✟24,418.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi, Lina,

I wouldn't call myself a classical music fan, but I've spent many hours at opera concerts and listen to classical music rather often (among my many other preferred genres) and appreciate it greatly.

The one piece I enjoy most is Beethoven's Kreutzer on violin:

Orchestral music and opera is just generally great, but it can get stale sometimes for me.

Wow, I liked this one, thanks!
I think it's really up to personal preference, but I could never get enough of classical music. :D

or this:
tulc(likes this thread!) :)

I haven't listened to Barber's music before, but I think I like it. :D
I find Gil Shaman to be very smooth on the violin, and in my opinion the best to attempt Carmen Fantasy. "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (first movement)" by Mozart is another.

Do you have any recommendations?

I loved it!!
As I said, Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer, and I love waltzes, but my favorite waltz is this one by Eugen Doga:

I also like the flower duet:
And many many more! I have a playlist with my personal favorites if anybody is interested, you can send me a PM.

Just remembered, I love Handel's Messiah..the whole thing, not just the Halleluiah Chorus. It's so encouraging to listen to when doing housework or whatever, as it basically goes through the whole Bible, reminding us of our hope in Christ.
I totally agree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love both! The piece by Prokofiev from "Romeo and Juliet" is actually called Montagues and Capulets. :) But it is awesome, indeed!

Yes, you're right, LinaBellus. Thanks for adding that detail. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I decided to do a little different twist to experiment with incorporating modern classical with stage band music. I thought the two might be exclusively incompatible, but, wow, it seems to have worked. I don't know if Bach or Tchaikovsky would have approved, but it seems to have at least grasped many of the dynamic elements of string talent.

Oh Yeah

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Tchaikovsky is my all time favorite, I love his music! Oh, and for some reason I don't really like John Cage either ??
As far as I can figure, both those statements make sense and for the same reason.

Music.

• Haha
Reactions: LinaBellus
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do have a number of pieces I REALLY like. Vivaldi's Four Seasons is one of them,
There are others who also wrote "Four Seasons" collections.

One is from another Italian named Giovani Guido who was contemporary with Vivaldi; and there is some discussion about who wrote their work first.

Another that beat them both is Christopher Simpson who wrote in the 1600s in England.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I decided to do a little different twist to experiment with incorporating modern classical with stage band music. I thought the two might be exclusively incompatible, but, wow, it seems to have worked. I don't know if Bach or Tchaikovsky would have approved, but it seems to have at least grasped many of the dynamic elements of string talent.
Have you ever seen guys like David Garrett, or 2Cellos?

• Haha
Reactions: tansy
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Are there any members who like classical music? If so, I would be curious to know what your favorite pieces are, or favorite composers. I hope I'm not the only classical music geek here. (and I'm not even a 'geek').

Here's another one of my favorite pieces by Camille Saint-Saëns - Danse Macabre, even if its theme is just a little cr*e*e*py! ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Reactions: -Hannah-
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a little worried though that the one cellist's head was going to fly off, he was bobbing it about so much LOL
I know what you mean. Too funny.

Reactions: tansy
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A couple of beautiful pieces for Black History Month.
Cool. But I would categorize Joplin's music as nascent Jazz, not classical.

Here is a violin concerto by the Carribean born 18th century composer of French and African descent dubbed "the Black Mozart," Joseph Bologne Le Chevalier de Saint-Georges.

Last edited:
Reactions: LinaBellus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Mahler Symphony #2 "The Resurrection"

I included this particular performance because it is played so very well by an orchestra that doesn't seem to have a single gray hair on any head of any musician (unusual to say the least :)). BTW, it has a very interesting "intro" that talks about the unusual history of this particular orchestra and how it came to be.

If you don't want to listen to the entire symphony, jump ahead to 1hr 24min. That's where the choir and soloists join the orchestra and head toward the 2nd Symphony's bombastic ending!

This is my favorite Symphony.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Some other favorites are:

Mahler - 1st, 5th and 6th Symphonies

Beethoven - all Symphonies, but particularly 1st, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th

Brahms - 1st and 4th Symphonies (hard to believe his 1st Symphony could have been anyone's "First" symphony :))

Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto; The Hebrides Overture (Fingal's Cave)

Strauss - Ein Heldenleben (Tone Poem); Der Rosenkavalier* (Opera)

Handle - Messiah; Music for the Royal Fireworks

Tchaikovsky - 1st and 4th Symphonies; 1812 Overture; Violin Concerto

Shostakovitch - Symphony #5

Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

Stravinsky - The Firebird, Petrushka (one of the greatest pieces of music there is to experience live IMHO), The Rite of Spring

Mussorgsky - Pictures and an Exhibition

Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade

I'll stop or this list of my favorites never will ;)

* - Der Rosenkavalier may have saved Richard Strauss' life, just FYI. When Allied soldiers approached his home during WWII, he came out on his porch and said to them in English, "please don't shoot me, I am Dr. Strauss, composer of Der Rosenkavalier". At that greeting, the battalion of 18-20 year old soldiers put their weapons down and lined up to get his autograph. Could you imagine such a thing happening with our youth today? (I've always loved that story :))

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not overly into classical music, but after watching the Shawshank Redemption, I was inspired to listen to Mozart's "Sull'aria...che soave zeffiretto". It was featured in one scene from the movie; I found it hauntingly beautiful:

Also a HUGE fan of Hans Zimmer. Hence my sn. Not sure that qualifies as classical lol.
If Hans Zimmer composed classical music, you know it would be epic lol.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A favorite of mine from the movie Master and Commander. I think it was written for the movie, but definitely has an early classical (circa 1800) feel to it.

Upvote 0