UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Throughout the ages, Christians have repeatedly "cherry-picked" certain portions of Scripture that support their agenda, while conveniently ignoring and/or reinterpreting those passages that don't conform to their preconceived, self-serving ideas!

Christianity in the Southern states provided the theological rationale for perpetuating the institution of slavery for centuries, while several of the Founding Fathers and Confederate generals were ministers, some slaves owners, with strong religious convictions!

Up until the 1960's, interracial marriage was illegal in 19 American states, with the arguments supporting the retention of such laws being conducted with the same religious zeal and references to Scripture that are currently being used to denounce the gay community!

There has been a rapid shift away from persecuting individuals based on their sexual orientation in American society, but as gay marriage becomes widely accepted, like interracial marriage, it will eventually be replaced by another moral crusade!

None of this would be necessary if Christians were just to follow "The Greatest Commandment!"
So nothing to do with the homosexuality? It's all because we're not following the Greatest Commandment? The two greatest commandments mentioned by Jesus are originally from Deuteronomy and Leviticus.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the sense that homophobia is rooted in the same sin that is at the root of racism. Fear of and perhaps fascination with, others.
Sorry but this just doesn't add up. How is labelling someone a negative attribute because of their race the same as labelling homosexuality negatively? Being a race is fine, sin is not.

You also seem to be insinuating an insult which is hypocritical? That those who oppose the sin of homosexuality must be fascinated with it? Or racists being fearful and fascinated... What do you mean by that?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sorry but this just doesn't add up. How is labelling someone a negative attribute because of their race the same as labelling homosexuality negatively? Being a race is fine, sin is not.

Both are based on fear/fascination with different others. Racism and homophobia are both irrational emotional responses. Obviously, the kind of obsession some people have with one kind of sin, is quite different from one who recognizes that all sin is offense against God.

Looking at the amount of time Jesus spent deploring homosexuality compared to the amount of time He spent deploring holier-than-thou, that should be a clue for everyone.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both are based on fear/fascination with different others. Racism and homophobia are both irrational emotional responses. Obviously, the kind of obsession some people have with one kind of sin, is quite different from one who recognizes that all sin is offense against God.

Looking at the amount of time Jesus spent deploring homosexuality compared to the amount of time He spent deploring holier-than-thou, that should be a clue for everyone.
I'm not going to argue this out. I will say I think people's focus on it is because it's becoming more and more condoned in our society. Whereas other sins are less "controversial".

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I'm not going to argue this out. I will say I think people's focus on it is because it's becoming more and more condoned in our society. Whereas other sins are less "controversial".

I think that the recent emotional attacks on homosexuals by fringe religious groups caused most Americans to sympathize with them as a persecuted minority. As in so many other things, overplaying one's agenda, became counter-productive.

I recognize that homosexual behavior is a sin, but I will speak out against any unjust discrimination against homosexuals. That is between them and God.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think that the recent emotional attacks on homosexuals by fringe religious groups caused most Americans to sympathize with them as a persecuted minority. As in so many other things, overplaying one's agenda, became counter-productive.

I recognize that homosexual behavior is a sin, but I will speak out against any unjust discrimination against homosexuals. That is between them and God.
I don't differentiate between Jesus' Words spoken during his Earthly life and the rest of the Bible. If you want the last say that's fine but I'm not going to argue.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How should a Christian react when people try to intimidate them for their views on homosexuality? How to respond without hurting feelings but stating the truth?

Jesus answered this very question brother.

““God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:11-12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Sorry this is an edit I didn’t notice the last portion on the OP. As for how to respond without hurting feelings, I think conveying the fact that everyone including Christians are sinners and God desires that all men repent and come to Christ to be saved and that none should perish. No one is too unworthy because no one is worthy to begin with. Although we may stumble in sin from time to time we cannot willfully and continuously indulge in sin using Christ’s sacrifice as an excuse to indulge in the worldly desires of our flesh. We must have a level of devotion in our service to God. We should also remind them that Christians don’t make the rules, we just help deliver the message. If they have a problem with the rules they’ll have to take that up with God, we have no control over that department. We cannot bend God’s rules to make exceptions. And we need to realize that we’re not going to convert everyone we encounter but we can plant seeds that with the help of the Holy Spirit will hopefully grow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0