SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Civil Rights Law Protects L.G.B.T. Workers, Supreme Court Rules
The Supreme Court ruled Monday that a landmark civil rights law protects gay and transgender workers from workplace discrimination, handing the movement for L.G.B.T. equality a stunning victory.

The vote was 6 to 3, with Justice Neil M. Gorsuch writing the majority opinion. He was joined by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen G. Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.

The case concerned Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bars employment discrimination based on race, religion, national origin and sex. The question for the justices was whether that last prohibition — discrimination “because of sex”— applies to many millions of gay and transgender workers.

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
(With the exception of teaching in Christian schools
The sexual orientation of a teacher has nothing to do with their ability to teach a curriculum.

It's kinda like not hiring people with blue eyes as math teachers. What does the colour of one's eyes have to do with the ability to teach math effectively?

If religious organisations want to have only men as their top priests or such (I don't like that they can discriminate) but its their little club, they can do what they want.
But if they are going to provide a public service, such as teaching in schools then they ought to play by the same anti-discrimination laws as everyone else.

Upvote 0

Leet

Feb 24, 2015
✟77,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
^ it's going to depend on the teacher and the school. If an LGBTI teacher is going to teach in a Christian school, they're going to have to mind their Ps and Qs as far as certain subjects go. But this is ?probably? hypothetical anyway considering Christian schools would have Christian and bible believing staff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Also..... I must admit, I was thinking more along the lines of primary schools aka "elementary schools" where one teacher is teaching all subjects.
Gay people can teach all subjects just like non gay people can.

I don't think they have a requirement that teachers be without sin. Given their belief system that would mean noone would qualify.

And I don't think they have a requirement that the teachers themselves be Catholics or whatever.
And gays can be Catholics or whatever too.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,698.00
Faith
Atheist
It's about time for some good news.

I've noticed that often when a justice is safe from political striving, they vote according to what they really think the constitution is saying. Even Kavanaugh voted in a way that surprised me sometime in the last 6 months. This is at least the 2nd time Gorsuch voted in a way I agree with; John Roberts has done it a number of times.

Of course, there is a liberal or two and a conservative or two that never surprise, but that some of them can be swayed by, apparently, reasoned arguments makes me think that SCOTUS is the best thing the founders did.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
So in a private school of the Christian persuasion, I should be okay with a non-Christian, atheist or LGBTI person teaching religion, science, health?
No. Sorry.

I agree with you on that. A private religious school should be able to hire and fire in accordance with their beliefs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Stevil,
So in a private school of the Christian persuasion, I should be okay with a non-Christian, atheist or LGBTI person teaching religion, science, health?
No. Sorry.
I don't mean to shock you, but teachers at Catholic schools aren't required to be Catholic

The Special Character of a Catholic School | Catholic Education Office, Christchurch
A teacher applying for a position in a Catholic school needs to understand the commitment this involves.

1. All teachers, whether Catholic or not, are part of this "whole school community". Each teacher is therefore expected to use his or her specific skills to achieve the purposes of the school.

Scale A teachers (Tagged and non-tagged)
Tagged – a willingness and ability to take part in religious instruction appropriate to the special character of the school shall be a condition of employment.

Non-tagged – willingness to to support the special character of the school shall be a condition of employment.

It seems that some schools have this concept of "tagged" or "non-tagged". Non-tagged teachers don't do religious instruction.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Stevil,
No. Sorry.
What is wrong with a gay Christian teaching science in a Christian school?
What does the teacher's orientation have to do with their ability to teach the science curriculum?
Why do the student's even need to know the teacher's sexual orientation or preferences?

BTW, I have no idea whether my science teacher at school was gay or straight.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Stevil,
I don't know, secular schools seem fine with allowing Christians to work there.

Upvote 0