City bars paintings with Bible verses

molder

May 18, 2005
✟702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
[FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]An artist filed a federal civil-rights lawsuit against a Colorado city for removing two paintings because they include Bible quotations.

[/FONT][FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Award-winning painter Sharon Marolf, represented by the Arizona-based Alliance Defense Fund, had two of her pieces displayed at a city recreation center in Delta, Colo., before someone complained of being offended by the Bible verses.[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Links: http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50443

[/FONT]http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/news/story.aspx?cid=3768

http://www.deltacountyindependent.com/Issues/2006/04-19/delta/art.html

The sweet air of liberty must be replaced with an invisible gas that detects, exterminates, and suffocates any breath that would expel a religious word in public life. Publicly, religion must be totally repressed, so that soon only atheists will find the public atmosphere comfortable.
http://www.nationalreview.com/novak/novak071202.asp

ApocryphaNow

Nov 9, 2005
State College, PA
✟978.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
As a permanent piece, I'm not sure I would enjoy artwork with a religious message. On the other hand, if a rotating roster of different artists were asked to contribute works every few months or year or so, that would be a different story. I enjoy seeing plurality of perspective.
Since this display did not seem to be permanent, I think this was a mistake and really takes things a bit further than they need to go.

Upvote 0

Gramaic

Sinophobic
Sep 20, 2005
Greater Los Angeles
✟9,413.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jacque said:
Ha. The next thing you know priests won't be able to go into public buildings, and their kids won't be able to go to public schools.

I know what you mean. All this anti-Christian sentiment that's been ocurring lately is becoming ridiculous!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Doctrine1st said:
This is a bit over the top.

Granted, there are some underhanded attempts to force Christianity on everyone, but this isn't one of them. People need to save their bullets from the real battle to keep freedom from religion free.

It's
Freedom OF Religion
NOT
Freedom From Religion.

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Quantos said:
It's
Freedom OF Religion
NOT
Freedom From Religion.
It's both.

One is free to choose religion, any religion, while others are free not to choose any religion. :)

That's where issues such as Christian prayers over the school intercom or a school assembly come to play.

Upvote 0

Nightson

Take two snuggles and call me in the morning
Jul 11, 2005
California
✟5,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Quantos said:
It's
Freedom OF Religion
NOT
Freedom From Religion.

It goes like this:

People's freedom of religion
AND
Government's fredom from religion

Can't have the first without the second. Seperation of Church and State, started right here in America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

george78

Loathed
Aug 4, 2005
✟17,138.00
Faith
Utrecht

Hey, you don't have to provide the "reputable news source" crowd on here with any other links. The ones you provided in the first place were perfectly ok.

Don't pay any attention to the folks that try to bash WND, Agape, Lifesite ect... If they want to ignore reality, let em. It's not your responsibility to provide news that they like.

Not to mention that the "reputable" news sources that they call for, have been caught in some rather bold-faced lies as of late.

In fact, I am going to start asking for "reputable news sources" when the drive-by media stories get held up as gospel.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If they want to ignore reality, let em.

Lifestie and reality don't seem to mix. All media is subject to mistakes errors and even lies, but almost every single story linked thus far from lifesite has been shown to be false, distorted or uncofirmed. I think they had 1 article that was ever that was confirmed. WND and Agape follow a similar suit, but tend to be considerably better then Lifesite.

Fox, CNN, ABC, NBC, etc., might be farm from flawless, but they do nothing on the scale of WND, Agape, and especially Lifesite.

Upvote 0