York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Revelation 2:1 “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: ‘The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands.

2 “‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. 3 I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary. 4 But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. 6 Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. 7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’

Jesus compliments this Church for their good works, He commends them for their hard work, and patience. To be patient is certainly a virtue, and one that most of us do not possess. This leader of this church and the people, seem to be working for the Lord. This Church done many things good, but the Ephesian’s passion and fervor for Christ had become cold, mechanical orthodoxy. Their doctrinal and moral purity, their undiminished zeal for the truth, and their disciplined service were no substitute for the love for Christ they had forsaken.

There is no substitute for undivided, fervent, undying love for Jesus Christ. Jesus warned the church at Ephesus to “repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.” He warned that if they did not repent, judgment would fall. They would no longer be a true light and witness to the world.

How many of our churches today are lifeless, dull, and mechanical? How many lack the light and witness of Christ and His power? The condition in this church, and in our churches and individual lives, did not happen overnight. It was a gradual process whereby believers left their “first” love, their passionate “bridal” love for Christ. The “first love” to which Christ called the church in Ephesus to return can be with the “bridal” love in a marriage relationship.

God expects holiness and righteousness of His people, and even more than that, He wants our pure love for Him.

You see, all the good deeds are for nothing, if we do not love God first. Now, I am not saying not to do good deeds, but whatever your life is, it is irrelevant, if you do not love God.

A new bride is so in love with her husband that he is the central focus of her life. When she takes her wedding vows, she promises to forsake all others and give herself solely to him. She eagerly anticipates his desires and lovingly tries to meet all his needs. She spends every possible moment with him. In this “bridal love” relationship, there is a special intimacy that develops between the bride and her bridegroom. She longs to know everything possible about him. She opens her heart to him, revealing her innermost secrets and desires. While they are apart from one another, she longs for him and eagerly anticipates when she will be with him once again. Because of her love, the bride puts her bridegroom first, before all else, including her own needs, desires, and ambitions.

It is this type of pure, fervent, self sacrificing “bridal love” for Christ that made the disciples willing to give themselves 100% for the cause of Christ. It was this type of love that burned up their own selfish desires, motivated them to serve Christ with single hearted devotion, and made them willing to lay down their lives for the cause of Christ. It is this type of love that we must have burning within us to enable us to fulfill the purposes of God in these final moments of time before Christ’s return. Just as Christ called the church in Ephesus to return to their first love, He is walking among us today, calling us to repent and return to our first love.

If to love God is the biggest commandment, not to love God is the biggest sin also. If Jesus comes now and you love things more than Him, how do you expect Him to take you to Heaven? There is a reason Paul, after being in Heaven, said that love is the most important.

Love Jesus first, and everything else will follow. How do you love Him first? By giving Him your heart and obeying His commandments. There's nothing more important than that.

Last edited:

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God expects holiness and righteousness of His people, and even more than that, He wants our pure love for Him.
Yes! And holiness and righteousness flow from pure love of Him!
If to love God is the biggest commandment, not to love God is the biggest sin also.
Yep. It begins with our coming to know Him, so that we may believe in, hope in, and, most importantly, come to love Him. To the extent that our love is perfected, so is our justice/righteousness.
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." John 17:3

Upvote 0