Christians owning guns specifically for self defense? (Biblical references, insight?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hmmmm...so you refuse to wear mixed fabrics, do yard work on Saturday, eat a cheese burger or lobster? All of which were offenses in the Bible. :wave:
tulc(is just wondering) :)

Do you have a yearning for some farm animal?

No need to be concerned today, if what you said were accurate understanding and truth.

Lev 18:23

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then, don't become a criminal who lives by the gun.

That is what the term meant at the time the Bible was written. Criminals lived by the sword.
Jesus was not condemning self defense. And, note. He did not tell Peter to throw away that sword. He told Peter to put it back in its holder, and stop behaving like a criminal.
It's not the owning of the Gun Im concerned with.....as I already stated that I would own one for a range... It is the getting it specifically to Protect myself from danger. The healthy have no need of a physician....the protected have no need for extra protection.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not the owning of the Gun Im concerned with.....as I already stated that I would own one for a range... It is the getting it specifically to Protect myself from danger.

We either reap what God sows. Or, what we sow. Hyper spirituality can get us in trouble. The Spirit gets us through trouble...

The healthy have no need of a physician....the protected have no need for extra protection.

Its not good to quote Scripture when you do not know what it pertains to, to try to make some point.

Hyper spirituality. What a concept. Presumption paradise.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Buzz... I think I need to apologize to you....at this point your denial of the evidence is so bad that I began to laugh at you and play with your pride rather than have empathy and compassion and that is wrong of me. So I officially apologize for playing games with you as to the point of your obvious problems with seeing how you judge others. I will go back to ignoring you since you refuse to be civil and simply pray you have eyes to see. I joined back in because it seemed like you wanted to talk about the topic at hand but apparently I was wrong to assume that from your post.
No apology necessary. You have in no way offended me.

I speak out of genuine concern for you. If you choose to see that as judging you it in no way harms me for you to see it that way. If that is what makes you comfortable then I do not begrudge you the right to feel that way. I merely do not agree that you are being reasonable nor that you are benefiting yourself by your views. That in no way affects me. I only speak with your good at heart.

I also suspect that you may have two screen names. razzelflabben and SBC

You both appear to exhibit the same psychological traits.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No apology necessary. You have in no way offended me.

I speak out of genuine concern for you. If you choose to see that as judging you it in no way harms me for you to see it that way. If that is what makes you comfortable then I do not begrudge you the right to feel that way. I merely do not agree that you are being reasonable nor that you are benefiting yourself by your views. That in no way affects me. I only speak with your good at heart.

I also suspect that you may have two screen names. razzelflabben and SBC

You both appear to exhibit the same psychological traits.
the evidence shows you wrong in both cases, your analysis and I took the time to try to show you why your posts reek of judgmentalism and you still try to blame me and encourage me to sin against God which is troubling in and of itself. But you are also wrong about me and SBC being the same person since SBC and I are talking peaceably even though we are disagreeing on some things. Too bad you don't want to be as gracious as to talk in peace and truth. I still would like to know where you disagree with me on the topic at hand but everytime I ask you you resort to false accusations, twisting what I said into something I didn't say, and/or judge what you don't know.

We are done unless or until you can be civil in your posts and cease with the false judgments. And Yes, I say this to you out of a deep and abiding Love that comes from the indwelling HS and not of myself.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BTW Buzz, someone does not have to be offended in order for there to be an offence. I was wrong to play with you like a cat plays with a mouse just because you choose to willfully blind yourself to the evidence before your eyes. Even if that did not offend you it was wrong and for that I apologize.

oh and just for the record, if you want to help, stop judging others falsely, don't encourage me to sin against the Living God, and always speak truth rather than the false statements you have been speaking. IOW's what you say is right or wrong doesn't amount to anything, God alone says what is right or wrong and His declarations are with the authority that carries the weight we should listen to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
the evidence shows you wrong in both cases, your analysis and I took the time to try to show you why your posts reek of judgmentalism and you still try to blame me and encourage me to sin against God which is troubling in and of itself. But you are also wrong about me and SBC being the same person since SBC and I are talking peaceably even though we are disagreeing on some things. Too bad you don't want to be as gracious as to talk in peace and truth. I still would like to know where you disagree with me on the topic at hand but everytime I ask you you resort to false accusations, twisting what I said into something I didn't say, and/or judge what you don't know.

We are done unless or until you can be civil in your posts and cease with the false judgments. And Yes, I say this to you out of a deep and abiding Love that comes from the indwelling HS and not of myself.
Thank you for clearing that up for me about you and SBC. I feel that I know you would not lie and tell me that if it were not true. You have convinced me that you are at the very least sincere and honest as to what you believe and perceive. We can be mistaken in some things and yet be speaking the truth as we see it.

When you say, "the topic at hand", do you mean the OP? I have moved onto other conversations and am not now sure if we had another topic under discussion. I am getting old. :)

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
BTW Buzz, someone does not have to be offended in order for there to be an offence. I was wrong to play with you like a cat plays with a mouse just because you choose to willfully blind yourself to the evidence before your eyes. Even if that did not offend you it was wrong and for that I apologize.

oh and just for the record, if you want to help, stop judging others falsely, don't encourage me to sin against the Living God, and always speak truth rather than the lies you have been speaking. IOW's what you say is right or wrong doesn't amount to anything, God alone says what is right or wrong and His declarations are with the authority that carries the weight we should listen to.
Did you in any way have to judge me to make that determination? :)

You say, "I was wrong to play with you like a cat plays with a mouse just because you choose to willfully blind yourself to the evidence before your eyes."

You said, "oh and just for the record, if you want to help, stop judging others falsely, don't encourage me to sin against the Living God, and always speak truth rather than the lies you have been speaking."

And I believe you honestly believe that to be the case for as i said in my last post, I can see that you will not deliberately lie. I know you tell the truth as it seems to be to you.

But that second quote above is really pushing the envelope. You would be far better off to avoid expressing such thoughts unless you can give unaltered quotes of me to support them. And you can't because that hateful accusation was all in your imagination.

Yet it still does not offend me. I can endure all things by virtue of Him Who imparts power to me by means of His knowledge and wisdom upon which His Spirit is strong.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for clearing that up for me about you and SBC. I feel that I know you would not lie and tell me that if it were not true. You have convinced me that you are at the very least sincere and honest as to what you believe and perceive. We can be mistaken in some things and yet be speaking the truth as we see it.

When you say, "the topic at hand", do you mean the OP? I have moved onto other conversations and am not now sure if we had another topic under discussion. I am getting old. :)
I would be thrilled for you to show me anything I said that "I got wrong"....not your perception of what I said or your reinvention of what I said, but a serious discussion in which we look at word meaning, context, history, etc. even the totality of scripture to see where you think I have gotten something wrong.

You see, I accept that I might have something wrong, I have been corrected before and it's no big deal because it was an honest mistake but when you claim I am wrong and use that to slander me but offer nothing to suggest what is wrong or where it is wrong you are the problem whether you accept you are or not.

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I would be thrilled for you to show me anything I said that "I got wrong"....not your perception of what I said or your reinvention of what I said, but a serious discussion in which we look at word meaning, context, history, etc. even the totality of scripture to see where you think I have gotten something wrong.

You see, I accept that I might have something wrong, I have been corrected before and it's no big deal because it was an honest mistake but when you claim I am wrong and use that to slander me but offer nothing to suggest what is wrong or where it is wrong you are the problem whether you accept you are or not.
Reverse and attack is an old tactic. :)

I hate to think I was wrong about you. And I choose to believe that you are just going through a bad moment.

I have a 48 year old son who is in a mental institution and has been about the last 17 or 18 years. He ruined his brain through illegal drug cocktails. The doctors said he fried the synopsis connections in his brain. Lucidity is a huge problem for him when anyone tries to relate to him. I took up the study of psychology to help me to better understand him. But it appears that he will remain little better right onto the end of his life.

This life is so very full of pain. But we can learn from it if we don't get lost in bitterness. And thank God for the life ahead where what we have learned will not be wasted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you in any way have to judge me to make that determination? :)
nope, I looked at the evidence and saw what it said. That is very different from making blind judgment calls without anything to base them on as you have repeatedly done and have been shown how you do.
You say, "I was wrong to play with you like a cat plays with a mouse just because you choose to willfully blind yourself to the evidence before your eyes."

You said, "oh and just for the record, if you want to help, stop judging others falsely, don't encourage me to sin against the Living God, and always speak truth rather than the lies you have been speaking."

And I believe you honestly believe that to be the case for as i said in my last post, I can see that you will not deliberately lie. I know you tell the truth as it seems to be to you.

But that second quote above is really pushing the envelope. You would be far better off to avoid expressing such thoughts unless you can give unaltered quotes of me to support them. And you can't because that hateful accusation was all in your imagination.
lol and yet I did and you just dismissed it in favor of more of your false accusations. See, that is the problem between you and I, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried to have effective communication and it worked for a short bit of time then came your "I studied you are wrong" without ever knowing what I was saying or suggesting and that was just the tip of the iceberg with you it went downhill from there. Now, if you don't know what I am saying or what I believe because I didn't tell you, how can you judge or measure me based on the evidence? There isn't any evidence for you to base the judgment on...that is being a judge with evil motives as you have been shown and have been quoted so that you had an opportunity to not only see the problem but a better way to communicate so that the same thing doesn't continue...you refused that council and unfortunately I keep letting you drag me back into this argument with you which is once again on me. So you see, even though you have accused me of not accepting my faults I have twice now accepted and talked openly about things that are mine to bare...interesting how that works isnt' it?
Yet it still does not offend me. I can endure all things by virtue of Him Who imparts power to me by means of His knowledge and wisdom upon which His Spirit is strong.
Like I said, offense is NOT the measure of what is right or wrong, God and His word are. One of your problems has been that you want to proclaim that whatever you say is right as if you were God Himself and that has been proven to be wrong by virtue of the false accusations you have issued, you know, your not 100% right 100% of the time. In fact, in this discussion you have missed every single accusation you issued about me....thus we know you are not speaking on behalf of God.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I hate to think I was wrong about you. And I choose to believe that you are just going through a bad moment.

I have a 48 year old son who is in a mental institution and has been about the last 17 or 18 years. He ruined his brain through illegal drug cocktails. The doctors said he fried the synopsis connections in his brain. Lucidity is a huge problem for him when anyone tries to relate to him. I took up the study of psychology to help me to better understand him. But it appears that he will remain little better right onto the end of his life.

This life is so very full of pain. But we can learn from it if we don't get lost in bitterness. And thank God for the life ahead where what we have learned will not be wasted.
I am sorry for your sons condition...not sure why you shared it but I will pray for him and your anger and bitterness of the situation.

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You two need to hug it out. ^_^
There is not much left to do but to ignore her after her last two comments.

I can do that and yet hold out hope that good will eventually win over evil. There is certainly no point in continuing to try with her if she is only going to make snide remarks.

I am some dumb, not plum dumb, :)

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is not much left to do but to ignore her after her last two comments.

I can do that and yet hold out hope that good will eventually win over evil. There is certainly no point in continuing to try with her if she is only going to make snide remarks.

I am some dumb, not plum dumb, :)
snide remarks about praying for you and your son??? Wow...just wow

Obviously you have not had your hurts healed by the Living God if you think my praying for you and your son is a snide comment. Which makes it easy to see why you keep projecting your own issues onto me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He told you an unfortunate story about the child he raised, and you pointed out that you felt he was angry and bitter about the situation and said you would pray about the anger and bitterness you saw in his comments and that you would pray for his son as well.

Now I am not one to be affected by words....but I'm not normal.....yet I can understand how a normal person could take offense to this.

If you are unable to anticipate others reactions to words or unable to empathizes maybe the icons below posts would be a better option in times like these::pray:

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Your post 692:
I am sorry for your sons condition...not sure why you shared it but I will pray for him and your anger and bitterness of the situation.

razzelflabben - post 695 said:

Obviously you have not had your hurts healed by the Living God if you think my praying for you and your son is a snide comment. Which makes it easy to see why you keep projecting your own issues onto me.

As if you do not know what you are doing.

IMHO genez was right to place you on ignore. That is what I am going to do, also.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Drug company run doctors will not look here... PQQ and Brain | Life Extension Magazine

• Informative
Reactions: Buzz_B
Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Drug company run doctors will not look here... PQQ and Brain | Life Extension Magazine
Thank you for that information. I had been noticing adds on TV pushing it as something all should take and have been meaning to look deeper into it. That may just be what he needs and I will definitely speak to his doctors about it. Though they have in recent years stopped being willing to discuss the matter so much due to some kind of law they say prohibits it. I would not know much about it except that his original doctors were willing to discuss it with me. But then they probably felt they had to as I was so alarmed by seeing his muscles twitching all over his body as a result of the drugs they were giving him that I was on the verge of suing them. And I made that plain to them. It is a very saddening situation. That is my worst enemy, the sadness can be quite overwhelming as I cannot help but feel there may have been some small things I could have done to prevent it from ever happening, like been a better husband to my children's mother. But I also know I did all I knew how to do. None of us asked to be born into this life so shaped of sin that from our youth on up even what our teachers teach us has been shaped and corrupted of sin, leaving us at a disadvantage.

We are truly prisoners to the bondage caused of sin in this life. Not me alone, but each and every one of us. Thank God that though this body of flesh of mankind undergoes that death we can with God's help be transformed for life in the spirit which will be given a new tent free of that corrupted nature.

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's okay to have guns as long as you do not put your security and safety of yourself or family in it but in God alone. Even war is ultimately not about the bullets that you shoot or the blood that you spill, but it is the stand that you make against evil that God will bless and honour. Personally, I honestly think owning a gun or not owning a gun for one reason or the other is down to the spiritual faith of a person.

Ezra on his mission to rebuild the temple could have asked for an armed escort, but knowing full well that God’s hand was upon him, he felt that a request for protection would dishonour the Lord in the eyes of the pagan king (Neh. 2:9). Fourteen years later, Nehemiah didn’t hesitate to request an armed escort from the king, and Paul was glad for the Roman soldiers who protected him during his journey from Jerusalem to Caesarea (Act 23).

Undoubtedly the Lord gave Ezra special faith for this journey because He knew that Ezra's desire was only to glorify God. Here were several thousand Jews, inexperience in travel and warfare, carrying a fortune in gold and silver, led by a scholar, not a soldier, and planning to travel through dangerous territory that was infested with brigands, and yet their leader didn't want an army to protect them! If anybody deserves the "Great Faith Award," it's Ezra!

If you choose to own a gun or not, it doesn’t really matter but remember your choices have consequences. Personally I never intend on owning a gun and I think history tells me (I could be wrong) that guns cause more harm than good. I think the more important thing is to believe and trust that our Great God is our refuge, shield and fortress and our only true shield is the shield of faith and the belt of truth and with a battle cry be ‘love.’ When we give up the illusion of safety for the promise of security, we can be assured in Christ alone that we have power that cannot be defeated

the only place you and I disagree on here is the owning of guns cause more harm than good...the stats I have seen show the opposite and since that is all we have is stats I have to side with less harm on that one.

Bravo to the rest.

"When Mr King preached to a frightened Negro crowd in a besieged Montgomery church the other day, it was no new situation for him. Only a few years ago a bomb was tossed outside his living-room and threats to his life have become as common in his mail as messages of support from individuals in all the states. After the first threats against his family, he was tempted to carry a gun and then quickly rejected the idea. "How could I have claimed to be the leader of a non-violence movement then?" he explained. For a brief time his wife took their infant daughter to live in Atlanta, Georgia, but soon returned to Montgomery. The Kings - like so many Negroes in the Deep South - have learnt to live with the threat of violence hanging over them, an uneasy condition in some ways, one is tempted to think, like that of the Jews in Nazi Germany."

Martin Luther King unmoved by death threats - from the archive, 24 May 1961

The story of Martin Luther King Jr. is another example of a heroic man of faith whose weapon alone was the utter dependence on the Word of God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.