• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Christians & Guns

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by TankGirl, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Apologist

Apologist 2 Tim. 2:24-26

+11
    Christian
    That's a bad argument. Jesus told Peter to put away his sword because it was Christ's hour and Peter was trying to change that.

Luke 22:35-38 says otherwise about defending ourselves:

And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?”
    So they said, “Nothing.”
    36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. 37 For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
    38 So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.”
    And He said to them, “It is enough.”

Let's also see what God says about self defense in exodus 22:2

If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

2. tamtam92

tamtam92 Veteran

+50
    Christian
    Single
    I must admit that i don't really understand why Jesus wants his disciples to take swords and then not to use it.

Nonetheless, i think that loving his ennemies doesn't match with carrying guns. How can you dare to shoot someone you're supposed to love, even if you don't kill him ?
    I'm sure that in France most people (who are not christians) would agree that this right to carry a gun is at the origin of multiple crimes. Less guns, less crimes. That's logical. If no-one owns a gun, where can the criminals steal it ?

Besides, i think a gun is far more dangerous than a sword.
    And violence generates violence, not love...
    :)

3. Texas Lynn

Texas Lynn Well-Known Member

+584
    Methodist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Gun rights advocates have a slogan about this:  'When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns'.  It has some validity.

I do not oppose roadblocks to gun ownership like the Brady Bill, or limitations on rights of certain classes of individuals to own guns (in the U.S. according to the Lautenberg Amendment, convicted domestic violence offenders are essentially barred from owning guns for life) but I do not believe outlawing guns is the answer either. 

4. Outspoken

Outspoken Standing in the Gap

+15
    Christian
    "There's no getting around the fact that guns are designed with one purpose in mind: to tear holes in living flesh."

So? Its called I like to eat deer.

5. Texas Lynn

+584
    Methodist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Mir auch!

6. Outspoken

+15
    Christian
    "Mir auch!"

And that means?

7. tamtam92

tamtam92 Veteran

+50
    Christian
    Single
    There's a difference between hunting and protecting oneself.
    Personally I don't know how is hunting (i just think they don't have enough restrictions in France :D).
    And i don't think that a gun is necessary to protect oneself. :)

8. aaron

aaron Prayer Warrior

+9
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Ok let me ask you this. Lets say man never invented the gun and do not know how to make it or we some how got rid of all knowledge of guns, would not the number of crimes with other weapons, such as the sword, go up? You should easily be able to answer that. YES

So know guns are not the problem it is mankind and sin.

9. aaron

aaron Prayer Warrior

+9
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I don't believe you have to have a permit to own a gun. You are Supposed to have it registered though. You do have to have a permit to have certain guns and to have one concieled. I am not positive about this but am pretty sure. Gunnysgt I know you would know so let me know if I am right or wrong.

10. aaron

aaron Prayer Warrior

+9
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I never did put myself above you and still do not. But however I do NOT put me below you. It sounds like you are reading what I have to say and paying no attention to it relevence. Did not God make me just as intelligent as you? So shouldn't my age make little difference about what I say. DO NOT bring my age into this. By you doing so you (in my opinion) are bringing yourself even lower.

Where did I say that I will hurt you or even kill you? You have given me know reason too and never will. The only way you would is if you were to try to harm me, family, or friends. God does not want us pushed around by others. We are to stand up to them. If we back down they will just push harder. Also, I will ask you again, If we are killed how are we to witness to them or others?

Also, you said that you would talk to the rapist. Do you really think he will listen to you. If he was going to listen to you he wouldn't be doing it. He does it because you mean nothing to him. His mind is messed up and is not going to listen to anyone.

Aaron :hug:

11. Outspoken

+15
    Christian
    "Personally I don't know how is hunting "

Well you go try bow hunting then take a gun and try that and you tell me which one you could survive on..lol ;)

12. repentandbelieve

repentandbelieve Senior Veteran

+77
    Christian
     Dear Tank Girl.

I can tell from your post that you are a very sweet and sensitive person.   

The 22nd chapter of Luke (where Jesus is arrested) gives enough light to provide an answer to the question, should Christians possess weapons for self defense?.

Verse 49 reads:

When Jesus' followers saw what was going to happen, they said "Lord, should we strike with our swords" and one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.

What this tells us is that Jesus' followers were armed with weapons for self defense. Not only were they "packing heat" but they were fully capable of using it if need be.

These followers of Jesus had traveled with Him for quite a period of time. Doesn't it stand to reason that if Jesus was opposed to them carrying swords He would have told them so and they would not have been armed?

The follower of Jesus who used the sword to defend his lord is identified as Peter in the book of John 18:10.

In John 18:11 Jesus commanded Peter to put the sword away so that the Fathers will would come to pass.

May God Bless you Tank Girl.

13. Texas Lynn

+584
    Methodist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Es ist deutsch=it is German.  Mir auch=muself also.  In French it's "moi aussi".  It is an expression of agreement.

14. laumelilu

laumelilu Member

+0
    My advice...

Go see Bowling for Columbine (Micheal Moore Film).....

Laume