Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll correct your list...

1. Heavenly Father is God.
2. Jesus Christ is God.
3. Heavenly Father is not here physically.
4. Jesus Christ is not here physically.
5. I do not (you had cannot) pray to Jesus Christ because he is not here physically.
6. I have no choice but to pray to Heaveny Father who is not here physically, if I desire to communicate with Him.

John 15:1-8 (KJV)
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

a⋅bide  /əˈbaɪd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-bahyd] Show IPA verb, a⋅bode or a⋅bid⋅ed, a⋅bid⋅ing.

Use abide in a Sentence

See web results for abide

See images of abide

–verb (used without object) 1.to remain; continue; stay: Abide with me. 2.to have one's abode; dwell; reside: to abide in a small Scottish village. 3.to continue in a particular condition, attitude, relationship, etc.; last.

Source: Abide Definition | Definition of Abide at Dictionary.com

Dont forget that the above quotes scripture was spoken just before Jesus was arrested and crucified, so the obvious meaning of "abide" goes beyond Christs 1st. Centuary earthly ministry

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

I'll correct your list...

1. Heavenly Father is God.
2. Jesus Christ is God.
3. Heavenly Father is not here physically.
4. Jesus Christ is not here physically.
5. I do not (you had cannot) pray to Jesus Christ because he is not here physically.
6. I have no choice but to pray to Heaveny Father who is not here physically, if I desire to communicate with Him.

Their Godhood IS different. God the Father is supreme. Christ cannot, and never will, replace Him as my Heavenly Father. Saying so is not some judgment against he capacities of the Son. Therefore, in the absence of either of them, I choose to pray to the supreme God—my Heavenly Father. However, were Christ physically present, I would converse with him directly to ask for that which I need. Not once have I even intimated that Christ were incapable of hearing or answering a prayer. You keep trying to wring that out of my words, but it just isn't there. My choices do not dictate the capacities of the Father and the Son.

No. I do not. You extrapolate that meaning from my words. But for the sake of clarity... The status of God the Father and the Son differs. Their abilities are identical. That is my belief. How I choose to address each of them has nothing to do with my assessment of their abilities, rather my understanding of their status. Hope that helps. If you continue to believe that I'm contradicting myself, I suggest you make a mental note that I'm messed up or something and we just move on.

Peace.

You have piqued my curiosity now. Is there a particular reason (other than the lack of a physical presence) that you choose not to pray to Jesus Church but choose to pray to Heavenly Father, who also lacks a physical presence. In light of the biblical statements that God delights in answering prayer, why would you not want to pray to God (Jesus Christ)?

I do understand that you perceive Jesus Christ as a lesser (in status, whatever that might mean) deity than Heavenly Father, so what is the difference in their status that compels you to pray to one and not the other? What makes me love to pray to Jesus Christ are the facts that he is the one and onlyl mediator between God and man, that He is our advocate with the Father, and that He alone is the Great High Priest at the Father's right hand, ever living to make intercession for us, and he alone holds a priesthood not unlike that of Melchizedek.

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
Softspoken said:
Belief is necessary. It was required to GET to earth in the first place. You have either forgotten, or were not aware of that detail. It took faith in Christ just to have the privilege of mortality. Those who kept their first estate (in the pre-mortal life with God) through faith in the promised Savior were added upon with the blessing of mortality (and promised deliverane from death and hell through the atonement of the Savior). Those who keep their second estate (mortality) through faith in the slain and resurrected Savior and obedience to his gospel will be joint-heirs with him of all that the Father has. That's our doctrine. In a way it's universal, yes, but not how you've presented it. At least not in my mind.
Okay...this is hugely helpful. I was not aware of this aspect--that the doctrine of premortal existence includes the teaching that all spirits who receive bodies in this mortal existence have professed faith in Jesus beforehand. Do I understand this correctly? Adolf Hitler, Idi Amin, the BTK killer, etc. had, in the premortal existence, professed faith in Christ?

There are so many subjects being discussed in this thread. . . I hope that you don't mind going back to this one.

I had not heard before either that LDS teach that all spirits who receive bodies in this mortal existence professed faith in Christ beforehand. I had read that they agreed to the plan that Christ offered, rather than that they had faith in him. Can you provide or point me to any references that speak of this as having faith in Christ, rather than agreeing to his plan?

Here is the passage of LDS scripture that discussed this:
Abraham 3
24 And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;
25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;
26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.
27 And the Lord said: Whom shall I send? And one answered like unto the Son of Man: Here am I, send me. And another answered and said: Here am I, send me. And the Lord said: I will send the first.
28 And the second was angry, and kept not his first estate; and, at that day, many followed after him.​

And here are several references to this that I found:

What do the terms first estate and second estate mean in Abraham 3:26? (First estate refers to the premortal life, and second estate refers to our mortal life. We kept our first estate by choosing to follow Jesus Christ instead of Lucifer.)

Lesson 2: “Thou Wast Chosen Before Thou Wast Born”, Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual, 5​

After hearing both sons speak, Heavenly Father said, “I will send the first” (Abraham 3:27).

Jesus Christ was chosen and foreordained to be our Savior. Many scriptures tell about this (see, for example, 1 Peter 1:19–20; Moses 4:1–2). One scripture tells us that long before Jesus was born, He appeared to a Book of Mormon prophet known as the brother of Jared and said: “Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. … In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name” (Ether 3:14).

When Jesus lived on earth, He taught: “I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. … And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day” (John 6:38, 40).

Chapter 3: Jesus Christ, Our Chosen Leader and Savior,” Gospel Principles, (2009),13–16​

(Well, it looks like I answered my own question, but I will post this anyways as it raises another question.)
The Council in Heaven. References in the revelations give evidence that a Grand Council was convened during our premortal life. All of Heavenly Father’s spiritual children were there. The purpose of the council was to prepare us for our earthly experiences. We were taught all that we would need to know to return to Heavenly Father’s presence one day. We did indeed receive “[our] first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth in the due time of the Lord.” 14

After the plan of salvation was presented for a sustaining vote, Heavenly Father inquired as to whom He should send to put the plan into effect in mortality. Satan responded with an alteration of the plan, a version conceived with an evil intent. He said: “I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost … ; wherefore give me thine honor.” 15 Satan’s plan would indeed “destroy the agency of man.” 16 Selfish and senseless, his plan defied eternal law. It was an impossible plan, for without moral agency no one could become exalted. Today he continues to activate parts of his evil plan, appealing to the carnal tendencies of man through temptations. If we are not aware, we may find ourselves being lured by Satan’s temptations, and if we follow his plan we will become like him. 17

After Satan presented his evil version of the Father’s plan, the Savior responded to Heavenly Father: “Here am I, send me.” 18 He added: “Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever.” 19 In those few humble words, the Savior, exercising His moral agency, accepted the sacred assignment as the atoning sacrifice; in this role He would suffer sorely for our sins. We, too, exercised our moral agency in the premortal council. We sustained Heavenly Father’s plan with its laws, ordinances, and covenants. We also sustained Jesus Christ as our Savior, who was, indeed, foreordained. 20

Creation. Abraham records that the premortal Jesus Christ directed, “We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell. 21 It was determined that this earth would be a place of probation. 22

One of the purposes of the probation was stated by the Savior: “We will prove them … to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them.” 23 This means that in mortality our “natural man” tendencies must be brought into subjection by the “spiritual man” through our moral agency. With our mortal bodies, we have the power of procreation in this life. We have the choice and capacity to control our physical desire, or to have it control us. This is one of the most important challenges we face in using our moral agency. Unrighteous use of the procreative power carries with it the most condemning consequences, but if we use it righteously, we have potential to “receive a fulness of joy.” 24

L. Lionel Kendrick, “Our Moral Agency,” Ensign, Mar 1996, 28

If LDS teach that all who received mortal bodies already had faith in Christ, then is it correct to assume that from the LDS point of view that this mortal probation is a time of testing of that faith, and therefore there is less of an emphasis on faith and more emphasis on doing?

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I know how the glories are described as I used to believe in all this stuff, but I think the fact that they describe the lower glories as some wonderful place hides the fact that God the Father is not there. And Christ doesn't dwell there, he just goes there to teach. I just can't imagine a Christian (someone who really has a relationship with God) being satisfied with a nice place to live that doesn't have the one thing they desire. To be near to God.
I can't either. I guess that's why it's important that we learn the true character of God while here, and that we learn to abide the law of His Kingdom. If you're already on that path and have that knowledge safe and secure in your spirit, you ought not be the least bit shaken or upset by LDS theology. And to be clear, nothing is hidden in what you've pointed out. It's all very clear to see. The truth prevails. If the truth is that the lowest of the kingdoms is heads-and-tails better than this earth life, how is that truth hiding the fact that God the Father isn't there? If it's true it's true. You needn't believe it, of course. You can believe that it's all a bunch of horse manure if you like. You can believe that there is only a heaven and a hell, and everyone either goes to one or the other. What does my belief have to do with yours? Or rather, why concern yourself with my belief if you're firm in yours?

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I can't either. I guess that's why it's important that we learn the true character of God while here, and that we learn to abide the law of His Kingdom. If you're already on that path and have that knowledge safe and secure in your spirit, you ought not be the least bit shaken or upset by LDS theology. And to be clear, nothing is hidden in what you've pointed out. It's all very clear to see. The truth prevails. If the truth is that the lowest of the kingdoms is heads-and-tails better than this earth life, how is that truth hiding the fact that God the Father isn't there? If it's true it's true. You needn't believe it, of course. You can believe that it's all a bunch of horse manure if you like. You can believe that there is only a heaven and a hell, and everyone either goes to one or the other. What does my belief have to do with yours? Or rather, why concern yourself with my belief if you're firm in yours?

Because it contradicts what the Bible says and it leads people astray. That is my concern.

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Because it contradicts what the Bible says and it leads people astray. That is my concern.
Interesting. So you believe God will condemn people to hell eternally who subscribe to LDS theology? And therefore you're concerned for the welfare of the souls of all those who are expose to LDS theology? Is that about right?

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. So you believe God will condemn people to hell eternally who subscribe to LDS theology? And therefore you're concerned for the welfare of the souls of all those who are expose to LDS theology? Is that about right?

I believe that God saves whom He decides to save, but that salvation is based on the person having heard the good news of the gospel preached. I believe that there is enough of the gospel preached in the LDS church that there are true believers there, but at the same time I believe that there is enough other stuff that isn't gospel that is preached in the LDS church that it can obscure the true gospel, and that could cause some to not hear it. And if they can't hear it, they can't be saved.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Were God bodily before me I would not pray. I would converse. Requests and responses would be immediately known... I see no inconsistency in my "rules," as you call them.

Evidently, the Nephites spoken of in 3 Nephi 19, did not understand that they could converse with Christ and requests and responses would be immediately known.

3 Nephi 19
15 And it came to pass that while the angels were ministering unto the disciples, behold, Jesus came and stood in the midst and ministered unto them.
16 And it came to pass that he spake unto the multitude, and commanded them that they should kneel down again upon the earth, and also that his disciples should kneel down upon the earth.
17 And it came to pass that when they had all knelt down upon the earth, he commanded his disciples that they should pray.
18 And behold, they began to pray; and they did pray unto Jesus, calling him their Lord and their God.

19 And it came to pass that Jesus departed out of the midst of them, and went a little way off from them and bowed himself to the earth, and he said:
20 Father, I thank thee that thou hast given the Holy Ghost unto these whom I have chosen; and it is because of their belief in me that I have chosen them out of the world.

And you want me to compare apples to apples, when you don't do that yourself?

Upvote 0

Moodshadow

Veteran
Jun 29, 2006
Flower Mound, TX
✟13,243.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Wow - that's quite an extrapolation!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Why do you concern yourself with trying to change our beliefs when you know we're firm in ours?

One reason is that I believe it (my faith) is wholly true and therefore provides for men more spiritual freedom and greater peace during mortality. Another reason is that I believe it will lead men to inherit a greater "prize" than they might otherwise receive. Another reason is that I covenanted to do so (share it/spread it/whatever term you want to use). Those are probably the main reasons. Do you ever contemplate sharing your faith with those who are firm in theirs?

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You have piqued my curiosity now. Is there a particular reason (other than the lack of a physical presence) that you choose not to pray to Jesus Church but choose to pray to Heavenly Father, who also lacks a physical presence.
None other than He is my Father. I'm surprised at how much interest this line of thinking has generated. This is a question for all... Is everyone's apparent interest in this topic more to do with your understanding of the character and nature of the Father and Son, or more to do with the fact that I don't do things how you do them? Curious.

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I believe that God saves whom He decides to save, but that salvation is based on the person having heard the good news of the gospel preached. I believe that there is enough of the gospel preached in the LDS church that there are true believers there, but at the same time I believe that there is enough other stuff that isn't gospel that is preached in the LDS church that it can obscure the true gospel, and that could cause some to not hear it. And if they can't hear it, they can't be saved.
So some members of the LDS church will be saved—as in go to heaven to live with God—while others won't. Is that an accurate summary? (I'm not looking to corner you here, I'm making sure I understand what you're saying)

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Wow - that's quite an extrapolation!
LOL... hardly! If he's "concerned" I think it's a safe "extrapolation" to assume that he's got reasons to be concerned that are lasting, and eternal in their impact. Would you not extrapolate the same conclusion were I to say that the reason I share the LDS faith is because I'm concerned about apparent misinformation or contradictions in other faiths?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There are so many subjects being discussed in this thread. . . I hope that you don't mind going back to this one.

If LDS teach that all who received mortal bodies already had faith in Christ, then is it correct to assume that from the LDS point of view that this mortal probation is a time of testing of that faith, and therefore there is less of an emphasis on faith and more emphasis on doing?
LOL your questions are awesome. Now I've got two posts of yours to weigh. THIS is the kind of dialogue I was hoping to find here—the kind that presents honest, legitimate ideas that one may or may not have considered, rather than the knee-jerk material that seems to be flooding and circulating by those who love to argue.

I have always understood that faith WAS required to get here. Now I'll take faith out of the equation and see where things go. Wow... I may find that God is even MORE merciful and great than I thought before! Thanks for the question.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
LOL... hardly! If he's "concerned" I think it's a safe "extrapolation" to assume that he's got reasons to be concerned that are lasting, and eternal in their impact. Would you not extrapolate the same conclusion were I to say that the reason I share the LDS faith is because I'm concerned about apparent misinformation or contradictions in other faiths?

It is extrapolation to jump from "there are mistruths that the LDS preach that could cause people to go astray" to "anyone who follows LDS theology is condemned to hell eternally". I have noticed that you tend to turn things that are said into things that aren't said. Perhaps it would be best to stick to what is said, rather than jump to conclusions.

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Dont forget that the above quotes scripture was spoken just before Jesus was arrested and crucified, so the obvious meaning of "abide" goes beyond Christs 1st. Centuary earthly ministry
Thank you for reminding us all of the definition of abide, and its use in scripture. Did you have a point? I'm sure I can come up with one, but I'd rather not assume... I do it too much already.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So some members of the LDS church will be saved—as in go to heaven to live with God—while others won't. Is that an accurate summary? (I'm not looking to corner you here, I'm making sure I understand what you're saying)

Yes, as is true in all religions.

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It is extrapolation to jump from "there are mistruths that the LDS preach that could cause people to go astray" to "anyone who follows LDS theology is condemned to hell eternally". I have noticed that you tend to turn things that are said into things that aren't said. Perhaps it would be best to stick to what is said, rather than jump to conclusions.
Well it appears that you and I are the same, as I feel exactly the same way about other faiths. It also appears that I didn't extrapolate incorrectly, as you confirmed in a follow-up post that you do indeed have "concerns" that people who are led astray by LDS "mistruths" may just go to hell. Or did I incorrectly extrapolate that as well?

Upvote 0