1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

Climate change in Asia

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by myst33, Jul 22, 2022.

1. loveofourlord

loveofourlord Newbie

+4,371
    Christian
    Private
    I was refering to the whole ice age thing wich was a few scientists talking about a possible lowering in temperature that news papers ran away with as if it was the next ice age.

2. loveofourlord

loveofourlord Newbie

+4,371
    Christian
    Private
    The only scam is those claiming it's a scam. Sorry I can't hear you over some of all the fans running during one of the hottest years for like the 7th time in 10 or so years.

3. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,391
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It's going to be used as a pretext to steal your freedoms, and mine. You've been warned.

4. loveofourlord

loveofourlord Newbie

+4,371
    Christian
    Private
    and your suggestion just do what the right does stick our heads in the sand and let things get worse because of greed? Yeah rights will be taken away if we do nothing, kinda the issue, the longer it takes for people to realize climate change is real, the harder the changes will be as there will be less time to fix it if we even can. You guys are to blame for any rights lost, you've had 20+ years to deal with it, can't ignore it then whine about it.

5. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+2,495
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    Figure 1. Global (left) and European land (right) average near-surface temperatures relative to the pre-industrial period 1850-1900

[​IMG]
    Global and European temperatures - europa.eu

If you dont believe scientists, I can add my personal testimony. When I was a child, there were freezing, real winters with a lot of snow, where I live. Not anymore. Every summer a new temperature record is set and winters are mild and mostly without snow.
    Sadly, almost anyone from all around the world has some similar testimony how their local climate changed and is more extreme. Thats what makes it global - a global climate change.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  6. friend of

+3,391
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Most of the people banging on about climate change are travelling the world in private jets polluting thousands of times more than the average citizen. Why do people like you never acknowledge that? We aren't going to fight climate change very well when the main people responsible are doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing to tackle it.

7. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+2,495
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    This is a red herring, though. The facts still stand, no matter if some politicians or celebrities do not live up to them.

8. friend of

+3,391
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Just tell me what you expect the average global citizen to do to single handedly resolve the glaring issue of anthropomorphic climate change.

Like, what do you want me to do?

9. friend of

+3,391
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    If those people don't do their share, it eclipses any effort on my part, or your part, or anyone's part to fix this catastrophe. It's vain and redundant to even attempt to fix the issue.

10. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+2,495
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    For the start, stop saying its a scam.

Then, you can vote for people who try to find some good systemic solutions.

Then, you can limit your own consumption, car usage, needless travelling and to go more green in your own life.

11. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+2,495
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    You can find some ideas what to do in your life, here:
    Feeling anxious about climate change? Here's how you can do your bit

For example:
    Look at where your savings, investments and pension are going
    Going green with your money has been found to be 21 times more powerful in the fight against climate change than giving up flying, becoming vegetarian and choosing a green energy supplier combined.

12. friend of

+3,391
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    You missed my point completely. It flew over your head like John Kerry's private jet.

13. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+2,495
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    Its simply not true that you cannot do anything or that it does not have any meaning. Its like saying that your single vote will change nothing in elections.

14. That Guy 11200

That Guy 11200 Newbie

+241
    Atheist
    Private
    And, if you were in a lifeboat which was taking on water, and a lazy slob wasn't bothering to do his part in bailing out the water, then you might as well not bother too, right? Afterall, if he isn't pulling his weight, then why should you try to save yourself?

15. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+12,795
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    I voted this "winner" because clearly climate change is mainly a collective rather than individual problem.

Individual efforts here and there to be clean are symbolically valuable, I guess. But they wont move the net global greenhouse gas emissions needle much. That will require collective solutions, like putting a price on pollution.

16. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+11,139
    Agnostic
    Married
    Stop telling people it is a scam and making up poor excuses to ignore the issue would be a great start.

17. loveofourlord

loveofourlord Newbie

+4,371
    Christian
    Private
    Right....because jet's are the massive main cause of pollution and not all the factories or cars, you gus will make up any excuse rather then do something.

18. Pardon Maoi

Pardon Maoi Member

+101
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    How so and don't be stingy with details? What freedoms, and how will they be "stolen"?

19. Pardon Maoi

Pardon Maoi Member

+101
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    Why do so many Cons think these weird, stream of consciousness posts are effective? The 70s ice age myth was a media phenomenon, not something accepted as scientific consensus. A survey of the actual literature from the time shows that warming was the big concern of the time, not cooling and certainly not an "impending" ice age.

Always worth noting: we are still in an ice age. As long as glaciers and ice sheets remian, the ice age continues.

20. Erik Nelson

Erik Nelson Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,628
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    To date, thousands of years of Agriculture has had as much total, cumulative, overall, Climate impact...

as hundreds of years of Industry.

Thousands of years of slashing, burning, clearcutting, and deforestation has chopped down continents' worth of Old Growth Forests that "should" be there, in favor of farms & pastures. More methane emissions from livestock, less carbon in tree trunks (above ground) & roots (below ground)

Thousands of years of Agriculture has had as much Climate impact as hundreds of years of Industry

If you take the "long view" and account for thousands of years of "land use" (= Agriculture) emissions plus hundreds of years of Industrial emissions, then China is the principal total emissions source (cradle of civilization to modern industrial nation)

According to climate science, without all of those cumulative worldwide emissions, from all sources, earth would have already plunged back into another Ice Age. Thousands of years of chopping down trees for farm fields & hundreds of years of burning fossil fuels for power has (fed billions of people and also) staved off the next Ice Age.