Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been reading the thread on handguns for protection, and have read similar threads in the past, and never become involved in them. This is mainly because I'm British & we live in a generally gun-free culture, and so I find it very dificult to understand the perspectives put forward in these threads.

But I do have some genuine questions which I have never seen covered by these threads, so I hope you will bear with me, and perhaps provide some answers.

Can I say right at the very start that I have absolutely no intention of offending anyone, or knocking anyone else's culture or beliefs. I really am completely genuine in asking these questions, and I do not in anyway wish to start up a debate about gun control, politics, history or any of the other topics raised in other threads.

Please understand that I am coming from a culture that is very different from the US culture regarding guns, and all I want to do is try & establish in my own mind whether there is any noticable difference between the general attitudes of Christians in contrast with the general public with regard to the gun issue. If so, why; and if not, why?

So what I want to know is:

What do you feel (in detail, please!) is the Biblical perspective on weapons/self-defense?

What do you feel would be Jesus perspective?

How do you feel the issue of loving your enemy and those who would seek to hurt you fits?

I have tried really hard to word this so it doesn't cause offense, and I hope I have not caused anyone to feel insulted. If I have, I apologise unreservedly, and ask that you would please know that that was not my intention. As a Brit, I plead total ignorance of the political & cultural issues involved, and am really only interested in the points laid out above. If that is insensitive of me, again I apologise. I really do hope that this can be an interesting discussion, and not become heated or sidetracked.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read (and consider!) the random thoughts of a foreigner!

Peace.

:pink:

TankGirl

I'm normal, it's everyone else who's stiff
Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Evangelion
My advice - duck your head now, while you have the chance.

And don't expect to see much in the way of a Biblical argument... :cool:

Thanks for your reply evangelion. I know other threads have been rather heated, but I really am not trying to cause trouble.

And I would hope I will get some good biblically based responses. Surely all areas of our lives should be under God's guidance as we seek to be conformed to the image of His Son?

Peace.

PS Rather concerned that the only "similar thread" which comes up is "Christian inappropriate content" :eek: :o :D

Upvote 0

TankGirl

Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[move]
2713gccs.jpg
[/move]

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First, I believe that self-defense, and defense of others, are worthy things.

Secondly, I believe that a generally well-armed society can make life a lot safer for people who are "easy targets" when unarmed. The U. S., for all its high crime rate, is comparatively safe if you don't get involved with a gang.

Upvote 0

Evangelion

<b><font size="2">δυνατός</b></font>
Upvote 0

aaron

Prayer Warrior
Nov 3, 2002
✟17,070.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would just like to say that I believe that we should be able to have guns. Now you asked about biblical references. I am not sure exactly where it is located. In the Bible it mentions that our body is the temple of God. So I feel that we sould protect God's temple. That only makes sense.

If you have to kill(not murder) the other person to protect yourself or others than I fell it is fully right.

Hope this helps a little. :D

Aaron:)

Upvote 0

TankGirl

Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I have only had chance to have a brief look at the link posted, but will take time to look at it further.

However, what I originally asked was:

Originally posted by TankGirl

So what I want to know is:

What do you feel (in detail, please!) is the Biblical perspective on weapons/self-defense?

What do you feel would be Jesus perspective?

How do you feel the issue of loving your enemy and those who would seek to hurt you fits?

Anyone able to address these questions?

Thank you so much.

Peace.

&nbsp;:pink:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TankGirl

Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by aaron
In the Bible it mentions that our body is the temple of God. So I feel that we sould protect God's temple. That only makes sense.

Aaron:)

This is an interesting point, Aaron. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Temple in Jerusalem ever had armed guards?

Peace

Upvote 0

aaron

Prayer Warrior
Nov 3, 2002
✟17,070.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by TankGirl
This is an interesting point, Aaron. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Temple in Jerusalem ever had armed guards?

Peace

I cannot tell you if they did or not but I am sure that even if they didn't there were enough people that would have jumped into help. [this is not fact, just my though]

Upvote 0

tamtam92

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm happy to feel safe enough not to have to carry guns. Yet I don't have the right so it's not a problem.

mmmh...

I feel frightened at the idea i could defend myself with a gun... I wouldn't dare to hurt anyone (thou shall not kill...).

Thanks Tank Girl for asking these questions, with a perfect diplomacy !!!

You know, in all my life, whatever happen, i will always feel safe because i rely on my rock Jesus Christ. Just read Psalm 91. I know my grandfather recited it during WWII, and he was happy not to have to kill anyone (even enemies, yes, during a war !!).

Have a look also at christians who are persecuted in so many countries (Saudi Arabia is the most dangerous place for christians, but also Soudan, Pakistan, among others).

I have a question to add. Do you trust more in God or in your gun (which won't protect you at all btw) ?

:)

Upvote 0

aaron

Prayer Warrior
Nov 3, 2002
✟17,070.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I trust more in God of course, but we still need to protect ourselves (God's temple). God said that we will not go through anything that WE can't get through. Of course, we can ask God for help but we still need to do what we can. In protecting ourselves the gun at times could be the best option. Also, when you have a gun for protection you have it planning not to use it. It is more to make them think twice. You would use it only if you have to.

Aaron

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TankGirl

Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by tamtam92
I feel frightened at the idea i could defend myself with a gun... I wouldn't dare to hurt anyone (thou shall not kill...).

This is something which concerns me also - the thought of taking another person's life is appalling to me...

Thanks Tank Girl for asking these questions, with a perfect diplomacy !!!

You're very welcome! And I'm glad it's been such a civilised discussion. I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone.

You know, in all my life, whatever happen, i will always feel safe because i rely on my rock Jesus Christ. Just read Psalm 91.

My favourite Psalm!! It is a huge comfort &amp; encouragement...

I would still love to hear some reponses to my original questions... ;)

And just to throw another random thought in to the mix...

something I ponder, and find quite tricky to get my head around, is the fact that we are all equally precious to God. That sounds nice and easy when you're with those you love, in a Church environment, or with those you can easily relate to. But it's a whole lot harder to reconcile when you apply it to rapists, wife beaters, career criminals, heroin dealers and even all those people we just find it impossible to get along with...

It's kind of hard to work out that God has every bit as much love for that rapist breaking into your house to attack your daughter as He does for you...

Peace.

Upvote 0
Hey Tank Girl,

I'm Australia so I should probably be disregarded but I thought i might throw in my 2 cents.

What do you feel is the Biblical Perspective on self defense/weapons?

The bible teaches peace, love to one another, and salvation through one who is almighty and powerful.
Please explain to me (those who are for guns) how carrying a weapon used to kill/hurt) another life is justifyed by the teachings of the bible.

So you say self defense.... if you are threatened that gives you the right to shoot someone??? I don't believe this is correct, what is it that makes you more important than the person threatening you. God created us equal in his sight, so why is it possible for you to take on the position of exalting yourself higher than another human being and causing them harm.

If your brother hits you, turn and give him the other cheek. RIGHT!??? By turning and hitting back are you not becoming just as bad?!

What do you feel is Jesus' Perspective is!?

The Jesus I believe and trust in is a being of peace, love and justice. One who taught to love your neighbour as yourself. One who taught not to harm others but instead show them the love of God. It doesnt matter if the other person is a murderer, a rapist, a "terrorist" (MEANING ANY NATIONALITY INCLUDING AMERICANS!!!!) Jesus teaches that we should try to help and through the love of Go save them.

By using a Gun, a weapon and relying so much on it (as shown in the many debates had on this topic) are we not shifting the focus of trust and faith in God to faith and trust in a weapon used to kill??? God will protect us! not a gun! And if our enemy chooses to kill us, then so be it... it was Gods will, and we did not fall into the same sin of hatred that they have.

As you can tell I am anti-guns, I understand the States have a HUGE love of Guns... and the "Mines bigger than Yours" moto, as we see reflected in world events.

Heres an idea... why dont we stop the killing.. no person is more important than any other person and yes that inclues those people in the middle east who the US are currently using there fantastic guns of "self defense" to kill many innocent, civillians who have been oppressed for over 12 years now, over 50% of which are children.

Laume

Upvote 0
Also.. just a quick not to aaron...

Maybe I'm wrong.... but when Jesus refers to the body as a temple, does he not mean not only us but also all members of the church making up a body.
You are arguing the distruction of the physical body. Is not the mind and the heart more important. I believe that God holds our mind and heart an soul much higher than our physical body. And by harming another human life are we not spiritually/mentally/emotionally harming ourselves.

I dont know about you, but if i knew i was respomnsible for hurting another human being i would NEVER let myself forget or live it down..

Laume

Upvote 0

aaron

Prayer Warrior
Nov 3, 2002
✟17,070.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by laumelilu
Also.. just a quick not to aaron...

Maybe I'm wrong.... but when Jesus refers to the body as a temple, does he not mean not only us but also all members of the church making up a body.
You are arguing the distruction of the physical body. Is not the mind and the heart more important. I believe that God holds our mind and heart an soul much higher than our physical body. And by harming another human life are we not spiritually/mentally/emotionally harming ourselves.

I dont know about you, but if i knew i was respomnsible for hurting another human being i would NEVER let myself forget or live it down..

Laume

If we are killed how are we supposed to spread the Word of God?

Upvote 0