Christianity and Capital Punishment

Is capital punishment compatible with Christianity?

• Yes

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christianity says we shouldn't be killing innocent people. Moses' Law says that there must be two or three eye witnesses to the crime and that the witnesses cannot be family members or others that would be biased.
It's just safer not to kill anyone but keep them safely under lock and key. There have been too many mistakes made already.

Jesus Christ says that we are to administer justice not injustice because were afraid to.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I asked my dad who he was talking about, and he didn't want me to know, he'd say, "Bill Spivvens."

So like most of the so called we are killing innocent people it's just urban legend.

Upvote 0

narrowgateevangelist

Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2018
San Francisco
✟55,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
If you wrongfully put someone to death who did not deserve the death penalty, should you be put to death?

Yes, when a person advocates murder, in a group of twelve. Solipsistcly because of capricious prejudice. Capricious prejudice should have a terrestrial reckoning.

Trial by jury, historically has been observably effective. Marxists hate trial by jury. A traffic citation for 500$ doesn't warrant a jury. A government marriage/divorce proceeding doesn't warrant a trial by jury.

Marxists observably in the Americas, Asia, and Europe userp judicial authority. Hold esoteric trials then judgments. Send the most heavily armed men to execute the judgments. Then the NYT, WSJ, people's communist daily. Describe the heroism of SWAT, NKVD, KGB operatives in the execution of mother/fatherland pillage. For the direct benefit of the 1%, and their 10℅ enforcers.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please tell me how it is safer when a murderer get life, and then goes and kills other inmates who are not murderers, or escapes and goes on a killing spree. That happened in the Dallas Metroplex years ago 5 people who were convicted of murder escaped and people lost their life because of it. Oh but we don't care innocent people do we, we only care about the guilty because it makes us feel better because were so civilized.

Please tell how it make our society safer?
When I said safer I meant that mistakes have been made and innocent people killed so it is safer for the innocent if we just don't kill anyone.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
So like most of the so called we are killing innocent people it's just urban legend.
We all know innocent people get executed. I don't memorize their names.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
By now it should be well-known that Pope Francis has revised the Catholic Catechism to say that capital punishment is inadmissible. What do you think about the relationship between Christianity and capital punishment? I want to hear from all Christians, and I also want to give Catholics a place to argue. The topic is two-fold: capital punishment in general, and also specifically within the Catholic Church.

Some relevant links:

The Bible teaches that in cases of murder it is necessary to carry out capital punishment in order to establish the dignity of the image of God. Since the Bible teaches this, Christianity is certainly compatible with capital punishment.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible teaches that in cases of murder it is necessary to carry out capital punishment in order to establish the dignity of the image of God. Since the Bible teaches this, Christianity is certainly compatible with capital punishment.
Really, then why did God save King David?

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We all know innocent people get executed. I don't memorize their names.

I'm sorry but I have not heard of one in my life time, I have heard people say someone was innocent without any proof of the fact ( most of the time it is family or a Politician )

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually the Pope didn't change anything. The Catechism formerly stated that capital punishment could not be administered "unless failure to do so would greatly endanger the life of another person". In the years since that statement was published, not a single case in the entire world has met that criterion. So the Pope simply removed a meaningless and unnecessary phrase, which didn't change the actual facts in any way. "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is still the commandment, and the right to kill in order to save your own life is still upheld.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I said safer I meant that mistakes have been made and innocent people killed so it is safer for the innocent if we just don't kill anyone.

And yet it is not safer for most of the innocent people, except for say one in 10 billion or a century or 1/2 century.

• Agree
Reactions: A71
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
"Thou Shalt Not Kill" is still the commandment, and the right to kill in order to save your own life is still upheld.

You're interpreting that commandment to mean that capital punishment is murder. Have you actually read the Law of Moses? There are over 40 times in the Law of Moses where the death penalty was commanded. So, obviously since God doesn't contradict Himself, your interpretation is wrong.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By now it should be well-known that Pope Francis has revised the Catholic Catechism to say that capital punishment is inadmissible. What do you think about the relationship between Christianity and capital punishment? I want to hear from all Christians, and I also want to give Catholics a place to argue. The topic is two-fold: capital punishment in general, and also specifically within the Catholic Church.

Some relevant links:

I voted yes. Capital punishment has a place and it should be used more.

Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well let's talk about death row then. Many of them are beyond recovery. They did it, it's done, stop appealing, pray to Jesus and die already.

Sorry for my insensitivity but how much does it strain the taxpayers to house them and why are we being saddled for it?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christianity says we shouldn't be killing innocent people. Moses' Law says that there must be two or three eye witnesses to the crime and that the witnesses cannot be family members or others that would be biased.
It's just safer not to kill anyone but keep them safely under lock and key. There have been too many mistakes made already.

In other words, if we're going to apply the Mosaic Law, then apply the Mosaic Law fully and completely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Usually nobody bothers continuing the investigation after the execution.

We do have more cases of persons on death row who have been exonerated after determining that they were innocent or their prosecutions were fraudulent. It was such a bad situation in Illinois that the then-governor suspended executions indefinitely.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you carry out the prosecution exactly as the Bible lays out--with at least two eye witnesses of the crime--maybe so.

Upvote 0

Cement

Mar 24, 2018
Austin
✟55,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Bible states an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. You get the equal punishment to what you have done. However it also states a greater law, forgive and be forgiven. I however am against capital punishment not because its not what the criminals deserve but because about 4.1% of the time the person turns out to be innocent which roughly translates to 1 in 25 people.

https://www.newsweek.com/one-25-executed-us-innocent-study-claims-248889
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/28/death-penalty-study-4-percent-defendants-innocent

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're interpreting that commandment to mean that capital punishment is murder. Have you actually read the Law of Moses? There are over 40 times in the Law of Moses where the death penalty was commanded. So, obviously since God doesn't contradict Himself, your interpretation is wrong.

If the trial does not meet Mosaic Law standards, then it is murder.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Some relevant links:

Just as an aside, I find the struggles on finding a humane method of capital punishment to be ludicrous. It is very very simple to simply place the condemned in an airtight chamber and remove the regular air, replacing it with any benign gas without oxygen. The condemned simply go to sleep and never wake up.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0