Citing ‘Relations Between the Catholic Church and the Orthodox,’ Ukraine Moves Christmas and Other Feasts to Gregorian Calendar

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Friday signed a law moving the official Christmas Day holiday to Dec. 25 from Jan. 7, the day when the Russian Orthodox Church observes it.

The explanatory note attached to the law said its goal is to "abandon the Russian heritage," including that of "imposing the celebration of Christmas" on Jan. 7. It cited Ukrainians' "relentless, successful struggle for their identity" and "the desire of all Ukrainians to live their lives with their own traditions, holidays," fueled by Russia's 17-month-old aggression against the country.

Last year, some Ukrainians already observed Christmas on Dec. 25, in a gesture that represented separation from Russia, its culture and religious traditions.

Continued below.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Friday signed a law moving the official Christmas Day holiday to Dec. 25 from Jan. 7, the day when the Russian Orthodox Church observes it.

The explanatory note attached to the law said its goal is to "abandon the Russian heritage," including that of "imposing the celebration of Christmas" on Jan. 7. It cited Ukrainians' "relentless, successful struggle for their identity" and "the desire of all Ukrainians to live their lives with their own traditions, holidays," fueled by Russia's 17-month-old aggression against the country.

Last year, some Ukrainians already observed Christmas on Dec. 25, in a gesture that represented separation from Russia, its culture and religious traditions.

Continued below.
Didn't the Christianisation of "Rus" begin in Kiev? Thus they are abandoning their own heritage rather than a supposed "Russian" one.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just read this:

The conversion was born of a pact with Byzantine Emperor Basil II, who promised his sister's hand in marriage in exchange for military aid and the adoption of Christianity by the Kievan state… seems both Russia and Ukrainian were pagan way, way back.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Until we know the outcome of the war it's difficult to know where this will end.

I think Putin's days are numbered one way or another, either as Russian leader or perhaps permanently. But he's a survivor and he may have a surprise in store for everyone.

I keep thinking of Padre Pio's observation that "...Russia will teach the United States a lesson in conversion."

I think this link is a bit premature with its conjectures, but it does give some background.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I just read this:

The conversion was born of a pact with Byzantine Emperor Basil II, who promised his sister's hand in marriage in exchange for military aid and the adoption of Christianity by the Kievan state… seems both Russia and Ukrainian were pagan way, way back.
Moscow more recently pagan than Kiev.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Continued below.
He isn't even Christian, and Russians aren't the only ones who celebrate on Jan. 7

Upvote 0