Christians and alcohol; hurting the spread of the gospel...

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Why are you so quick to label them "drunks"?

If she can't tolerate drunks, ie, people who have drank to the point of intoxication, then she is safer to only date non-drinkers. What is difficult about this sentence? Non-drinkers will never be drunk...those who do drink have a potential to end up drunk.

If she is afraid of drunks, she will make life miserable either for herself or her partner every time they do pick up an alcoholic beverage with her fear, rational or otherwise.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If she can't tolerate drunks, ie, people who have drank to the point of intoxication

I don't think the term "drunks" is widely accepted in the context in which you are using it.

"Drunks" are alcoholics or people who routinely abuse alcohol. Someone who has drank to the point of intoxication at some past point in their life is not a "drunk". Nor is someone who has a couple too many once or twice a year, or decade.

Using your verbiage, my ex father-in-law, who is now a very devout Christian and doesn't touch alcohol, but used to be a musician and admittedly got drunk a few times decades ago, would be a drunk.

Not trying to be nitpicky, but your description wasn't sitting right with me. No offense meant.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I don't think the term "drunks" is widely accepted in the context in which you are using it.

"Drunks" are alcoholics or people who routinely abuse alcohol. Someone who has drank to the point of intoxication at some past point in their life is not a "drunk". Nor is someone who has a couple too many once or twice a year, or decade.

Using your verbiage, my ex father-in-law, who is now a very devout Christian and doesn't touch alcohol, but used to be a musician and admittedly got drunk a few times decades ago, would be a drunk.

Not trying to be nitpicky, but your description wasn't sitting right with me. No offense meant.

I guess I should have worded it...If a woman doesn't like to be around people who have drunk to the point of being drunk, then she shouldn't date men who drink.... ???

Semantics...that is all the difference is... I still think that a person who is drunk, is a drunk. I see it as a current status, not a habit or on-going condition. If I meant an alcoholic, I would have said an alcoholic. I see "a drunk" and "intoxicated person" to be synonyms...not "a drunk" and "a alcoholic". And I am sorry if that rubs some people the wrong way. Would you call a former alcoholic a "sober drunk", then? That is an oxymoron.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Would you call a former alcoholic a "sober drunk", then? That is an oxymoron.

Uh, that's commonly referred to as a recovering alcoholic... Are you sure you're from America? :p

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I can drink one or two and stop and not pick up another drink for an extremely long time. In fact the last time I had any alcohol was New Years Eve two years ago. I had one beer and one margarita over the course of several hours. I didn't get drunk off that, and didn't want to. I haven't been desperate to have any since, but I wouldn't feel guilty if I did unless it caused a problem for some one else.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0