UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How should a Christian react when people try to intimidate them for their views on homosexuality? How to respond without hurting feelings but stating the truth?
It's difficult because it's a sin people condone a lot. Just state your belief and the Bible verses you feel are relevant and let the chips fall where they may. Remember God is bigger than us. It's easy to be intimidated when our eyes are off God.

Some verses I like to repeat to myself when I'm intimidated by people are:

Psalms 3:6 KJV
(6) I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.

and

Psalms 27:14 KJV
(14) Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

I love Psalm 3. Notice how David's confidence is not in himself but in God.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How should a Christian react when people try to intimidate them for their views on homosexuality? How to respond without hurting feelings but stating the truth?
There's really no way to straddle the line. I have friends and family in the LGBT community and they've made it crystal clear that you're either with them or against them. When Christians say something like "I love YOU but your lifestyle is sinful", it doesn't scan for them. They see their sexual preference as a defining element of their identity. To reverse things, it would be like someone saying the same thing to a Christian about his Christian faith. How can you say you love me if you don't accept this element of my life?

Well, the LGBT crowd see things the exact same way. If Christians don't love whichever letter the LGBT person falls into then obviously Christians don't love them as people. That's how they see it.

So on their terms, we're either (1) for them or else (2) we're against them. There isn't a third category. And most of them are doing everything they can to eliminate the second category.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sometimes the two things cannot be reconciled. The truth may hurt feelings no matter how one states it.

• Agree
Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

All you can do is respond and move on. From my experience they demand that you agree with them or start trying to run you in the ground for not bending the knee.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

1 Corinthians 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's not been my experience. I merely point out that my religious belief says that it's a sin to be a practicing homosexual, but that I'm not part of the "my sin is nicer than your sin" club, and I have my own sins. And I point out that my church condemns any unjust discrimination against them.

That seems to satisfy all but the most aggressive of LGBT people.

If so, so be it. I occasionally get condemned to hell by some Pharisee, too. Who cares?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd say, "I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with you. I understand that you don't understand."

• Winner
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I am christian and believe in the teachings of the bible. Yes the bible does teach that homosexuality is a sin ... however ... there are many sins and all of us (christians included) struggle with sin and we pray to Jesus to help us overcome them. Sometimes it's a long process.

Another teaching of the bible is Gods love ... and He loves all of us unconditionally ... He wants to help all of us to overcome sin and is very patient with us .... but we need to ask Him to help us. I ask for His help and guidance often.

We are called to treat one another kindly and to live in peace ... regardless of what sin we may or may not partake in ... and that is how I intend to proceed with my life.

One forms a personal relationship with the Lord and their struggle with sin is between the person and God ... we are not to judge ... judging is totally up to the Lord.

Each of us are responsible for our own sin.

** If they should pursue in negative conversation or snide remarks etc ... then
just stay ..... "I'm sorry you feel that way" .... and change to conversation to something up beat and positive .... 'Hey ... you want to go get some ice cream?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There's really no way to straddle the line. I have friends and family in the LGBT community and they've made it crystal clear that you're either with them or against them. When Christians say something like "I love YOU but your lifestyle is sinful", it doesn't scan for them. They see their sexual preference as a defining element of their identity. To reverse things, it would be like someone saying the same thing to a Christian about his Christian faith. How can you say you love me if you don't accept this element of my life?

Well, the LGBT crowd see things the exact same way. If Christians don't love whichever letter the LGBT person falls into then obviously Christians don't love them as people. That's how they see it.

So on their terms, we're either (1) for them or else (2) we're against them. There isn't a third category. And most of them are doing everything they can to eliminate the second category.
How do you keep those friends and family then, unless you imply that you're for their lifestyle?

As to the OP, I have not been in this situation. But the only thing that would come to my mind is "Well, you don't hate all Christians because you disagree with Christianity do you?"

• Winner
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

Mantishand

May 31, 2018
Murica
✟49,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kick the dust of your sandals and move on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It depends on the situation. I'm assuming you're describing a situation in which nobody is actually being harmed in the moment, but in which someone is confronting me about what I believe and why. If they genuinely want to know why I hold my beliefs, then I'll describe how I came to my current beliefs and how the teachings of Jesus have affected me. If they don't really want to know about my beliefs, but are just having a moment of confrontation, then I'll say something like "I don't agree with that" or "That's not how I see it" or "Have you thought about it this way ... ", and then let it go.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,490.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Love the sinner, hate the sin is always a good rule of thumb.

If you have a family member or friend who is gay, tell him/her, "I love you unconditionally, and I value our friendship/relationship. I don't agree with your relationship choices, but you are my son/daughter/niece/nephew/friend and I will always care about you."

Don't throw them out of your lives. Don't refuse to meet or socialize with their partners. Remember that in the course of a year, sex is a very small part of their relationship, timewise. They have all the other characteristics and values that you have loved in them as long as you've known them.

Are you perfect? Do you want to spend your life casting stones?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When Jesus called Zaccheus down from the tree he had climbed, He never chided him about him being a sinful tax-collector. Salvation came to Zaccheus' house, without Jesus calling him out.

Luke 19; worth reading.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Throughout the ages, Christians have repeatedly "cherry-picked" certain portions of Scripture that support their agenda, while conveniently ignoring and/or reinterpreting those passages that don't conform to their preconceived, self-serving ideas!

Christianity in the Southern states provided the theological rationale for perpetuating the institution of slavery for centuries, while several of the Founding Fathers and Confederate generals were ministers, some slaves owners, with strong religious convictions!

Up until the 1960's, interracial marriage was illegal in 19 American states, with the arguments supporting the retention of such laws being conducted with the same religious zeal and references to Scripture that are currently being used to denounce the gay community!

There has been a rapid shift away from persecuting individuals based on their sexual orientation in American society, but as gay marriage becomes widely accepted, like interracial marriage, it will eventually be replaced by another moral crusade!

None of this would be necessary if Christians were just to follow "The Greatest Commandment!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The militant homosexual movement is so bad that if a Christian organization like Family Research Council posts facts and statistics about the homosexual lifestyle, they will be defamed and put an a hate list by the radical leftist organization, the SPLC. Which did indeed happen. I'm afraid there isn't much that can be done to avoid leftist censorship and persecution of Christian morality until society returns to God.

Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When Jesus called Zaccheus down from the tree he had climbed, He never chided him about him being a sinful tax-collector. Salvation came to Zaccheus' house, without Jesus calling him out.

Luke 19; worth reading.

Also worth reading:

Leviticus 18:22: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination."

This too:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10: "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God."

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also worth reading:

Leviticus 18:22: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination."

And eating shrimp or pork or catfish is an abomination, too, according to Leviticus. I'm just pointing out that when you start deciding your sins are nicer than the sins of other people, you've moved in with the Pharisees.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The militant homosexual movement is so bad that if a Christian organization like Family Research Council posts facts and statistics about the homosexual lifestyle, they will be defamed and put an a hate list by the radical leftist organization, the SPLC. Which did indeed happen. I'm afraid there isn't much that can be done to avoid leftist censorship and persecution of Christian morality until society returns to God.

Sorry, the "Family Research Council" isn't considered to be a Christian organization by many Christians. Homosexuality is a sin, one of many that humans are prone to committing.

Some people, for their own reasons, have an exaggerated fear of that particular thing, and project that fear or fascination onto God, Who condemns all sin equally.

Upvote 0