Where's the criticism from the right about McCain dumping his wife and marrying rich?

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Uh, no, it's in the real book of values call the Bible. First of all, no one is approving of McCain's actions 30 years ago!

But after one admits to faults, the good book does say all is forgiven. Again, it's no ok, but it is forgiven.

And I repeat, this "abandoning" took place 30 years ago! I wonder if you'd like to have some of your very ancient past dredged up?

And when will all this "tit-for-tat" stuff end? Yes, certain conservatives did go overboard regarding John Kerry. So, if that was wrong, aren't you doing the same thing?

I think you're missing the point. I, too, think it was 30 yrs ago and is water under the bridge at this point. But the right winged pundits and many on this board ripped Kerry apart for marrying rich, but have remained silent regarding McCain. It's blatant hypocrisy. If they're going to be objective and "fair and balanced" then they should criticize McCain.

But instead we see excuses like "Oh he admitted fault" or "It was a long time ago". By that logic, then since Obama has admitted fault with Reverend Wright, it should be a non-issue as well.

At the end of the day its many on the right, once again, putting petty partisan politics above principle.

Upvote 0

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well he's anti-abortion so obviously anything else he does just doesn't matter. Because all this country's problems center around abortion (I've had people say that to me.)

Abortion is a symptom of a problem that can't be fixed with political laws.

Only Christ can make people righteous.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect a big reason that the right doesn't criticize McCain for marrying rich is that he doesn't build his entire political career on attacking "the rich" for not paying their "fair share" like the Dems mentioned in the OP do.

But the "right", including the right wing punditry, does make a big deal about "family values" and the "defense of marriage". Should they not be critical of McCain for his actions, or at least acknowledge these actions as bad and move on? It appears to be a terrible double standard.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

I'll remember that. It's ok to abandon your ugly first wife as long as you admit that you're at fault. Is that in the "family values" handbook?

No, but he has repented. He asked for a divorce and gave her two houses plus ongoing medical treatment. They remain on good terms. What should be do..divorce his second wife and go back to the first?

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, but he has repented.
link?

He asked for a divorce and gave her two houses
...and he still has 8 more? :eek:

plus ongoing medical treatment.
So...she's sick? :confused:

They remain on good terms.
I'm wondering who she's voting for this year? :sorry:

What should be do..divorce his second wife and go back to the first?
I suspect the reason behind this thread isn't so much to have that happen as to perhaps point out there seems to be a double standard being used by conservatives. :scratch:
tulc(is just guessing though) :)

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No need to link any story about him taking blame for the divorce. I don't think that is in dispute.
Yeah, I'm having trouble finding a story where he doesn't take responsibility for divorcing his disabled wife and adopted kids to marry the beautiful rich woman. :sigh:

There is no double standard.
Well...that's still under discussion. :sorry:
tulc(just sayn') :cool:

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, but he has repented. He asked for a divorce and gave her two houses plus ongoing medical treatment. They remain on good terms. What should be do..divorce his second wife and go back to the first?

You're Catholic. Tell me what the Catholic Church teaches about this situation.

But again, may I reiterate, this thread is not about McCain's decision to dishonor his marriage vows. It's about the hypocrisy of the right wing punditry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

jamesrwright3

But again, may I reiterate, this thread is not about McCain's decision to dishonor his marriage vows. It's about the hypocrisy of the right wing punditry.

It doesn't matter what the Catholic church thinks about it...since it's not my situation. All depends on what McCain's faith says about it.

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't matter what the Catholic church thinks about it...since it's not my situation. All depends on what McCain's faith says about it.

Secret code for "the right who criticized Kerry but not McCain are hypocrites, but I'll talk about something else instead". I could care less about McCain and his marriages, what's been done has been done. The issue here is that many who slammed Kerry are giving McCain a free pass. There is a double standard.

Upvote 0

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And I repeat, this "abandoning" took place 30 years ago! I wonder if you'd like to have some of your very ancient past dredged up?
Well, the GOP doesn't seem to mind dragging up McCain's even-more-ancient past in Vietnam to deem him qualified for the presidency today. :)

But I would also like to hear the answer to Grizzly's question. Why aren't the same people who so resoundingly denounced Kerry now criticizing McCain? Or, really, does the fact that he said 'my bad' make it all better?

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
While there are genuine moralists on the Right who do condemn McCain, as a whole "morality" for the Right in this country is whatever serves the interests of the corporations and the wealthy elite.

If a candidate has a platform that might reduce corporate profits and raise taxes on the rich, that candidate's adultery is a fundamental commentary on his character and calls his leadership ability and integrity into serious question. If, on the other hand, the candidate is a corporatist or a plutocrat, then as long as he said he's sorry, it's no big deal, people make mistakes, and in the end one hand washes the other.

Upvote 0
B

Braunwyn

I was raised Catholic and ime (w/family members etc) it really depends on how much money the couple is willing to shell out.

True, but I don't think we should ignore his gross actions as some would like. Not only did he leave his crippled wife, he cheated on her with several women and married a woman 18 years younger than him? Come on, that is disturbing.

If we were instead talking about Obama forget about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was raised Catholic and ime (w/family members etc) it really depends on how much money the couple is willing to shell out.

I was also raised catholic. I remember the "annulment" process.

If we were instead talking about Obama forget about it.

This is the part that really drives me crazy. If Obama had left his crippled wife, cheated on her, and married some younger rich woman, the Right Wing media would be falling over themselves to talk about it (kinda like they did to Kerry). How these pundits have any credibility with anyone is a mystery to me.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

Secret code for "the right who criticized Kerry but not McCain are hypocrites, but I'll talk about something else instead". I could care less about McCain and his marriages, what's been done has been done. The issue here is that many who slammed Kerry are giving McCain a free pass. There is a double standard.

I think if anyone slammed Kerry it was because he married into money not once, but twice. It definitlely appeared Kerry was gunning for babes with money. McCain happened to marry someone that was rich..once.

Reactions: Pepperoni
Upvote 0

PatrickM

What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????
Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think you're missing the point. I, too, think it was 30 yrs ago and is water under the bridge at this point. But the right winged pundits and many on this board ripped Kerry apart for marrying rich, but have remained silent regarding McCain. It's blatant hypocrisy. If they're going to be objective and "fair and balanced" then they should criticize McCain.
For something he did 30 years ago? Why? What would the news story be?
But instead we see excuses like "Oh he admitted fault" or "It was a long time ago". By that logic, then since Obama has admitted fault with Reverend Wright, it should be a non-issue as well.
Actually, Obama never admitted "fault", he merely said the Rev. wasn't the man he knew 20 yrs ago. And he did this just a few months ago.
At the end of the day its many on the right, once again, putting petty partisan politics above principle.
And which principle is this? To hammer a guy who made a mistake 30 years ago?

This isn't even newsworthy. How would you have this "story" played out? Should they cut into the DNC Convention with "Breaking News" that McCain made a mistake 3 decades ago?

And, please, let's be honest here. There are some cable news networks (I won't mention them here :D) which completely avoided Edwards' very recent "mistake" until it he made a statement about it. Even though the story had been out for weeks before.

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think if anyone slammed Kerry it was because he married into money not once, but twice. It definitlely appeared Kerry was gunning for babes with money. McCain happened to marry someone that was rich..once.

Double standard.

For something he did 30 years ago? Why? What would the news story be?

Actually, Obama never admitted "fault", he merely said the Rev. wasn't the man he knew 20 yrs ago. And he did this just a few months ago.
And which principle is this? To hammer a guy who made a mistake 30 years ago?

This isn't even newsworthy. How would you have this "story" played out? Should they cut into the DNC Convention with "Breaking News" that McCain made a mistake 3 decades ago?

And, please, let's be honest here. There are some cable news networks (I won't mention them here :D) which completely avoided Edwards' very recent "mistake" until it he made a statement about it. Even though the story had been out for weeks before.

So I see, there's some sort of statute of limitations? If its more than 30 yrs ago, its off limits? But if its recent, its OK? Then if we follow your logic, no one should talk about McCain's military service. After all it was over 30 years ago and since according to you, things that happened that long ago have no relevance today.

You guys are ridiculous in the length you go to in defending the double standard.

Upvote 0