KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, that is exactly right. If a Catholic teacher at a Catholic school uses contraceptive methods in private, nothing will happen to her. The school and the students do not even know about it so it causes them no harm. If she is unmarried and fornicates 3 times a day in private, nothing will happen to her. If she makes a public post on FB indicating that she uses birth-control drugs, then she should be fired because the Catholic church teaches that that is immoral. If she posts a photo of herself and her 3 F buddies in a hotel room after a sex-bout while on spring break, she should be fired. She is undermining the things that her school desires to convey to its students by her public action.

I don't know why there's the need to try and demonize gay people like this but for some reason it seems like a common practice.

Also, I wasn't talking about firing gay people. I was talking about employers whose religious views require them to promote equality firing people who, say, post on public forums endorsing policies of firing people because of their gender.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know why there's the need to try and demonize gay people like this but for some reason it seems like a common practice.
There is no demonization of gay people whatsoever. I already wrote that being gay is not a sin.

Notwithstanding, most Christian denominations teach that two people of the same gender engaging in sexual intercourse is sin, and that two people of the same gender may not marry. If you do not like that, too bad. You are welcome to start a religion or a school of your own and teach whatever it is you think is best.

You think that any Christian teaching that prohibits conduct that you deem acceptable is "demonization" do you not? Again, it seems that your ultimate aim is to attack the Christian faith and replace it with your own, atheistic, standards.

Also, I wasn't talking about firing gay people.
I must have misunderstood you. I thought that was the general topic of this thread.

I was talking about employers whose religious views require them to promote equality firing people who, say, post on public forums endorsing policies of firing people because of their gender.
Shouldn't that be the topic of a new thread?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is no demonization of gay people whatsoever. I already wrote that being gay is not a sin.

Notwithstanding, most Christian denominations teach that two people of the same gender engaging in sexual intercourse is sin, and that two people of the same gender may not marry.

How many straight people do that?

If one is working hard to single out behaviors that are inherent in the definition of being gay then it is kind of hard to make a distinction between targeting gays and targeting the behavior.

Kinda like trying to draw a distinction between "laws which target people who wear yarmulkes" and "laws which target Jews". I mean, I guess it might play well to certain audiences who are predisposed to needing rationalizations for believing there is a difference but most people aren't going to find it particularly convincing.

Shouldn't that be the topic of a new thread?

Not really - seems to fit in with the arguments that employers firing people who don't fit in with their religious beliefs is a valid expression of religious freedom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Not really - seems to fit in with the arguments that employers firing people who don't fit in with their religious beliefs is a valid expression of religious freedom.
I believe this is only legal for religious organizations. I would certainly hope so.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How many straight people do that?
I can't give you an exact number, but they do. Some do it for money, for example, by engaging in prostitution or inappropriate contentography. Other straight people experiment from time to time.

If one is working hard to single out behaviors that are inherent in the definition of being gay then it is kind of hard to make a distinction between targeting gays and targeting the behavior.
No, that activity is not inherent in being gay.

Merriam Webster: Gay: of, relating to, or characterized by sexual or romantic attraction to people of one's same sex

The definition does not state anything about engaging in sexual activity with a member of the same sex, and there are many gay Christians who chose not to have sex with members of their own gender. The activity is not inherent in being gay because many gay people do not do that activity.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe this is only legal for religious organizations. I would certainly hope so.
And bakeries, if I remember the arguments back when they didn't want to serve the wrong type of minorities.

Also, some hobby supply store seems to think their executives' religious beliefs gives them a reason to meddle in their employees' insurance.

It seems to be a pretty broadly applied concept.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I can't give you an exact number, but they do. Some do it for money, for example, by engaging in prostitution or inappropriate contentography. Other straight people experiment from time to time.

I was talking about the number of straight people who are in gay marriages.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
And bakeries, if I remember the arguments back when they didn't want to serve the wrong type of minorities.

Also, some hobby supply store seems to think their executives' religious beliefs gives them a reason to meddle in their employees' insurance.

It seems to be a pretty broadly applied concept.
That’s customers, not employees. The customer case hasn’t gotten to the Supreme Court yet. They managed to avoid deciding the issue for the one case they got.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
as i noted the studies did just that. I get you want to pretend that employment discrimination doesn't happen. But it does and there are the numbers

and can you guess what the courts said about the police officer you say can't be counted? Yep the courts said it was job discrimination.
Source of the court's language?

All I can find is this about what he does now: POLICE RECRUITS IN DISCUSSION ABOUT GAYS

"In the 12 years that Det. Michael Carney has been teaching police recruits about gay and lesbian issues, no future officer has ever stood up in class and admitted his or her sexual orientation.

Carney, president of the Gay Officer's Action League of New England, certainly didn't expect it at the Connecticut State Police Academy Thursday, where he and two other gay officers provided a training course for the first time in the department's history."

Yeah, THIS is what the police should be spending time on.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Source of the court's language?

All I can find is this about what he does now: POLICE RECRUITS IN DISCUSSION ABOUT GAYS

"In the 12 years that Det. Michael Carney has been teaching police recruits about gay and lesbian issues, no future officer has ever stood up in class and admitted his or her sexual orientation.

Carney, president of the Gay Officer's Action League of New England, certainly didn't expect it at the Connecticut State Police Academy Thursday, where he and two other gay officers provided a training course for the first time in the department's history."

Yeah, THIS is what the police should be spending time on.

if it helps counter the kind of hate you put out then it's time well spent

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That’s customers, not employees. The customer case hasn’t gotten to the Supreme Court yet. They managed to avoid deciding the issue for the one case they got.
The Hobby Lobby stuff was about using employer's claims about religious beliefs as an excuse to impose restrictions on their employees.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Hobby Lobby stuff was about using employer's claims about religious beliefs as an excuse to impose restrictions on their employees.
You're right. It would be interesting to see whether the Supreme Court would allow Hobby Lobby to fire gay workers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums