City Swears Off Swearing For One Week. Teen Inspires No Cussing Week.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
SOUTH PASADENA, Calif. -- We swear this story is true: it's No Cussing Week in South Pasadena.

The City Council passed a proclamation Wednesday, putting curse words off limits during the first week of every March.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/15512829/detail.html

wademay4

May 1, 2007
✟15,524.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
let's have a week to celebrate language demonized for no good reason! let's all say shoot and darn even though that's just CODE for those words. We feel better now.
Ha ha, no doubt. I've never really understood why people are so afraid of words. Its pointless.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They did a story on the news about the teenager that in charge of this.The reason that he want's to do this is because everywhere he went all he would hear is bad words.I live in California and Cussing really annoying down here.I hope it work out even though I dont expect them to be perfect.To me it's sad a teenager has to take the first step.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adivi

Feb 21, 2008
✟15,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I read a book called The Stuff of Thought, and it had some really interesting things to say about the origins of swearing. Swears that refer to bodily excretory functions, such as p*ss and sh*t, are generally taboo because they refer to bodily excretions that are prime vectors for disease, so the names became vulgar by association.

Upvote 0

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
let's have a week to celebrate language demonized for no good reason! let's all say shoot and darn even though that's just CODE for those words. We feel better now.
yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. It's the meaning behind the word...not the word itself.

But I cuss a lot anyway...I don't think I'd make it there :p

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
SOUTH PASADENA, Calif. -- We swear this story is true: it's No Cussing Week in South Pasadena.

The City Council passed a proclamation Wednesday, putting curse words off limits during the first week of every March.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/15512829/detail.html

Screw that! I am an adult and I will cuss all I want in my personal life! The government will NOT impede on my rights of free speech as long as I'm not harming anyone else. Granted I'm not going to scream obscenities at the top of my lungs in a public atmosphere. The point is that cussing is not against the law and to have this kind of thing enacted is down right silly. Aren't there more important things to worry about than if the guy down the street says S*** a bit too much?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like a good idea if you ask me. :) Not saying it'll work or that's even Constitutional but its still a good idea.
Thankyou, At least I wasn't the only one that thought it was a good idea.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Screw that! I am an adult and I will cuss all I want in my personal life! The government will NOT impede on my rights of free speech as long as I'm not harming anyone else. Granted I'm not going to scream obscenities at the top of my lungs in a public atmosphere. The point is that cussing is not against the law and to have this kind of thing enacted is down right silly. Aren't there more important things to worry about than if the guy down the street says S*** a bit too much?
I agree it your right,but I get irritated when I take kid under 5 or 6 year fore a walk and all we keep hearing are bad words,especialy at little kids parks,play area's and preschools.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree it your right,but I get irritated when I take kid under 5 or 6 year fore a walk and all we keep hearing are bad words,especialy at little kids parks,play area's and preschools.

I agree that people cussing around kids is totally inappropriate..thats why I make sure there are no children around when I do cuss and if my friends are cussing with kids around I quickly tell them to stop. Theres a time and a place for it, people just need to learn common decency and thats another issue entirely.

Upvote 0