St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A csardas (pronounced chahr-dahsh) is a Hungarian dance with alternating slow and fast tempos. An obscure Italian composer, Vittorio Monti, wrote this piece for violin and piano. It has a strong gypsy vibe and is very cool. With some really fancy fiddle playing by Clara Cernat.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi,

Are there any members who like classical music? If so, I would be curious to know what your favorite pieces are, or favorite composers. I hope I'm not the only classical music geek here. (and I'm not even a 'geek').

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I really like this rendition of Claire De Lune. It was part of an album collection by Dino Kartsonokis called The Peace Series, which consisted of about four albums of smooth piano music with nature sounds in the background.

Make note of the sax solo, played softly at various times throughout the piece.

Reactions: John 1720
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Who has heard of Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges? I had always known about Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, and many of the others, but this man was a recent discovery for me.

Here is his biography on Wikipedia, for anyone who might be interested:

Chevalier de Saint-Georges - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who has heard of Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges? I had always known about Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, and many of the others, but this man was a recent discovery for me.
Yeah - I found out about him last February "Black History Month." He is fantastic.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Yeah - I found out about him last February "Black History Month." He is fantastic.

That's just about when I discovered him (either a little before or a little after). And what an amazing discovery it was! I don't think there were any others like him, at least not that I'd heard of.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Here's another very cool piece. It's by Shostakovich, simply titled Waltz No. 2. Not your typical light, fluffy dance music, but dark and brooding. Very Russian. There's a great section at 2:25 where the main theme is played by solo trombone. One of my favorites.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dedindi

Jul 2, 2017
Spivakivka
Visit site
✟12,080.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I find it odd/sad that anyone cannot like or at least respect classical music. It shows a severe lack of a musical maturity/knowledge/clue.

it seems to me that it's a temporary phenomenon.
It's also sad that young artists write music illiterately.
but the network has many resources where classical music is in trend.

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find it odd/sad that anyone cannot like or at least respect classical music. It shows a severe lack of a musical maturity/knowledge/clue.

I've been involved in post-production CD manufacturing for 20 years working with two quality labels Titanic Records and Musica Omnia, among various other genres. I consider myself a lover of classical music, which I listen to constantly, though I've never committed to becoming knowledgeable of the details.

I hope dedindi is correct in that Classical will once again be fully appreciated. I must say most of my work centered on Bach, Schubert, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Beethoven, etc. and what little contemporary classical I done has left me empty. I do think much of "modern" classical is cacophonous at best, and reminds me of much of "modern" art...

Last edited:
Upvote 0