Christians and intoxicating substances and what the Bible says about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duolos

ὁ δοῦλος
Apr 7, 2015
✟15,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That logic is simple: If you play with fire all the time, chances are you or someone around you will get burned.
Because me having a glass of wine with dinner, or properly taking part in the Table is totally comparable to binge drinking...

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Because me having a glass of wine with dinner, or properly taking part in the Table is totally comparable to binge drinking...

Never know. The bottle may accidentally fall up-ended in your hand above your open mouth whilst your arm muscles seize and you're powerless to fight it.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
That's a horrible example. Drinking is not a sin. Adultery is a sin. Scripture is clear.

Galatians: 5. 19. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21. Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Proverbs: 23. 20. Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:

I have to disagree on the horrible example , yes the Word is clear.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
No it is not,and as I posted before I do not condemn you for drinking wine.

Upvote 0

duolos

ὁ δοῦλος
Apr 7, 2015
✟15,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
drunkenness

Continuing with your preacher's likening kissing your wife with adultery, we're actually allowed to kiss each other's spouses, "Greet one another with a holy kiss." (Rom 16:16, 2 Cor 13:12) So clearly just as there is differentiation between drinking and drunkenness, there is differentiation between kissing and adultery.

Upvote 0

duolos

ὁ δοῦλος
Apr 7, 2015
✟15,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No it is not,and as I posted before I do not condemn you for drinking wine.
Then stop equating drinking with drunkenness. In your first post in this thread you talk about people who do make the differentiation to be "sugar coating" their hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Never know. The bottle may accidentally fall up-ended in your hand above your open mouth whilst your arm muscles seize and you're powerless to fight it.

Or you could get trashed and regret it.

I don't want to banter.
Some can drink a glass and others want a keg, it's a personal choice.

Upvote 0

duolos

ὁ δοῦλος
Apr 7, 2015
✟15,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I don't want to banter.
Did they cover how alcohol affects the body in your biology/health classes or something for you to really not understand that it is near impossible to be drunk off a single standard drink?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

I don't want to banter.

Ultimately it comes down to self-control as does anything in life.

It's a little extreme to jump from having a drink or two to suddenly being drunk though.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Then stop equating drinking with drunkenness. In your first post in this thread you talk about people who do make the differentiation to be "sugar coating" their hypocrisy.

This is true they drink like fish because it's wine.

When 2 people have multiple empty bottles from the night before it is hypocritical To say they have a glass at dinner.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Did they cover how alcohol affects the body in your biology/health classes or something for you to really not understand that it is near impossible to be drunk off a single standard drink?

You ad hominem comments are unnecessary.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians: 5. 17. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. 18. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 19. Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20. Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Tough crowd good night God Bless

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
A Preacher answered the question this way:

So you drink but don't get drunk?

Ok then let me take your wife and hug and kiss a bit but not go all the way.

After all its just fun not adultery right?

As long as we don't go all the way?

You don't know when you get drunk ,your brain thinks sober but your mouth is speaking krunk
On what planet do you think hugging and kissing my wife is acceptable?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians: 5. 17. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. 18. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 19. Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20. Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Tough crowd good night God Bless
And so far, everyone agrees that being drunk is a sin. What isn't a sin is having a drink or two or three. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Standing by the clear Biblical teaching for Christians to be sober as spelled out simply in 1 Pet 1:13-17 and elaborated on in the Op, Not intending to "flame or goad" those who say it's ok to drink in moderation, but in honesty I must disagree and in concern for the many lives that will be destroyed in the future when moderation blossoms into drunkenness in you or in the lives of people who follow your example to permit intoxication to enter their bodies, and all the damages that follow in many lives who find themselves unable to moderate their consumption of alcohol........I have to say it is wrong to indulge in one iota of intoxicating substance, always has been, and always will be. It will never be allowed in my house and I will never condone it in any way at any time for any purpose.

I know a lot of people on this site indulge in moderation. I don't want to fight with you about this issue and I do not want to address you personally in a way which I could be accused of breaking forum rules.
I have addressed some directly on this issue, and to those people I want to say God loves you and so do I and I mean no offense and I do not want to fight with you. I simply cannot condone even the most miniscule indulgence of intoxicating substances in any way, if they be liquid drugs like alcohol, smokes or vaporized drugs like weed, ingested drugs like hash brownies and shrooms, injecte drugs like heroin, or swalled drugs like pills. They are all wrong all of the time, it is never right or ok to accept intoxication in your body. The Bible plainly states "be sober". That means be sober. Period.

Without referring to the many other Bible passages which support pure sobriety and rebuke "moderation" when it comes to intoxicating substances.....such as when Paul, speaking of his liberty said that if the thing he felt free to do caused his brother to offend, he would never do it. If you think you can let the world see you sip a beer and nobody takes it as a bad example and has a sip like you, and then another sip because it makes them feel funny and good, and then another, and then the idiot pulls out in front of a motorcycle when he was supposed to stop and kills somebody's brother and the surviving brother is offended.....I'll support the OP and recommend the excellent 8-10 minute preaching videos following the OP.

Please spare me your excuses for drinking alcohol one sip, one beer, or one bottle, or one bar, or one six pack, or whatever it is wrong. You have the freedom to drink, and you have the freedom to say it's ok, but I will never say it's ok and I will always say it is wrong because it is wrong.

You fear God in the matter or you do not. One guy who made his living off of people who sipped or slopped it down, didn't care. It was not his fault if they could not control their drinking, he only sold it to them and they have to answer for their own behavior. One day a man lost control of his vehicle, crossed the median on the road, went air born and landed in that booze dearler's son's windshield, killed the booze dealer's son. You can guess where this true story is going.......it was proven that the killer was drinking, and the booze seller vowed to take revenge....until it was proven that the killer had purchase the bottle of booze he drank before killing the booze dealer's son from that very booze dealer. That booze dealer had been told God loves him and wants him to believe on the resurrection of Jesus Christ and be born again to walk in newness of life and serve God and stop selling liquor. That booze dealer said he was good, good person, good man, had to make a living, working hard, didn't want to serve God. That booze dealer had been warned of the danger of pushing God to punish him for his carelessness. God changed that booze dealer's life, and though it was exactly what that booze dealer needed, it was not the way God wanted it but it was the only way that proud "good" man would listen. What will God have to do to make us fear Him? None of us are so good that we have the right to be spared from whatever punishment God sees fit to put on us at any moment in time. Not me, not you, not my mother and not my brother or wife or children, none of us. The word of God is the same for all of us and He wants us to be SOBER because HE IS SOBER!!!!!

The Bible says "be sober". You can't be sober if you sip intoxication into your body. The one sin violates sobriety. You fear God in the matter or you do not, but to say the word of God is not clear on the issue, you have to ignore the Bible by picking and choosing what you like and do not like, and then it's no longer the Bible but it becomes your own personal guidebook contrary to the Bible.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Good for you, if that's what your conscience dictates. Howevver, I don't have that issue. And I used to be a drunk. Now I have an occasional drink because I enjoy a beer every now and then. And also a nice glass of wine. I haven't been drunk in 20 years and haven't even been close.

And if it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm. I guess Jesus was just having a bad day and forgot all this when He created wine from water, eh?
Read that story in the Bible and you will see the water was in purified vessels, no leavening. Leavening makes alcohol. That wine was grape juice, pure. The accusations of Jesus being a drinker were lies then, and they are lies now. Jesus never received anything with sin in it, not even the vinegar they offered Him to ease His suffering on the cross.

When people try to say "I drink like Jesus", they are making Him a liar because His word says be sober. Jesus was not a hypocrite, he did not do one thing and say something different. The accused him of being a winebibber. It was a false allegation then and it is a common false allegation today.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.