Watching for His return
Mar 4, 2012
Thailand
✟8,001.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit.”Ephesians 5:18

“Being not drunk with wine, wherein is excess” speaks of a substituting alcohol for the filling
of the Holy Spirit.
It is the spirit that the World shares at many a party, gathering
sporting or social event. Alcohol and its use, depiction and glamorization is one of the defining characteristics of the world.

It is a currency to pay social debts so even if you don’t purchase it yourself there always seems to be plenty of it around. It is part of the fabric of society and is shared in homes, restaurants and college campuses around the world. You may find its use on some level difficult to avoid because of some of the friends you have chosen.

1Co 10:23 All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life].

While alcohols use may be permissible, I don’t believe that it is expedient.

1Co 10:24 Let no one then seek his own good and advantage and profit, but [rather] each one of the other [let him seek the welfare of his neighbor].

So many times in life you have a choice to make, which spirit will I serve to the people I meet?
Which spirit will I share with my friends and others that the Lord places in my life and my circles?

Will the spirit of our fellowship be the Holy Spirit or another spirit?

15. Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16. For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world. 17. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. (1John 2 15-17)

The counterfeit to the Holy Spirit that the world has to offer is Alcohol.
This substitute spirit has been used by the enemy of our souls to wreck countless lives and families.

[FONT=&quot]“…but be filled with the Spirit; speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord” (Ephesians 5:18-19). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A quote from blong4133 that struck me;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I will never drink in front of my children”[/FONT] (POST #25 this thread)

[FONT=&quot]Don’t know anything about your Kids but my kid…sees all…hears all…..knows all…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] can find anything in the house…especially those two beers that[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]you said your Friend left in the fridge to repay your cooking burgers…..([/FONT]post#12)
[FONT=&quot]You know the older kids get the more careful you will have to be…..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Its not if but when Kids will become aware of any level of alcohol[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]use. Kids talk…..one day they will say I saw your Dad drinking a beer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]with my Dad and I snuck a couple for us. Don’t you want to try one…..
cause your Dad thinks its ok….And it will be recorded on that day in the
permanent record of their heart.
You are truly free to do anything but
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I pray that you will choose to deny yourself[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You are trying to pull the oldest trick in the book that people use to disregard something in the epistles. For instance, when people want to disregard something in Hebrews they will say that Paul was only speaking to the jews. That it is all some socio-political context and not the actual truth we should live by. Yet that isn't going to work here because it is very clear that who Paul is speaking to is Christians:

Romans is all about food - Kosher food for the Jews and food offered to idols for the Gentiles.

Rom 14:13-22
Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. NIV

Paul was not speaking about food in general - we all need to eat. It was food associated with past, deeply held religious beliefs that was the issue. We know from a similar passage in 1 Cor food offered to idols was a concern and Paul gives similar advice. The mixing of cultures in the new community gave rise to a host of issues that needed addressing.

Paul taught that neither group should insist on their position being followed by everyone esle. Both were to coexist in love. One party was not 'right' and the other 'wrong'.

Rom 14:1-3
Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. NIV

Strong and weak generally refer to social class in the NT. This was the common usage at that time for those terms.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is the worst advice you could *ever* give someone. Literally, the worst.

Especially a Christian. You honestly should be ashamed of yourself.

"Yeah bro, it's ok, just smoke a little crack, you won't get addicted." LOL?
Crack Cocaine is perfectly fine since there is no alcohol at all in it. :doh:

Upvote 0

child0fg0d88

His wants are above my own
Jan 1, 2012
✟15,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus' first miracle wouldn't be creating something that we shouldn't use ever...

Like anything we use, don't do too much or overindulge in it.

1. ChrisHolland- You used crack cocaine as an example. You make a good point, but we need to remember that it is illegal to use substances such as that, and God has told us that he gave man that power.
Romans 13:1 "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God."

Upvote 0
P

peggy sue

May seem like a stupid question, but I'm just curious how some of you view drinking beer and being a Christian.

I'm 24 year old, and occasionally I enjoy have a beer or two. I don't let it get out of hand, but if my friends and I go out, I will usually have one or two. And sometimes I have one before bed to unwind if I'm gonig through a stressful time (although that is very very rare, but I had a couple last night because I'm going through a lot of stress at the moment with school and exams and whatnot).

My dad is a devout member and preacher in the Church of Christ. And the Church of Christ is a very, very traditional church. No instruments in the church, no smoking, drinking or anything like that. I now go to a non-denominational church because I have a hard time leaving church feeling scared (like I did when I went to the church of christ...a lot of lessons about "if you do this, you're going to hell" type stuff...not saying it's like that everywhere, but my Dad gives those types of sermons) but I opted to go to a non-denominational church where I walk out feeling inspired, uplifted and just feel great in general.

I view myself as a good Christian, but I still, to this day, have not gotten a real answer whether Beer is a bad thing or not. I've always assumed that it's OK if I have one or two here and there.

So what do you all think?

i would imagine the bible to be a better guide than the church of Christ, i understand making rules to live by, but if they're not backed by scripture then you are well on your way down a path of legalism. google all the verses in the bible in reference to wine, its unbiblical to say it wasn't alcoholic, there is nothing wrong with drinking a few beers with friends, i'm sure Jesus would have done the same thing. although if its a problem for a brother in Christ then don't do it in front of the weaker brother if it offends him

Upvote 0

thispoorman

Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with thy God
Feb 13, 2012
North Carolina
✟13,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute! It's a sin to drink alcohol? In public? A Christian drinking sets a bad example? Matt. 10:24 - "A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a slave above the master". And Matt. 11:19 - "the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners'". Granted, the Pharisees were indulging themselves in a little snarky exaggeration; however, it seems apparent that Jesus, who frequently went to dinner parties and receptions, at least thoroughly and publicly enjoyed himself with the food and beverage that was served, and didn't seem to care what self-righteous religionists thought about it. I, for one, don't really want to get into seeing how holier-than-Jesus I can be.

In addition, consider that, in the book of Deuteronomy, Chapter 14, the LORD requires that the Israelites set apart a tithe of their yield, and eat the tithe in the place where the Lord sets his name. If, however, that place is too far to carry everything they produced agriculturally, then the LORD stipulates that they "may turn it into money. With the money secure in hand, go to the place that the LORD your God will choose; spend the money for whatever you wish - oxen, sheep, wine, strong drink, or whatever you desire. And you shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God, you and your household rejoicing together"(Deut. 14:25-26, NRSV).

I understand Paul's advice to the strong to consider the weak; I also think that discernment and common sense have their place here. In light of the above, I can't issue a blanket condemnation of beer in moderation as anything but an innocent pleasure sanctioned by God.

However, it's one I can't enjoy any more; I've just gotten a diagnosis of gout (yep, I'm that old), and one of the chief dietary culprits is BEER! And I AM a beer snob!:mad::mad::cry:

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blong4133

Feb 28, 2012
Virginia
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What about non-alcoholic beer?
non-Alcoholic beer still has a little bit of alcohol in it (O'Doul's or something equivalent). They can't make the beer without alcohol, so they make the beer as they usually would, but then go through an additional process that removes MOST of the alcohol but not all.

If it's a sin to drink alcohol at all, then that's still a no-go.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree with Mr Geisler.Paul wrote:
1 Cor 11:20-22 When you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat, for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk. Don't you have homes to eat and drink in? NIV

Clearly is was not highly diluted wine being drunk at the communal meals if some became drunk. And Paul is also suggesting that it was OK to drink alcoholic beverages at home.

John
NZ

paul says "a little" for a medical remedy. Nothing else is implied.

wine was no more that 5% or as strong as a wine cooler, probably less due to the fact they drank a lot in a sitting. More likely it tasted more like juice with a little bitterness, some believe the use of wine can be a generalization for juice. However, we know it was wine, just weak wine. So both are right, it was a spiked grape juice. With anywhere from 10% -33% alcohol of our table wines, but Christ being not in the elite groups probably had the lower end stuff.
How do I know that it was a juice or a wine cooler type of drink that was served….well Edersheim knew history as secular and Jewish, so His would be more accurate than simply a historian that doesn't know the customs of the Jews. Here are various quotes…

“According to the Talmud most of the calves for sacrifices were brought from that district. The wine of Sharon was celebrated, and, for beverage, supposed to be mixed with one-third of water. “
“The cup, in which, according to express Rabbinic testimony,a the wine had been mixed with water before it was ‘blessed,’ had passed round. The next part of the ceremonial was for the Head of the Company to rise and ‘wash hands.’ It is this part of the ritual of which St. Johnb records the adaptation and transformation on the part of Christ. The washing of the disciples’ feet is evidently connected with the ritual of ‘handwashing.’ Now this was done twice during the Paschal Supper:c the first time by the Head of the Company alone, immediately after the first cup; the second time by all present, at a much later part of the service, immediately before the actual meal (on the Lamb, &c.).”

“This is not the place to furnish what may be termed a list of menus at Jewish tables. In earlier times the meal was, no doubt, very simple. It became otherwise when intercourse with Rome, Greece, and the East made the people familiar with foreign luxury, while commerce supplied its requirements. Indeed, it would scarcely be possible to enumerate the various articles which seem to have been imported from different, and even distant, countries.
To begin with: the wine was mixed with water, and, indeed, some thought that the benediction should not be pronounced till the water had been added to the wine.a According to one statement, two parts,b according to another, three parts, of water were to be added to the wine.c Various vintages are mentioned: among them a red wine of Saron, and a black wine. Spiced wine was made with honey and pepper. Another mixture, chiefly used for invalids, consisted of old wine, water, and balsam; yet another was ‘wine of myrrh;’d we also read of a wine in which capers had been soaked. To these we should add wine spiced, either with pepper, or with absinth; and what is described as vinegar, a cooling drink made either of grapes that had not ripened, or of the lees. Besides these, palm-wine was also in use. Of foreign drinks, we read of wine from Ammon, and from the province Asia, the latter a kind of ‘must’ boiled down. Wine in ice came from the Lebanon; a certain kind of vinegar from Idumæa; beer from Media and Babylon; a barley-wine (zythos) from Egypt. Finally, we ought to mention Palestinian apple-cider,e and the juice of other fruits. If we adopt the rendering of some, even liqueurs were known and used.”

“The cup, in which, according to express Rabbinic testimony,a the wine had been mixed with water before it was ‘blessed,’ had passed round. The next part of the ceremonial was for the Head of the Company to rise and ‘wash hands.’ It is this part of the ritual of which St. Johnb records the adaptation and transformation on the part of Christ. The washing of the disciples’ feet is evidently connected with the ritual of ‘handwashing.’ Now this was done twice during the Paschal Supper:c the first time by the Head of the Company alone, immediately after the first cup; the second time by all present, at a much later part of the service, immediately before the actual meal (on the Lamb, &c.). If the footwashing had taken place on the latter occasion, it is natural to suppose that, when the Lord rose, all the disciples would have followed His example, and so the washing of their feet would have been impossible. Again, the foot-washing, which was intended both as a lesson and as an example of humility and service,d was evidently connected with the dispute ‘which of them should be accounted to be greatest.’ If so, the symbolical act of our Lord must have followed close on the strife of the disciples, and on our Lord’s teaching what in the Church constituted rule and greatness. Hence the act must have been connected with the first handwashing—that by the Head of the Company—immediately after the first cup, and not with that at a later period, when much else had intervened.”

“If the view formerly expressed is correct, that the owner of the house had provided all that was needed for the Supper, Peter and John would find there the Wine for the four Cups, the cakes of unleavened Bread, and probably also ‘the bitter herbs.’ Of the latter five kinds are mentioned,c which were to be dipped once in salt water, or vinegar, and another time in a mixture called Charoseth (a compound made of nuts, raisins, apples, almonds, &c.1)—although this Charoseth was not obligatory. The wine was the ordinary one of the country, only red; it was mixed with water, generally in the proportion of one part to two of water.2 The quantity for each of the four Cups is stated by one authority as five-sixteenths of a log, which may be roughly computed at half a tumbler—of course mixed with water.1 The Paschal Cup is described (according to the rubrical measure, which of course would not always be observed) as two fingers long by two fingers broad, and its height as a finger, half a finger, and one-third of a finger. All things being, as we presume, ready in the furnished upper room, it would only remain for Peter and John to see to the Paschal Lamb, and anything else required for the Supper, possibly also to what was to be offered as Chagigah, or festive sacrifice, and afterwards eaten at the Supper. If the latter were to be brought, the disciples would, of course, have to attend earlier in the Temple. The cost of the Lamb, which had to be provided, was very small. So low a sum as about threepence of our money is mentioned for such a sacrifice.a But this must refer to a hypothetical case rather than to the ordinary cost, and we prefer the more reasonable computation, from one Selab to three Selaim,c i.e. from 2s. 6d. to 7s. 6d. of our money.”

“The Mishnah continues to explain that, in order to involve guilt, the thing carried from one locality to another must be sufficient to be entrusted for safe keeping. The quantity is regulated: as regards the food of animals, to the capacity of their mouth; as regards man, a dried fig is the standard. As regards fluids, the measure is as much wine as is used for one cup, that is—the measure of the cup being a quarter of a log, and wine being mixed with water in the proportion of three parts water to one of wine—one-sixteenth of a log.2 As regards milk, a mouthful; of honey, sufficient to lay on a wound; of oil, sufficient to anoint the smallest member; of water, sufficient to wet eyesalve; and of all other fluids, a quarter of a log.
As regarded other substances, the standard as to what constituted a burden was whether the thing could be turned to any practical use, however trifling. Thus, two horse’s hairs might be made into a birdtrap; a scrap of clean paper into a custom-house notice; a small piece of paper written upon might be converted into a wrapper for a small flagon. In all these cases, therefore, transport would involve sin. Similarly, ink sufficient to write two letters, wax enough to fill up a small hole, even a pebble with which you might aim at a little bird, or a small piece of broken earthenware with which you might stir the coals, would be ‘burdens!’
Passing to another aspect of the subject, the Mishnah lays it down that, in order to constitute sin, a thing must have been carried from one locality into another entirely and immediately, and that it must have been done in the way in which things are ordinarily carried. If an object which one person could carry is carried by two, they are not guilty. Finally, like all labour on the Sabbath, that of cutting one’s nails or hair involves mortal sin, but only if it is done in the ordinary way, otherwise only the lesser sin of the breach of the Sabbath rest. A very interesting notice in connection with St. John 5, is that in which it is explained how it would not involve sin to carry a living person on a pallet, the pallet being regarded only as an accessory to the man; while to carry a dead body in such manner, or even the smallest part of a dead body, would involve guilt.”

Pesach dinner I think…

The Mishnah Account

“As detailed in the earliest Jewish record of ordinances—the Mishnah—the service of the Paschal Supper was exceedingly simple. Indeed, the impression left on the mind is, that, while all the observances were fixed, the prayers, with some exceptions preserved to us, were free. Rabbi Gamaliel, the teacherof St. Paul, said:1 ‘Whoever does not explain three things in the Passover has not fulfilled the duty incumbent on him. These three things are: the Passover lamb, the unleavened bread, and the bitter herbs. The Passover lamb means that God passed over the blood-sprinkled place on the houses of our fathers in Egypt; the unleavened bread means that our fathers were delivered out of Egypt (in haste); and the bitter herbs mean that the Egyptians made bitter the lives of our fathers in Egypt.’ A few additional particulars are necessary to enable the reader to understand all the arrangements of the Paschal Supper. From the time of the evening-sacrifice nothing was to be eaten till the Paschal Supper, so that all might come to it with relish.2 It is a moot point, whether at the time of our Lord two, or, as at present, three, large cakes of unleavened bread were used in the service. The Mishnah mentions3 these five kinds as falling within the designation of ‘bitter herbs,’ viz. lettuce, endive, succory (garden endive?), what is called ‘Charchavina’ (urtica, beets?), and horehound (bitter coriander?). The ‘bitter herbs’ seem to have been twice partaken of during the service, once dipped in salt water or vinegar, and a second time with Charoseth, a compound of dates, raisins, etc., and vinegar, though the Mishnah expressly declares4 that Charoseth was not obligatory. Red wine alone was to be used at the Paschal Supper, and always mixed with water.5 Each of the four cups must contain at least the fourth of a quarter of an hin (the hin = one gallon two pints). Lastly, it was a principle that, after the Paschal meal, they had no Aphikomen (after-dish), an expression which may perhaps best be rendered by ‘dessert.’
The ‘Giving Thanks’
The Paschal Supper itself commenced by the head of ‘the company’ taking the first cup of wine in his hand, and ‘giving thanks’ over it in these words: ‘Blessed art Thou, Jehovah our God, who hast created the fruit of the vine! Blessed art Thou, Jehovah our God King of the Universe, who hast chosen us from among all people, and exalted us from among all languages, and sanctified us with Thy commandments! And Thou hast given us, O Jehovah our God, in love, the solemn days for joy, and the festivals and appointed seasons for gladness; and this the day of the feast of unleavened bread, the season of our freedom, a holy convocation, the memorial of our departure from Egypt. For us hast Thou chosen; and us hast Thou sanctified from among all nations, and Thy holy festivals with joy and with gladness hast Thou caused us to inherit. Blessed art Thou, O Jehovah, who sanctifiest Israel and the appointed seasons! Blessed art Thou, Jehovah, King of the Universe, who hast preserved us alive and sustained us and brought us to this season!’1
The First Cup
The first cup of wine was then drunk, and each washed his hands.1 It was evidently at this time that the Saviour in His self-humiliation proceeded also to wash the disciples’ feet.2

Edersheim, Alfred: Sketches of Jewish Social Life. Grand Rapids, MI: Christian Classics Ethereal Library
a Babha B. 97 b, lines 11 and 12 from top
b St. John 13.
c Pes. 10. 4
Edersheim, Alfred: The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah. Bellingham, WA : Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1896, 2003, S. 2:497
a Ber. 7:5.
b Nidd. 2:7
c Pes. 108 a
d Mentioned in St. Mark 15:23
e Terum. 11:2
Edersheim, Alfred: The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah. Bellingham, WA : Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1896, 2003, S. 2:208
a Babha B. 97 b, lines 11 and 12 from top
b St. John 13.
c Pes. 10. 4
d St. John 13:12–16
Edersheim, Alfred: The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah. Bellingham, WA : Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1896, 2003, S. 2:497
c Pes. 2. 6
1 As it was symbolic of the clay on which the children of Israel worked in Egypt, the rubric has it that it must be thick (Pes. 116 a).
2 The contention that it was unfermented wine is not worth serious discussion, although in modern practice (for reasons needless to mention) its use is allowed.
1 The whole rubric is found in Jer. Pes. 37 c. The log = to the contents of six eggs. Herzfeld (Handelsgesch. p. 184) makes 1/32 of a log = a dessert spoon. 12 log = 1 hin.
a Chag. 1. 2
b Menach. 13. 8
c Sheqal. 2. 4
Edersheim, Alfred: The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah. Bellingham, WA : Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1896, 2003, S. 2:485-486
2 It has been calculated by Herzfeld that a log = 0.36 of a litre; ‘six hen’s eggs.’
Edersheim, Alfred: The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah. Bellingham, WA : Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1896, 2003, S. 2:783-784
1 Pes. 10. 15.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since wine is about 12% alcohol, 3:1 diluted wine is 3% alcohol... basically the same as light beer.

yep but since they drank much in a sitting supposes that the wine was even less percent alcohol than others. Jesus would never create wine to be used to cause drunkeness. They must have had a less of a percentage of alcohol. 1-2% maybe.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible shows us that both sides of this question can be right.

Matthew 11:18-19: For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”

Jesus drank wine. His first miracle was to create more wine for a wedding party. He was called a glutton and drunkard by the conservatives of His day.

John the Baptist did not drink and had very conservative lifestyle views, to the point where many thought he was crazy or possessed by a demon.

Both were right. Neither lived a sinful lifestyle. The lesson to be learned here is that drinking alcohol is not the issue in an of itself... circumstances (ie. how much, how often, where, when, etc,), what's in your heart, and how the Holy Spirit individually convicts us are factors and we shouldn't pass judgment on each other.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Edersheim is a reliable source,but even diluted wine rather misses the point. If one's objection is any drink containing alcohol then the amount is inconsequential. Edersheim's view would support sensible drinking rather than a total prohibition.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Considering the Bible specifically states that drinking is a sin..what do YOU think?
if that is the case then Jesus was a sinner and could not pay the price for our sins and therefore christianity is a sham. i don't believe that to be the case. perhaps you should do a bit more reading.

Lets go to one of your faveourite sayings. WWJD? jesus was called a drunkard and a glutton. Was he called that because he was seen to never touch a drop of alcohol?

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
May seem like a stupid question, but I'm just curious how some of you view drinking beer and being a Christian.

I'm 24 year old, and occasionally I enjoy have a beer or two. I don't let it get out of hand, but if my friends and I go out, I will usually have one or two. And sometimes I have one before bed to unwind if I'm gonig through a stressful time (although that is very very rare, but I had a couple last night because I'm going through a lot of stress at the moment with school and exams and whatnot).

My dad is a devout member and preacher in the Church of Christ. And the Church of Christ is a very, very traditional church. No instruments in the church, no smoking, drinking or anything like that. I now go to a non-denominational church because I have a hard time leaving church feeling scared (like I did when I went to the church of christ...a lot of lessons about "if you do this, you're going to hell" type stuff...not saying it's like that everywhere, but my Dad gives those types of sermons) but I opted to go to a non-denominational church where I walk out feeling inspired, uplifted and just feel great in general.

I view myself as a good Christian, but I still, to this day, have not gotten a real answer whether Beer is a bad thing or not. I've always assumed that it's OK if I have one or two here and there.

So what do you all think?
i think generally speaking drinking alcohol in moderation is fine. however drinking for the wrong reasons is a problem. That is why i am not drinking any alcohol at the moment. i am going through a tough time in life so I'm not going to touch a drop. Earlier times in my life I would have one or two beers occasionly. there is nothing I can see in the bible that says that is wrong. At my wedding it was alcohol free because we had invited several former alcoholics. Your drinking when stressed is a problem. it may be infrequent but your reasons are imo wrong. When your friend came over no problem sharing a beer with him or when having a BBQ. That you can drink in moderation is great. Drinking to relieve stress to me is wrong even if it is just a small amount and not enough to get drunk.

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yep but since they drank much in a sitting supposes that the wine was even less percent alcohol than others. Jesus would never create wine to be used to cause drunkeness. They must have had a less of a percentage of alcohol. 1-2% maybe.

I don't see any reason to come to this conclusion.

Upvote 0