Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To believe in a God that even might send an innocent infant to hell is to believe God might send an innocent human to eternal suffering. How silly. Why would anyone worship such a God? Fortunately, every Orthodox Christian priest I have ever spoken to rejects such silliness.

indeed, a spiritually innocent person is close to the Kingdom already

Reactions: Isaac32
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,
I had a really discouraging conversation today with a friend of mine who is ex orthodox. It seems she's had a really bad experience with some priests and comments they've made... Her issues included that:

1) according to this priest, infants who are not baptised cannot be saved and go to hell.
Wrong. We can't say who goes to heaven and at the same token we can't say who goes to hell (other than those who send themselves). The thing about unbaptized infants is that they're innocent and haven't had the opportunity to sin, or "miss the mark" as we call it, but when we consider what we know of God's Grace we can say that we're about 99% sure that they go to heaven.

2) that the heterodox go to hell
Wrong. That's above our paygrade ;)
Besides, chances are good that there would be more heterodox in heaven than Orthodox.

3) that when she asked him for advice he said something to the effect of " well as a priest I am the intercession for God and you" and he did not really support her when she asked about verification from scripture and tradition.
Sounds like a poorly educated priest. Write the bishop.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Working out my salvation with fear and trembling, knowing & poorly observing the 2 great commands & the golden rule, I realize God will save multitudes of people (whatever they professed but keeping the moral laws close to the 10 commandments etc.) with certainty while I must repent unto death & pray the narrow minded hypocrites try to learn to see better through the glass darkly.

Upvote 0