spite of his body and his mind not keeping up with the vitality of that spirit that shines through, that just keeps on growing stronger and stronger with age.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,760,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.:)

I hope that I am as spry as Clint is when I am 82.

Thanks for rising up personal attacks though. That was mighty big of you to compare him to a drunk from skid row.
Most leftists aren't capable of taking the high ground, like you have just done in your erudite and masterful criticism of Clint Eastwood's ideas.

ahh...talk about personal attacks.....

I am not a leftist btw - I am a moderate. :)

Upvote 0

Assuredcw

Citizen for Civil Public Discourse
Oct 16, 2011
✟10,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What really cracks me up is how quickly the media assumed Eastwood was shilling for Obama back when he did the Chrysler Superbowl commercial, and then he comes and does this thing at the RNC convention.

I can see why he was such a "big" guest at the convention. Eastwood normally votes democrat.

What?! Clint Eastwood was the REPUBLICAN governor of Carmel. He has always been well-known as being one of the few Republican movie stars in Hollywood, because you are right that most of them are Democrats. But the term "Clint Eastwood Republican" has come to mean socially liberal and only fiscally conservative. Which is not what most conservatives on this board are.

What Clint Eastwood should have learned from 'In the Line of Fire' - latimes.com

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Iraq + Afghanistan cost 1 billion $ PER DAY! yet the Republicans (who started these wars) have the gall to blame Obama for the state of the economy? Obama got the troops out of Iraq, got Bin Laden. He tried to bring into effect his election promises and guess what; The GOP put the brakes on all of them! Yet the GOP is blaming Obama for not doing enough!

The world is praying that the Americans do not bring into power another war hawk (like Bush). With Obama in power, there is significantly less anti Americanism. Why are the GOP so obsessed with conducting wars:confused:

Clint Eastwood spoke his mind and that is all there is to it. He is not a hero albeit I will agree that he is an excellent director and a fairly good actor!

Upvote 0