Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I think church and state should definitely be separated.

As for Christians in politics, I wouldn't mind someone like Peter Garrett, Bessie Bardot (she grew up an AOG girl), Dave Hutchinson, or Bill Martin as PM. The only thing is the latter two are based in America so I wouldn't be able to vote for them.

Upvote 0

pastordavidd

Apr 14, 2006
✟7,747.00
Faith
Christian
I think Church members should be involved in politics and Churches should talk about politics. If Churches aren't involved in decision making for our Country and States, most morals will be out the window (even more than now). Take the Religious Vilification laws in Victoria for instance. Definately a law to protect other religions like Muslims and put in place aiming against Christian's. All Churches should be at least encouraging members to get involved and to influence decisions made by the Government.

Reactions: Naomi4Christ
Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Besse Bardot? lol yeah i used to go to Church with her, hardly a christian any more nor a worthwhile PM. funny though

She's a lot better looking than John Howard, and has more charisma and spunk than Natasha Stott-Despoja.

As for her not being a Christian anymore, I can see why seeing as she went to a church with the most repressive and oppressive principles I've ever come across (I used to be an AOG guy myself, so I know what I'm talking about).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I think Church members should be involved in politics and Churches should talk about politics. If Churches aren't involved in decision making for our Country and States, most morals will be out the window (even more than now). Take the Religious Vilification laws in Victoria for instance. Definately a law to protect other religions like Muslims and put in place aiming against Christian's. All Churches should be at least encouraging members to get involved and to influence decisions made by the Government.
Amen brother!! :)

Upvote 0

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Every politician has a belief system. Whether it's an organised religion or not, they believe something, and base their thinking upon it. So christians should be involved in politics, just like everyone else. And they should make their decisions based on that belief, and should not attract criticism for doing so. And as pastordavidd said christians should also be involved in influencing Govt decisions - everyone else is, and nobody but christians are encouraged to feel ashamed about their involvement. Some very influential groups have had huge involvement in govt decisions.

But the church should also be separate from the state - that is a completely different issue entirely.

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
If Churches aren't involved in decision making for our Country and States, most morals will be out the window (even more than now).
So you're basically calling me completely immoral since the church doesn't have any involvement in my decision making? If I became a politician would I be able to make moral decisions or not?

Upvote 0
G

googled

Wanna know what happens when you mix church and state?

Go to an islamic country, eg, Iran. The minute you say you're a Christian you'd be executed.

Politics should represent people, not organisations.

The current howard government represents PBL, Hillsong and various other organisations, at the expense of citizens that disagree with Hillsongs emerge, that hate gambling...etc

Politics needs to reflect back to the people and not the corporations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Politics should represent people, not organisations.
In theory yes. But the practicalities of representing twenty million individuals mean that their voices have to be heard at least partly through the organisations that represent them.

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
ScMay- Church shouldn't influence your desicion but God should....
I fail to see the difference in practice. Inevitably many Christians seem to see god influencing them through their church (isn't that what the church is supposed to be? A sort of conduit to better communicate with your god or something?), why else is so common that church opinion = church goers opinion. Besides you did say "if Churches aren't involved in decision making", do you now claim that only god should be involved without the church (if so how?) and that still leaves the question atheists. Can only the Christians be moral politicians because atheists aren't influenced by god/church/whatever? If that's a true reflection of your opinion then you are saying ONLY Christians should be in politics, I hope this is not the case and await your clarification.

As to the OP Christians can and should be in politics however they should not make decisions based primarily on religious beliefs. For example murder is illegal for reasons beyond 'the bible says so' however gay marriage is illegal BECAUSE 'the bible says so' and no other reason, the latter is the problem I see when church and state intertwine. Also I ask you this, which church? Also what about other religions and atheism, how would they interact with government as a democracy with an 'entwined' government? Right no it seems that Australian politics is fairly laden with Christians wanting to force those beliefs on others (decisions on abortion, stem cells, priests as counsellors, etc.). That both Howard and Rudd have been advocating 'Christian' values, the rise of family first and the attempts by Abbot to force his religious opinions as law seems to show that politics IS becoming entwined with government fairly well (at a superficial level at least, we aren't anywhere near theocracy... yet)

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Christians dont have a monopoloy on morals

Upvote 0

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
The single greatest cause of atheisim in the world today, is christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle . . .

And the second greatest cause is evolution! :sigh: So to counter this, check out www.CreationOnTheWeb.com :thumbsup:

Upvote 0