Berlin
✟13,095.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Divorced
In Germany there is a TV station called "Bible TV". There are documentaries, films and series, all of which have more or less a Christian or neutral content.
Series such as "Touched by an Angel" or "Highway to heaven" can be seen there as well as the crime stories of Father Brown, or Road to Avonlea.
I am interested in these series for professional reasons, as a screenwriter. So I immediately recognize the turning points of a story, but also how a character is described.
There are good and bad things (from my point of view) about these series.

It's good that they address issues like racism, homophobia and justice, but I think it's bad that these stories are told more "American" than internationally, in other words, they all have a happy ending.
But life isn't just about a happy ending. Sometimes pain, self-hatred and suicides/murders.
For example, I am currently writing a screenplay for a German private television station about several parts, which is based on a true story. I only changed names, places and times.
This story (working title: The Three Lives of Mike Peterson) is about a man who was in prison (legally he was guilty, morally not), and had to lead three lives. The first two, religion and work, he lived to survive. The third life corresponded to his personality. Because of his third life, he lost work, religion and family, and in the end committed suicide because no one accepted him as he was.

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with your comment that most of the American type movies or series have happy endings. I find the European type movies have a more realistic slant on them and much prefer them (I'm in Australia) for realism.
There is a Christian movie that I liked called The Time Changer, and also one called The Prayer Box which you may like to watch.

Upvote 0

LindaBerlin

Nov 15, 2020
Berlin
✟13,095.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Divorced
I agree with your comment that most of the American type movies or series have happy endings. I find the European type movies have a more realistic slant on them and much prefer them (I'm in Australia) for realism.
There is a Christian movie that I liked called The Time Changer, and also one called The Prayer Box which you may like to watch.

Many Christian movies and series do not find their way to Germany or Europe. Unfortunately.
As for the American happy ending, it only makes sense if the protagonist has gone through an evolution. For example, a murderer who ends up recognizing what he has done and getting forgiveness from his victim's relatives.

Upvote 0

Kenneth9820

Jul 23, 2022
Kansas
✟1,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I like the TV series The Young Pope from HBO. It is broadcast on the Hulu channel, which you can connect to your device, such as Firestick. If you can't afford to pay for a subscription, you can choose another free channel 55 Best FireStick Channels (Free & Paid) in 2022 - Fire Stick How . Everything is freely available and completely understandable!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I read Hans Christian Andersen's "The Little Mermaid", when I was a little girl, and believe me, it is nothing like the American Disney, made-over version with the happy ending. It was so sad, it made me cry. In the ending the mermaid sort of died, she became a spirit, one of the daughters of air, who sought to gain a soul so she could enter heaven. The daughters of air entered human houses and rooms with children, if the children were good they got more points to go to heaven, if the children were bad they loss some points to enter heaven. So I tried to be good.

So I know a lot of stories don't have happy endings. In Grimm fairy tales their were a lot of cruel sadistic tortuous deaths and punishments for the villains. In the Disney versions they changed some of that.

Upvote 0

littleangelone

Mar 9, 2019
Oregon
✟48,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i read the same fairy tale too my grama had 2 book of fairy tales & i read them & i read the orginal The Little Mermaid Story & yes it was sad i have to agree with you it wasn't at all like Disney's version, but it was good though

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have enough problems with depression already, don't need sad movies bringing me down. I like a happy ending. I want the story to be realistic where the happy ending is hard-won through wisdom and suffering. God's love, God's will, repentance, faith in God, prayer, hope, I like it when the characters and heroes use these things to get their happy ending. I like Christian movies. Worldly movies are to much filled with flesh values and do not have Godly virtues about true love. Instead of simple, deep, honest, compassionate gentle wise patient love of God that values marriage, hollywood 'love is passionate and wild, impatient and brutal lust rough, disrespectful, demanding, cruel painful, violent, dark, and sometimes eve abusive. It can be shameful, embarrassing, and humiliating.

God's love and Godly, Christian romance is so much better than worldly romance. It is true love and not animal passion like fleshy, sinful devilish romance of Hollywood.

Upvote 0