Circumcision?

W

WashedClean

Gifted_Christian said:
Your all are wrong. The Jews were cirsumsized they did it for one reason, it desensitizes the penis. They did this so that they wouldn't go around with an erection all day because of a woman. They wanted to be pure and whole to God and God only. They were only aroused when they were having sex with their wives. Other than that, it's preatty hard to get an erection with a circumsized penis.

Scripture reference please!

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
so many non-christians have posted here that i'm not certain whether the thread was originally from GA. (please note that only christians can give answers in this forum)

but anyhow, looking at the direction it's taking... thread moved to GA.

Upvote 0

freyajem

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2005
Nova Scotia
✟5,552.00
Faith
Christian
Well, I'll give an answer anyway, uneducated, but from the heart. From what I have seen in my marriage, circumcision does not hinder erection. From what I know and from the URL up above, the foreskin has advantages.

My question - does it say anywhere in the New Testament that males have to be circumcised. I know Christ was but that was 2000 years ago. We know different things now.

Upvote 0

stillsmallvoice

The Narn rule!
May 8, 2002
Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟18,467.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

As an orthodox Jewish man, I say that, with all due respect, this

Your all are wrong. The Jews were cirsumsized they did it for one reason, it desensitizes the penis. They did this so that they wouldn't go around with an erection all day because of a woman. They wanted to be pure and whole to God and God only. They were only aroused when they were having sex with their wives. Other than that, it's preatty hard to get an erection with a circumsized penis.

is utter balderdash (for want of a somewhat cruder term having to do with male bovine excrement).

Be well!

ssv :wave:

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As Christians.....all of us are to be circumsized....men, woman, and children....EVERYONE! But I'm not talking physically.....but in your heart.....we are to be taken up into the heart of God and be one with him, cutting off our old self and starting fresh as a Christian.

Now....the last post....I found that quite interesting......although I do not know the difference in how it feels to be physically circumsized or not....I do know that the purpose is to keep clean....it is much easier to keep a penis clean if it is circumsized than not.....(health class....good for something I guess....)

Upvote 0

refitor

Jan 29, 2005
✟126.00
Faith
Christian
All that I have ever learned and heard about circumcision, Biblically and medically leads me to conclude that one should follow his/own "convictions"/beliefs on this matter.

According to the New Testament, we are not contrained by the laws of the Old Testament.

As I've learned previously, "there is no strong medical evidence for or against circumcision" -W. Scott McDougal, M.D., Abstract Printed in J. Urol., 159: 326, 1997.

I hope this helps:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MyLittleWonders

Crunchy Mommy!
Jan 27, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟1,265.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
freyajem said:
My question - does it say anywhere in the New Testament that males have to be circumcised. I know Christ was but that was 2000 years ago. We know different things now.

My question back, though, would be: What would Jesus have done? If He had a son, would He have circumcised him? Jesus, when He made His famous speech about not abolishing the law, did just that - He did not make it null and void, He did not teach that suddenly we were not under the covenants G-d had thus far made with His people. He "fulfilled" the law - rabbinically speaking, He interpretted it correctly and showed us how we were to live the Torah. "Come, follow Me" means just that - look at how I keep the Torah and keep it as I do. Personally, I take what He says above that which any of the apostles say. Originally, G-d gave Abraham the covenant of circumcism:

Genesis 17:10 - "This is My covenant, which you shall keep, between Me and you, and your descendants after you: every male among you shall be circumcised."

Just prior to G-d giving Abraham the convenant, He gave Abraham this promise:

Genesis 17:5 - "No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I will make you the father of a multitude of nations."

G-d promised that not only will Abraham have descendants, but they would be a multitude of nations - not just one nation (the Jewish people). He was foretelling Abraham of His promise to graft in the Gentiles into the family of Abraham. Paul makes this point clear in Galatians 3:

"Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham." vs. 7

If we (as Gentiles) are sons of Abraham due to our faith, then we are sons of the covenant G-d made with Abraham some 4000 years ago. Yes, the NT makes it clear that circumcism is not necessary for salvation - Paul's letters stress that it is our faith that saves us. But, that does not opt us out of following through on obeying G-d's commands. Jesus stated over and over that we are to follow His commands; that we are to be perfect as our Father is perfect.

"By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked." 1 John 2:5-6

By the way, the idea of circumcising one's heart is not unique to the NT - Jeremiah brings it up too:

"For thus says the Lord to the men of Judah and to Jerusalem, ... 'Circumcise yourselves to the Lord and remove the foreskins of your heart ... ." Jeremiah 4:3-4

The Jerusalem Council of Acts 15 definitely listed what was require of Gentiles when they accepted Jesus as their Messiah, but they didn't leave the requirements at simply abstaining from blood, meat that was strangled, that which was offered to idols, nor fornication. After James' decision, it states that Moses (the Torah) was being taught each week in the synagogues (weekly parashah [sp?] - Torah portion for the week), and that the Gentiles would get the rest of the commandments (including the covenant of circumcism) there.

Upvote 0