May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Specifically, the leaders of the Greek Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic, Syriac Orthodox, Catholic and Evangelical Churches in Turkey came together at the Fener Greek Patriarchate in the Balat neighborhood of İstanbul on the occasion of the book release, according to a Today’s Zaman report. The book explains the basic principles of the Christian religion to Turkish Muslims.
Did they just come together for release of the book or is there more to it than that?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hmm, depending on how basic they mean, that could be a good thing. I have heard from Muslim friends of mine that one of the reasons they can't take Christianity seriously is that everybody seems to want an exception for his particular church (because I had brought up that it's wrong to blame my church for the Crusades when that is primarily a Western church phenomenon). It seems to them, I suppose, that Christianity is too messy to be considered as a cohesive religion. So maybe this would do some good in dispelling that notion and showing that, yes, we really do have at least some basic commonalities of belief that don't vary.

Anything more than that and I'd be skeptical as to what the need is for having such disparate groups come together in the land that basically created the system by which we were set apart from one another (under the millet system, which is still in place in some ways, e.g., the restrictions on the respective Patriarchs of the Greeks and the Armenians in Turkey). Is this a testament to just how bad things have gotten in Turkey? I know the Syriacs are not so slowly disappearing (with help from the government vis-a-vis their confiscation of Dayro Mor Gabriel), though I don't know anything about the demographics of the Greeks or the Evangelicals. Maybe this is a way to try to soften Turkish society's stance towards its minorities. In which case, good, I guess. I would think that the government is the main problem, though. Erdogan is the devil's cabana boy.

I dunno. Turkey sucks.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The five main Christian Churches of Istanbul came together for the first time in 1,700 years on account of the release of the book “Basic Principles of Christianity” written by a council of the aforementioned churches.
That is what the actual subtitle to the article reads ;)

We have to remember that since various schisms took place in the last 1,700 the leaders of the churches have never been together in the same place or anything. I'm hopeful that this could be a step in the right direction between us and our OO brethren.

Upvote 0