Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I attend a Southern Baptist church, although personally I don't line up with Baptist doctrine 100%. 90% is close enough IMO, since the areas where the church and I differ aren't all that consequential. I don't believe it was necessarily a literal six-day creation week, for example, but I don't care if others do believe that. The only thing that *would* bug me is if they were to tell me, if I don't believe it, then I'm not saved or not a Christian. I can't imagine anyone at my church saying such a thing.

Doctrinally I have never heard error preached from the pulpit at the church I attend. People in Sunday School classes have made remarks I can't get in line with, but they are not speaking officially for the church.

I do have trouble at times, fitting in. I occasionally feel that to do so, I would have to be a conservative Republican--but the head deacon has assured me he is (gasp) a Liberal, and that makes me much more comfortable. Besides, my husband and I are just as much members of the congregation as anyone, and we have the same right that they do to speak up. We have taken to doing that now, whenever anyone starts trying to throw politics into the discussion during Sunday School. We will say it isn't the place to discuss that, or we will say that we disagree with what was just stated. (Example, a right-winger started bashing unions during Sunday School, and right away my husband, who belongs to one, reminded him of the power-hungry corrupt managers which are the reason unions exist. The head deacon's wife nodded in agreement with my husband, and the discussion thankfully ended.) I've also made it perfectly clear to the pastor how I feel about mixing political debate with church activity. Lately, the problem seems to have improved.

There is a lot to like about the church I go to, and a lot of good people, but frankly I would probably have left it some time ago if my husband didn't enjoy it so much. I feel it is important that we go together.

Upvote 0

Octorock

Octorockin'
Jun 12, 2010
California
✟8,288.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I do miss the social aspect of church, or rather, the social potential. I never did fit into church culture myself, so it's inaccurate to say that I miss what I never truly experienced. However, church is one of the easiest ways to surround one's self with people in a social environment. It's just a shame that the majority of those people would rather try to micromanage my life than be my friend. If only there was some sort of concept LIKE church, in that people can get together and socialize quite easily, without most of those people feeling a need to criticize the private lives of the others that they meet there.

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do miss the social aspect of church, or rather, the social potential. I never did fit into church culture myself, so it's inaccurate to say that I miss what I never truly experienced. However, church is one of the easiest ways to surround one's self with people in a social environment. It's just a shame that the majority of those people would rather try to micromanage my life than be my friend. If only there was some sort of concept LIKE church, in that people can get together and socialize quite easily, without most of those people feeling a need to criticize the private lives of the others that they meet there.
What do you think would happen if you started something? Like a peer group that met at a coffee shop on a regular, or at your home over burgers and snacks?

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you think would happen if you started something? Like a peer group that met at a coffee shop on a regular, or at your home over burgers and snacks?

Oooh, good idea.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

withak

Aug 9, 2010
UK
Visit site
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Id say if online fellowship was your only source then probably not. I think its great that we can pray for each other on here, but it's doing life with each other that's going to grow and edify us as Christians.

I think we can form relationships on places like these but i think that it is limited.

Reactions: AngelusSax
Upvote 0

Avonia

Just look through the telescope . . .
Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did this for about 5 years. We didn't meet every week, but when we did, there would be a focus. Sometimes we would explore a specific spiritual practice - like meditation. Sometimes we would explore a topic - like dreams.

Other people heard about our circle and started their own. Some of them are still meeting.

I will have to say the fact that we prepared really good food together (and maybe even had a bit of wine together) did help sustain enthusiasm. Some of the other circles had a harder time thriving.

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did this for about 5 years. We didn't meet every week, but when we did, there would be a focus. Sometimes we would explore a specific spiritual practice - like meditation. Sometimes we would explore a topic - like dreams.

Other people heard about our circle and started their own. Some of them are still meeting.

I will have to say the fact that we prepared really good food together (and maybe even had a bit of wine together) did help sustain enthusiasm. Some of the other circles had a harder time thriving.
It's cool to hear your experience with this.

I've been part of different groups in this town, and it seems to be true that "if you feed them (well) they will come."

One of the regular Bible studies I'm in starts with a casual potluck; eating together does bond people. I understand this is true in just about any relationship: the more senses you activate together, the more connections you can make with each other. It's like sense association.

Another way to look at "Communion".

I'm sure the focusing also helped.

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's cool to hear your experience with this.

I've been part of different groups in this town, and it seems to be true that "if you feed them (well) they will come."

One of the regular Bible studies I'm in starts with a casual potluck; eating together does bond people. I understand this is true in just about any relationship: the more senses you activate together, the more connections you can make with each other. It's like sense association.

Another way to look at "Communion".

I'm sure the focusing also helped.
Sharing a meal together is extremely important and very worshipful and connecting. Most of the time the disciples began to understand Jesus (however dimly), was during the breaking of the bread - sharing a meal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
✟7,795.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said on my intro post, my wife and I do attend a UUA congregation occasionally. However, my wife has much the more energy and trust for it, partially because they have a strong women's group in which she is active.

I've been burned very badly by churches in the past. As such, it's hard for me to fully trust even liberal churches.

I don't think online fellowship is a substitute for a functional church where you fit in, where you feel at home, and where people accept you for who you are as I believe Jesus accepted people. But it does beat nothing, and it can help if your church for whatever reasons isn't these things for you.

Upvote 0

Avonia

Just look through the telescope . . .
Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
As I said on my intro post, my wife and I do attend a UUA congregation occasionally. However, my wife has much the more energy and trust for it, partially because they have a strong women's group in which she is active.
Have you ever visited a Church of Religious Science? This is the Science of the Mind, Ernest Holmes stuff (not to be confused with Scientology). In my part of the country, there is a rather interesting church. Although I'll have to say there have been varying experiences with this group in different parts of the country - ranging from quite odd to quite great.

In my admittedly limited experience with both, UUA is a bit more "anything goes because we can't know for sure," where Religious Science is more along the lines of exploring different pathways to truth. Religious Science seems a bit more disciplined, but equally open. The local congregation here will have speakers and guests from may traditions - not just the Christian tradition. Many of them are known internationally - authors and such.

Take this with a grain of salt. Although I've had positive experiences with Religious Science, I've only had a handful. I'm not a member. And I've only had a handful of experiences with UUA. These have been positive as well.

Well wishes for your quest!

Upvote 0

Octorock

Octorockin'
Jun 12, 2010
California
✟8,288.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever visited a Church of Religious Science? This is the Science of the Mind, Ernest Holmes stuff (not to be confused with Scientology). In my part of the country, there is a rather interesting church. Although I'll have to say there have been varying experiences with this group in different parts of the country - ranging from quite odd to quite great.

In my admittedly limited experience with both, UUA is a bit more "anything goes because we can't know for sure," where Religious Science is more along the lines of exploring different pathways to truth. Religious Science seems a bit more disciplined, but equally open. The local congregation here will have speakers and guests from may traditions - not just the Christian tradition. Many of them are known internationally - authors and such.

Take this with a grain of salt. Although I've had positive experiences with Religious Science, I've only had a handful. I'm not a member. And I've only had a handful of experiences with UUA. These have been positive as well.

Well wishes for your quest!

Does Religious Science have anything to do with Christian Science? Or are those two different groups?

Upvote 0