• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Christianity & Evolution Are Compatible...A Reflection

Discussion in 'Creation/Evolution Formal Debates' started by Amoeba, Jul 18, 2009.

1. CoderHead

CoderHead Knee Dragger

+19
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Exactly. Joseph, aside from being Mary's husband, had absolutely no part in Jesus' conception whatsoever. He wasn't Jesus' father. So how is Jesus a descendant of David?

2. CoderHead

CoderHead Knee Dragger

+19
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Jesus wasn't stoned.

3. TerranceL

TerranceL Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?

+4,550
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Because your creation myths are as silly as all the other creation myths. And have zero credibility.

4. salida

salida Veteran

+241
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I will name a couple mathematicians as there are more. Yes, mathematicians can be wrong-there is always a possibility. Again, pink and green elephants flying around in a room is possible but not probable.This is why I use statistics because nothing can be proved with 100% accuracy. We arn't sure the sun will come up tomorrow 100%.
    Henry M. Morris, PhD is Engineering and Math wrote an article on The Bible and Modern Science.

In this article is a mathematican named Peter Stoner, a PhD in CA. Each class member was assigned a particular Messianic prophecy for study with the purpose of determining the statistical chance that a particular event could have been predicted without supernatural inspiration. For example, the prophecy in Micah 5:2 says that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. Thus, the probability of chance fulfillment would be one divided by the number of towns in Israel at the time. The probabilities of fulfillment were determined for each of 48 Messianic prophecies-as each student was assigned a prophecy.

The probability of several chance occurrences independent of each other - is like playing power ball but even more remote because power ball doesn't have 48 numbers in it. This conclusion with the professor of all 48 possibilities occurring at the same time was one in with one with 181 zeros.

5. salida

salida Veteran

+241
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Terr-

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it. Your free will- will override any evidence that people give you. I was debating Amoeba the person who started this thread- they haven't even showed up. This all seems futile to me because they haven't showed up yet, but I'm always glad to present the evidence and facts no matter what. I don't discuss these things normally with those who have already made up their mind -its a waste of my time and theirs.

Other than Amoeba who started this thread and others who haven't made up their mind already-I'm not interested in discussing this subject anymore as you get myths mixed up with fact and think fables are fact.

Oh, that Joseph -trying to be clever CoderHead. So, because Jesus wasn't conceived by Joseph and Mary in the physical sense so he doesn't have a lineage? God doesn't bow to natural laws but you can't say his lineage doesn't exist because he was conceived by virgin birth. Good try.

I'm done responding here to everyone but Amoeba. He hasn't showed up-he is the one I'm suppose to debate and so hasn't even back up what he has said. I think I'm surrounded by politicians.

***Responses such as myths blah blah + no resources + noise + Jesus wasn't this or that=Zero

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  6. CoderHead

CoderHead Knee Dragger

+19
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    So if you had a step-father, would you trace your lineage through him? No! You'd trace it through your biological father and/or your mother. In the case you didn't know who your father was (or that your father doesn't have a lineage because he's God), you'd use your mother's ancestors only - not your step-parent.

Come on, seriously. This is obviously a case of creative interpretation in order to check off another prophecy. So, back to you - good try.

7. loveiseverywhere

loveiseverywhere Theistic Evolutionist / Ex-Atheist

+82
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was simply AWESOME!!!!!

8. loveiseverywhere

+82
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    The OP didn't deny the validy of Christ. It denied Creationism as God's method of creating the world.

It's called Theistic Evolution.

Ken Miller wrote Finding Darwin's God and he's Catholic and teaches biology at Brown.

Francis Collins, leader of the Human Genome Project, was led to Christ by studying DNA. Read his book, "The Language of God."

9. loveiseverywhere

+82
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    Biologically he didn't have lineage from Mary either. He's God, remember?

10. CoderHead

CoderHead Knee Dragger

+19
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Thereby proving my point even more.

11. salida

salida Veteran

+241
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    CoderHead-

In Matthew it mentions Jesus lineage under legal terms through King David to Joseph; This is on the male side and the male gets the inheritance; this is how the culture was back then.

In Luke it mentions Jesus lineage through Mary's -where Jesus descended naturally through Nathan.

So, dismissing Jesus lineage because it wasn't natural on both sides is in great error.

I would visit christian research institute if you are sincere about understanding the Bible. You can google it. Its very informative. Its not the only source but its one of the most comprehensive ones on the internet.

12. TerranceL

TerranceL Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?

+4,550
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    According to the story Joseph wasn't his father so there is zero reason to use that lineage.

You might as well use king herods while your at it.

13. KhaosTheory

KhaosTheory Active Member

+14
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Thank you for this thread. I joined these forums today because I was having difficulty reconciling science with my faith.

The only thing that still bothers me is that I've been taught to accept the Bible literally as a perfect, complete work.

However, I'm having trouble understanding how Genesis, i.e. creation and the flood, coincides with science.

I'm still praying for understanding and searching for theories to hopefully make these Biblical accounts work with science.

But maybe I've been taught to interpret the Bible the wrong way my whole life.

See my dilemma?

14. Zaius137

Zaius137 Real science and faith are compatible.

+7
    Non-Denom
    Married
    These days science is very friendly to the Christian. How can I say that you ask? First of all the Bible is not a science book but it is the foundation for a sound scientific viewpoint. If you look closely at the creation stories in secular science (Cosmology and Evolution) you find they hold no more water than cleverly designed fables.

About the age of the universe and the earth the bible is not clear. For myself I tend to be a young earth young universe advocate. But I must say that is my preference from the evidence in science and not a dogmatic statement in the bible (I refer to the gap in Genesis ch. 1 vs 1 and 2).

The Bible has always proved itself in archeology and creation constructs. The earth described as a globe in Isaiah, God starching out the heavens, each creature is after its own kind and so fourth.

It is a real problem for me as a Christian to see a fellow Christian hanging on the lies of evolution and a Big Bang. We as Christians don’t need a contrived story that does not hold the power of explanation or creation. Evolution gave up the idea of life from natural chemistry with the New Evolution synthesis and has been slipping ever since. The Big Bang is patchwork science and has failed the empirical evidence.

God is in the details and in his Word.

15. Zaius137

Zaius137 Real science and faith are compatible.

+7
    Non-Denom
    Married
    A forgone conclusion…

"The science to which I pinned my faith is bankrupt. Its counsels, which should have established the millennium, led, instead, directly to the suicide of Europe. I believed them once. In their name I helped to destroy the faith of millions of worshippers in the temples of a thousand creeds. And now they look at me and witness the great tragedy of an atheist who has lost his faith." (George Bernard Shaw, Too Good to Be True)

How long will you let others think for you?

16. twob4me

twob4me Shark bait hoo ha ha Supporter

+27,464
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread is closed for staff review.

~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

17. LovebirdsFlying

LovebirdsFlying My husband drew this cartoon of me. Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,124
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    [​IMG]
    MOD HAT ON

This thread has undergone a cleanup. If you find that a post of yours has been removed, then it was for one of the following reasons:

1. It was ad hominem or flaming. Flaming is against the rules everywhere in CF, and whether the OP intended it or not, this thread is in Creation/Evolution Formal Debates, where ad hominem posts are against the Formal Debating rules posted here.

2. It was off topic to the subject of whether or not Christianity and evolution are compatible.

3. It quoted or answered a post that had to be deleted for one of the other two reasons.

This thread is now re-opened. Please resume the discussion, keeping to the rules. Thank you.

MOD HAT OFF

18. Calum Atherton

Calum Atherton Newbie

+0
    Protestant
    Single
    one geneology leads to Joseph, one leads to Mary. Incidentally, both are descendants of David, meaning Jesus was definitely a descendant of David.