• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Christians and The sabbath

Discussion in 'Congregation-specific Ethics' started by Michael Vichiola, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Michael Vichiola

Michael Vichiola New Member

+21
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    Why dont Christians have to obey the sabbath laws?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,549
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Because the sabbath law was made redundant in the New Covenant. Believers can choose to observe the Sabbath by personal choice, but they will not be justified before God for doing it, because by the Law no person is justified.

3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+2,458
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Receiving Salvation satisfies the Sabbath requirement...! :bow:

"There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their* example of disobedience." Hebrews 4:9-11 NIV

*"...those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience,..." Hebrews 4:6 NIV

4. Norbert L

Norbert L Well-Known Member Supporter

+521
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Think about Naaman. There's a guy who had to go back to his country and wind up in a place of worship that would require him for all intents and purposes to look like he's going to pray to another god. 2 Kings 5:18-19

5. GraceBro

GraceBro Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.

+226
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Because we are not under the Mosaic Law, for one. Two, if we are under one law, we are subject to all of them. Three, those under the law are under a curse. Fourth, the law increases sin in our lives. Finally, the sabbath is our resting from our works of trying to obtain or maintain blessings of the flesh from our perceived obedience. In fact, to try and obey the sabbath is an act of disobedience under the New Covenant.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  6. Justified Sinner

Justified Sinner New Member

+63
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    It seems we do keep the sabbath in Christ. We've entered our rest in Him who kept the whole law perfectly.

7. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,650
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    Gal. 2:19
    For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

8. Greengardener

Greengardener for love is of God Supporter

+262
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    My answer is a little longer. In all honestly, I'd have to say that Christians are no longer obligated to observe the Sabbath for the same reasons we no longer are obligated to love and honor God above all else, honor our parents, and avoid murdering, adultery, stealing, and coveting, which is because we are no longer "under" a law that could never make us perfect. However, the problem wasn't the law. The problem was with us.

I frankly would have a hard time with any Christian who said it was OK to commit theft, adultery or murder now because we are not under the law. Unfortunately we are seeing a good many Christians involved in appropriating what is not theirs; in hating (which is the precursor for murder) and even in agreeing with prenatal people murder; and in adulterous relationships these days; but we are for the most part, with misguided ignorance, sweeping those concerns under the rug.

But the Ten Commandments were given by God and so is the Holy Spirit. I'd have a hard time thinking we humans could justify a disagreement between the Commandments given by God and the leading of the Holy Spirit if indeed the Holy Spirit is going to teach us everything as Jesus did - and Jesus and His Father are one.

Historically, the Sabbath was kept on the original 6th day by everyone in the New Testament times. Depending on the source, the day of observance was changed (and I suspect this was outside of JWHW's approval) roughly around 100-300 AD. The Church kept that Sunday Sabbath until my lifetime at least in the American south, as the Sunday blue laws were only a few decades ago repealed. So if you asked your devout great grandparent this question, they'd have raised an eyebrow at your suggestion that the Sabbath didn't need to be observed. But in all honestly, even from my childhood people were declining in observance, so the stage was set for the current situation.

What God works in our life through His Holy Spirit from the heart is in actuality just what He told His people to do in from the beginning. He told us this because He doesn't change and because He knows it works for our lives. You can read it for yourself because it's there if you look for it. What the others have said about Jesus being our rest is accurate - no argument here.

I have no dog in the ongoing fight you'll find in many threads, so let me conclude here with this: What matters is a solid faith in Jesus and the only way to the living JWHW (no man comes to the Father but by Me), such faith coming out of a pure heart (how does a young man cleanse His way? by taking heed to Your words), evidenced by our behaviors (faith without works is dead being alone) and in all things that we are walking in Love in the same way that God walks because God is Love.