Christian Universalism. What's not to like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(quote=2PhiloVoid)Fortunately, for me, the nature of Hell was always only a secondary consideration in the reasons "why" I felt I needed Jesus back when I first picked up the Bible and read it years ago.
And being that I didn't grow up in a mental environment that was Church heavy, let alone biblically aware in much of any way, the idea of Hell in any form was never a main impetus in later pushing me toward accepting Jesus; rather I've always had more existential needs which Jesus fulfills and by which I have been drawn to Him--the main reason for my faith is that I saw Jesus as the only worthwhile force in my life and the main, leading mentor for the shaping of my mind, giving me the direction I needed by which to navigate an ugly social existence.
So, just keep in mind that not all of the rest of us who disagree with you here about UR do so for either the emotional or the rational reasons that you've many times described and imputed to others.(/QUOTE)
My story is much the same. The first time I attended Sunday School was when FDR was president. The only time I heard "hell" was when some adult said it. Church attendance was sporadic until I became a Christian when LBJ was president. Didn't enter the ministry until Reagan. The only sermon on hell I ever heard I preached when Hillary's husband was president.
It only takes 1 verse to support the doctrine. Matt 25:46
Matthew 25:46
46 And these shall go away into everlasting [aionios] punishment [kolasis]: but the righteous into life eternal.​
(Summation of previous arguments) "But wait a minute dude 'aionios' does not mean 'everlasting' it means 'age long' and 'kolasis' does not mean 'punishment' it means 'correction."
Jesus clearly defined the meaning of "aionios" in ten verses but I'll only quote 2.
John 3:15-17
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [aionios] life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [aionios] life.​
In these two verses Jesus juxtaposed "aionios" with "should not perish" twice. "Aionios" by definition means eternal/everlasting.
How about "kolasis?" It occurs only twice in the NT.
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment [kolasis]. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.​
In this verse there is no correction. The one who has kolasis is not made perfect, is not corrected.

That could very well be, but I still lean toward a sort of Annihilationist type interpretation of all of this ... which as I mentioned in another post is something I'm not a huge stickler on either way and it's not something I'll argue over here.

For me, I think it's enough to know that if we refuse Jesus directly and knowingly all the way until the point that we leave this mortal life, we will lose out on the Eternal Life that He wants to give us, and in this at least, I think we agree. :praying:

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is inferred, or concluded, in the fact that some were the Elect, predestined for salvation. What becomes of the rest? Those who weren't the Elect, those who weren't predestined. They were predestined for something else, but what?

Countless billions that had never heard of Christ, those who were never presented with a decision. Did they have a choice?

Saint Steven said:
You are an Annihilationist then?

Do you believe that the vast majority are predestined to be incinerated?

God looks at the heart ... only He knows it.

The elect ...
Read Romans 8:28-29. What does God call us to? What does He choose us for?

In God’s Time

This passage specifically states that God predestined humans to be conformed to the image of His Son. It is not saying that God predestines us either to be saved or to be condemned, and that we have no choice in the matter.

In other words, the election is for the purpose of our transformation. We are to be changed to reflect the Son of God. This transformation is then promised in the following verse (Rom. 8:30), in which Paul, the author, states that those whom God calls He also justifies (makes us righteous) and glorifies (sanctifies). Thus we are not left to transform ourselves, but rather, God promises to accomplish this transformation by His power.

this has been the case since the beginning ... after the fall .... faith in God ... God in the bible throughout is Jesus .... Jesus IS God.

His word says the lost will be like the sands of the sea

Do you believe that the vast majority are predestined to be incinerated?[/QUOTE]

His word says the lost will be like the sands of the sea ... also says there will be a remnant (rev 12)
(a small remaining quantity of something)

Nobody is Predestined to be lost ... those who are lost will be incinerated.

Predestined ...

Romans 8:28 and continuing to Romans 8:29 brings God’s foreknowledge into the discussion. Here is where many stumble. People read “foreknowledge” as God’s predetermined will. But this is not the case. Paul introduces God’s “foreknowledge” using the conjunction “for” or “because”, implying that the phrase, “whom he did foreknow” is an explanatory remark related to the previous phrase, “those who are called according to His purpose”.

God foreknows those who are “called according to His purpose”. Paul then says of those ones that God “foreknew”, He “also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son”.

Foreknowledge = Predestined ->To be Conformed to the Image of the Son

The reason for this predestination is “that he [Jesus] might be the firstborn among many brethren” (verse 29), by the many being conformed to His image. To conform them, they first must be “born again” in Christ. Those who are “born again” have been called in accord with this purpose.

Now we know that the calling of God includes the invitation: “Whosever will, let Him take of the water of life freely” (Revelation 22:17). This is an invitation to “whosoever will”. Anyone that wants to, let him or her drink. This is a universal invitation.

Paul then says, those whom He called are also justified (Romans 8:30). Does that mean that everyone called is automatically justified? No. Jesus has said that He will “draw all men” unto Himself through the power of the Cross (John 12:32). However, in accordance with Romans 3:26, God “is the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus”. Those whom God justifies are only those that exercise belief in Jesus. That the drawing of God is universal, is further supported by the fact that that drawing includes an unwillingness on God’s part “that any should perish”. God is willing rather “that all should come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9).

God’s purpose then includes a willingness for all to be conformed to the image of His Son. But in between the willingness for all to come and the conforming, is the harmonic:

Only the “whosoevers” that will come and “believe” on Jesus are permitted to take “freely” of the water of life and thus be ultimately conformed to the image of His Son. This freedom to believe or not to believe is the harmonic undergirding all that God does within those whom He calls. In the word picture below, this Harmonic sits between Calling and Conforming:

Calling<=>Harmonic (freely believe)<=>Conforming

The Calling of God does not compromise this harmonic at any step in the process, else it becomes discordant with God’s Purpose.

Purpose = Calling =>Harmonic (freely believe ) =>Conforming If those called do not continue to drink “freely” of the “water of life” by “believing” on the Son, they will not be conformed to His image.

Understanding this harmonic within God’s Purpose, divine foreknowledge then is God foreseeing those who will respond willingly to the call to believe and drink. They will be “born again” in Christ. And those that God did foreknow, Paul goes on to say, He also did “predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son”.

Predestination then is God’s predetermination that all those whom He foresees responding willingly to the invitation to come and believe, will be permitted to drink. They will be justified by faith in Jesus.

And those whom He has justified, according to Paul, He will also glorify. They are the ones that God will ultimately conform to the image of His Son. As they drink from the water of life freely, God works together all things, in order that they may go on to full conformity to the image of His Son and thus constitute the many brethren. That is the work of the Holy Spirit within each one who believes. The Spirit that regenerates those who believe is the Spirit that also transforms them day by day into the same image, “from glory to glory” (2 Corinthians 3:18).

What this means for one who is yet to believe is that God’s invitation, “whosever will, let him drink”, is an invitation to freely receive the gift of salvation. “Let him drink”. If you are one of those souls, this is an invitation open to all.

“The same divine mind that is working upon the things of nature is speaking to the hearts of men and creating an inexpressible craving for something they have not. The things of the world cannot satisfy their longing. The Spirit of God is pleading with them to seek for those things that alone can give peace and rest—the grace of Christ, the joy of holiness.”

But God will not force one to accept Him nor will He deny you if you are willing to believe in Jesus and accept His forgiveness for your sin. He will pardon you, and justify you freely “through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus” (Romans 3:24).

What this means for those who do believe in Jesus (who is God) is that God will accomplish His purpose in you. He will conform you to the image of Jesus. All He asks is that you freely exercise your faith in Him constantly. Don’t let the present difficulties discourage you in the Christian life. Take up the battle in the strength of the Holy Spirit. Remember, Paul recognised that the sufferings of the present are to be expected by those who are children of God and joint heirs with Christ (Romans 8:1717). If Christ suffered, then so shall we. But note, Paul’s attitude to sufferings in view of God’s ultimate purpose:

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us” (verse 18).

So no matter what happens to you, no matter what trials or tribulations come your way, no matter what sufferings you may be called to endure, you can have confidence, founded in God’s determined purpose, that He is working ALL things together for your ultimate good—His predetermined purpose—that your life will be conformed to the image of Jesus (who is God).

Countless billions that had never heard of Christ, those who were never presented with a decision. Did they have a choice?

Eleoheim (OT) the 3 are one. One God.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

All have had choice and have choice ... until Jesus returns.

Romans 1:20
For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That could very well be, but I still lean toward a sort of Annihilationist type interpretation of all of this ... which as I mentioned in another post is something I'm not a huge stickler on either way and it's not something I'll argue over here.
For me, I think it's enough to know that if we refuse Jesus directly and knowingly all the way until the point that we leave this mortal life, we will lose out on the Eternal Life that He wants to give us, and in this at least, I think we agree. :praying:
I can live with that. I usually have exchanges with folks who know that they know that they know etc. that they are right and anyone who doesn't agree with them is a lost sinner and all kinds of bad words.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 9:22
What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with great patience objects of wrath prepared for destruction? 23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon objects of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory...

Do not these verses challenge the notion of universal salvation?

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Romans 9:22
What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with great patience objects of wrath prepared for destruction? 23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon objects of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory...

Do not these verses challenge the notion of universal salvation?

You will need to give us a definition of what you mean by "wrath" because it's clearly different than the one I and others are using and which has been described for you several times now. Discussion obviously isn't possible if we mean different things by the term.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with all of that but I would just add the universalist point that Jesus will actually "draw all people" to Himself (John 12:32) and therefore all of humanity will be saved through Jesus.

He draws .... invites .... He does not force anyone.

His Word does not teach all of humanity will be saved.

“The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing (some have and will), we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour”.

Example ...

"You refuse to come to me to have life." (John 5:40) Jesus didn't say that they couldn't come to him, but that they refused to come to him (some have, do and will refuse). Resisting the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
He draws .... invites .... He does not force anyone.

His Word does not teach all of humanity will be saved.

“The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing (some have and will), we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour”.

Example ...

"You refuse to come to me to have life." (John 5:40) Jesus didn't say that they couldn't come to him, but that they refused to come to him (some have, do and will refuse). Resisting the Holy Spirit.

Many people refuse God but that doesn't mean that they will refuse Him forever. I agree that God doesn't force anyone to come to Him but why would He need to? Do you think anyone would refuse God once they see Him clearly?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Many people refuse God but that doesn't mean that they will refuse Him forever. I agree that God doesn't force anyone to come to Him but why would He need to? Do you think anyone would refuse God once they see Him clearly?

Even "professing" christians ...

Matthew 7:21-23

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Again, you are reading an everlasting time duration into the text which is simply not there.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Again, you are reading an everlasting time duration into the text which is simply not there.

ie ... If one does not enter the kingdom ....

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

John 18:36
Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”

Jesus taught his followers to pray: “Thy kingdom come on earth as in heaven.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
What part of "Not everyone will enter the kingdom of heaven" do you not understand? Where does this say "maybe" or "could be?"
Jesus is outside of time, when He said "I never knew you" do you think that He meant only those in the past, when He had just said, "Not everyone will enter the kingdom of heaven?"

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You will need to give us a definition of what you mean by "wrath" because it's clearly different than the one I and others are using and which has been described for you several times now. Discussion obviously isn't possible if we mean different things by the term.

Wrath (thumos) Hot Anger, fierceness

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wrath (thumos) Hot Anger, fierceness

Okay, that's pretty clear (finally!). Your God is filled with Hot Anger and fierceness. That's fine of course and good luck with that but that's not the God I know so nothing productive is going to come out of you and I continuing this joyful exchange. Maybe someone else will care to take over or, then again, perhaps not. Whatever yeah :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, that's pretty clear (finally!). Your God is filled with Hot Anger and fierceness. That's fine of course and good luck with that but that's not the God I know so nothing productive is going to come out of you and I continuing this joyful exchange. Maybe someone else will care to take over or, then again, perhaps not. Whatever yeah :)

I have quoted Vines for the Greek translation of the word used in scripture to describe an attribute of God.

You can deny this if you want but to do so is to deny the plain meaning of scripture from the greek text.

By the way I am not referring to "My God" as if He was constructed by my thoughts.

You are arguing against what He has plainly written.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 2:4

do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and restraint and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will repay each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life; 8 but to those who are self-serving and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, He will give wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of mankind who does evil..."

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 2:7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life; ..."
Not long ago I set for myself the task of reviewing every occurrence of the word "aionios" in the N.T.
“aionios” occurs 72x in the N.T.
“aionios” is translated eternal 42 times in the N.T.
“aionios” is translated everlasting 25 times in the N.T.
Rom 2:7 is one of 24 verses where "aionios" is defined as "eternal"/everlasting" by other words or phrases.
In Rom 2:7 Paul parallels "aionios" with "immortality." A person cannot have "finite age life" and "immortality." at the same time. By definition "aionios" means "eternal."

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not long ago I set for myself the task of reviewing every occurrence of the word "aionios" in the N.T.
“aionios” occurs 72x in the N.T.
“aionios” is translated eternal 42 times in the N.T.
“aionios” is translated everlasting 25 times in the N.T.
Rom 2:7 is one of 24 verses where "aionios" is defined as "eternal"/everlasting" by other words or phrases.
In Rom 2:7 Paul parallels "aionios" with "immortality." A person cannot have "finite age life" and "immortality." at the same time. By definition "aionios" means "eternal."

Thanks for the confirmation DA - :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.