✟1,696.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
FrankFaith said:
It appears that the Holy Spirit was speaking to C.S. Lewis--telling him a story. What do you think?

^_^

One should be careful, though, what they 'lay at the feet' of the Holy Spirit, i.e. credit to Him.

Yes, Lewis was divinely inspired. :holy: Like the writers of the books of the Bible, no less. :bow:

It could all be just what C.S. Lewis said, though...that he basically never intended for Narnia to be Christian allegory.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
ProAmerican said:
^_^
It could all be just what C.S. Lewis said, though...that he basically never intended for Narnia to be Christian allegory.
I don't know where you got this information from, but it couldn't be more misleading in the light of this conversation.

In the strictly technical sense of allegory in that evey item is a direct representative of a different story, then no, Lewis did not intend it to be an allegory. In the sense that The Chronicles are to parallel the basic themes of Christianity, then Lewis did clearly state that was his intent.

The following excerpts are taken from Lewis' actual writings
Letter to Mrs. Hook 29 December 1958-

If Aslan represented the imaterial Deity in the same way in which Giant Despair represents Despair (in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress), he would be an allegorical figure. In reality, he is an invention giving an imaginary answer to the question, "What might Christ become like if there really were a world like Narnia and He chose to be incarnate and die and rise again in that world as He actually has done in ours?"

Letters of C. S. Lewis, editor W. H. Lewis
It is in one of his last letters (5 March 1961) to an older child, Anne, that Lewis most fully explains his intentions for the Chronicles of Narnia. Anne seems to have written Lewis about a scene from Chapter XVI, “The Healing of Harms,” in The Silver Chair. Aslan, Eustace, and Jill are in Aslan’s Country and they have just witnessed the restoration of the dead King Caspian to full life and youthful vigor. Jill cannot understand what she has just seen, so Aslan explains that Caspian had died and so had he.

"What Aslan meant when he said he had died is, in one sense plain enough. Read the earlier book in this series called The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and you will find the full story of how he was killed by the White Witch and came to life again. When you have read that, I think you will probably see that there is a deeper meaning behind it. The whole Narnian story is about Christ. That is to say, I asked myself ‘Supposing that there really was a world like Narnia and supposing it had (like our world) gone wrong and supposing Christ wanted to go into that world and save it (as He did ours) what might have happened?’ The stories are my answers. Since Narnia is a world of Talking Beasts, I thought He would become a Talking Beast there, as He became a man here. I pictured Him becoming a lion there because (a) the lion is supposed to be the king of beasts; (b) Christ is called ‘The Lion of Judah’ in the Bible; (c) I’d been having strange dreams about lions when I began writing the work. The whole series works out like this.

"The Magician’s Nephew tells the Creation and how evil entered Narnia.
The Lion etc the Crucifixion and Resurrection.
Prince Caspian restoration of the true religion after corruption.
The Horse and His Boy the calling and conversion of a heathen.
The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader' the spiritual life (especially in Reepicheep).
The Silver Chair the continuing war with the powers of darkness.
The Last Battle the coming of the Antichrist (the Ape). the end of the world and the Last Judgement."

Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
I saw the film a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it! I also loved the CGI but then that's another thing....!
I loved the allegorical aspects of the story and think that CSL was a great a writer. Soo much to comment upon but it's all been said before. Going to see it again in the next few days providing it's still showing (and the snow stays away!!!)

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since we're in the topic,

Did anyone notice that in the movie, during the coronation scene, Aslan says "may your line last until the stars fall from the sky" (or words to that effect)? I could not find that in the book. Maybe it's a sign that they would make more books of the Chronicles into movies?

Upvote 0

lovesblessing

The Lord's Beloved......
Aug 22, 2004
In God's Amazing Grace!
✟10,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's a pretty safe bet that there will be more of the Narnia stories...& here is something that got me thinking.....they are being distributed by Disney.......it would not surprise me in the least that if in a few years there becomes a "Narnia" attraction going into each of the Disney theme parks! They are really great at promotion......:D

How about that......I believe that "THE LION" is going to ROAR! I really believe the release of the Narnia movies at this time in His-story has alot more meaning behind it than what the "general populace" of the world know or understand. Because whether people like it or not, there is a spiritual force behind everything that happens on this planet......un-believers in Christ, have no clue.....we should!:thumbsup:

I saw the film, and do desire to see it again on the big screen....it was done with excellence! Walden Media is owned by the christian billionaire that lives in CO.......I believe that God will use ALL things available for His good.....movies weren't created for the evil use they have been turned into.....everything was made for Him, by Him and thru Him.

Much of God's Grace to you Andrew!

lovesblessing;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.