Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So when OP says that the AOG are more reserved, in my experience, that is far from the truth. It's the most charismatic church services you'll find. They'll be a lot of people speaking in tongues, jumping up and down.
Welcome to CF 'Solum Aeternum'! Remember when David danced before the Lord, I think he was the first to demonstrate for us the celebration of the charismatic response. This was blessed as genuine on that occasion and would have had the Apostle's sign of approval as well.
They'll be a lot of people speaking in tongues,
The more tongues equals the more blessed of God? The Apostle Paul was quite detailed on tongues you know. To equate the frequency of tongues with a greater frequency or intensity of God''s blessing IS POSSIBLE so long as it doesn't stray from those things we should know by heart spoken by the Apostle. Is that frequency of potentially the whole congregation speaking in tongues:

Spoken by only one or two at the most at a time, in order, so the unlearned who might be visiting won't be impressed with cult-like madness that has overtaken the assembly.

Upvote 0

retired firefighter

Jul 14, 2023
Vian
✟9,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone. Im new at this forum but I have a question that maybe someone can give me a little insight on. First off I was not raised in a Christian home but the Lord used a friend when I was a teenager to invite me to church. After a while I accepted Jesus as my Savior.

Anyway the church I went to was a Church of God (cleveland tn) and this was in New York State where I grew up. (It was about 15 years ago and that church has since grown alot) Anyway I immediately felt welcome in this church and the people were wonderful as was the pastor. Unfortunately I had to move out of state a few years ago to Pennsylvania. As soon as I moved I looked to find the closest Church of God and there aren't any. But there were lots of Assemblies of God churches, so after attending 3 or 4 different ones we found one that we are still attending.

Now, the church we go to is great, and the people are great and there is no doubt in my mind that they are true Christians, but I always find myself comparing the AOG to my old church and I wish the AOG was more like the Church of God. For instance, It seems that in the AOG churches I went to and the one I now attend the music is very contemporary and hard to sing. In fact I dont think most people sing along at all. In my old church they sing more traditional hymns and chorsus that had a gospel music feel to it and it was so loud because everyone sang and clapped, you could probably hear them from down the road. In the AOG it also seems like the people are very reserved whereas in the COG it seemed like in every service people were on fire for God. There was no doubt that the Holy Spirit was among the people in that church. Even the sermons are a little different. The COG pastor always preaches about salvation, bearing your cross and following Jesus, living a holy life, reaching the lost for Christ etc... and the AOG pastor, although he will touch upon those subjects a little, mostly preaches about lighter issues.

My question is, are all Assemblies of God this way and all Church of God this way? Or is it a geographical thing? Or is it the pastors style? Its funny because if you read the beliefs between the 2 churches they are almost identical. And they are both Pentecostal. But spending the past few years in both of these churches I can see a difference.

Thank you and God Bless
don't be afraid to visit an Full Gospel church

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟989,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
don't be afraid to visit an Full Gospel church
Admittedly, I haven't supplied myself with that list. Hopefully, some have resolved their differences. But, wherever that full Gospel may be found. very small or very large, the Spirit is interestingly able to speak in that same power. A holy, cleansing power to that pure time of refreshing. He is able to watch over His floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but here are my experiences. I'm 29 and been in an AOG (we just call it AG) all my life however I'm part of the Hispanic Eastern District. So when OP says that the AOG are more reserved, in my experience, that is far from the truth. It's the most charismatic church services you'll find. They'll be a lot of people speaking in tongues, jumping up and down. Songs are current I agree but most modern songs they sing are slowish songs. The faster songs is what gets people dancing in the spirit. I'm used to it by now, I been to other services in other denominations where people sit there, clap, praise but don't go over the top and it's always a surreal experience for me.
Interesting/informative comment.
---
I was involved in AOG..years ago..
- served as associate pastor.
- Spiritual gifts were allowed/manifested..at the meetings/service.
---
It also had..Hispanic ministry.
---
I remember..attending Church of God meetings/service..
- a few times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0