Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I saw it with my husband and his nonChristian daughter. It was interesting to see how she was drawn to the witch - just like in real life (*sob*). (I must admit she had the best costumes)

The more obvious analogy aside......

The winter to me represents a general lack of life and love in the world because of the pre-eminence granted by the "sons of Adam" to the enemy.

I was struck by the witch's attempt to cloak herself in the mantle of Aslan as she went into battle against His army, and I wonder what the meaning of that was.

just some thoughts
blessings
tal

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
For those who may not know, C.S. Lewis, the author of Chronicles of Narnia, wrote the tales as a way to share his faith with his children. The entire story is designed to be an allegory of the Christian faith.

Lewis, an Anglican, is considered one of the greatest theological writers of the last century. He wrote a number of theological works as well as his works of fiction.

Upvote 0

Hadron

In His Footsteps
Nov 4, 2004
✟2,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I saw it a couple weeks ago. I thought it was very well done (if but a little corny in some parts) and even though my mother complained about all the pagan imagery, I saw all the good in it and my heart leapt at all the parallels that I took in.

The point of the Deep Magic, as the witch called it, was misunderstood (as the Jews misinterpreted the prophecies and what the Law was actually for)...

When Aslan was risen, they went to the witch's stronghold and set the captives free...

Those that were living in sin were eventually turned to stone or worse...

Aslan breathing life into things that were once dead...

The betrayer, temptation, sin, redemption...
There are a ton more.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aslan=Jesus Christ

When Aslan goes to the Stone Table to meet the Witch and her minions=Jesus's Calvary and Crucifixion

Lucy and Susan accompaning Aslan up the Stone Table part way=the women who cried for Jesus

Edmund=a Judas figure/everyman (Jesus died for our sins)

Peter=St. Peter (at least for us Catholics ;) )

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A Recap of Narnia
There is a whole other world going on that no one even knows about.
The children (along with about 99.999%) of the world had never heard of this place called Narnia, but yet it existed simultaneously with their world. In this other world there are wars, powers, people, principles, laws, traditions, etc. that are FAR older than anything in the human world. The children discovered this world through a wardrobe/closet.

It's Relevance to Us
There is a whole other world going on that we don't even know about
Most people have never heard of such a spiritual realm as there really is, in Christ Jesus, but yet it exists simultaneously with our world. In this other realm there are wars, powers, people, principles, laws, traditions, etc. that are FAR older than anything in the human world. We discover this world through a 'prayer closet'.

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For those of you who have not read the book. The movie didn't include my favorite part.
The title of the Chapter where Aslan is killed is "Deep Magic from The Dawn of Time.
The title of the Chapter where Aslan is ressurected is "Deeper Magic from Before the Dawn of Time".

I loved that.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Great answers all!

Just to add:

The stone altar being broken speaks of the splitting of the temple, also of the breaking of the stone tablets -- the law is no more, here comes the new.

When Edmund the traitor came back and Aslan --Lion of Judah -- had a talk with him, later Aslan told the other brothers not to talk about the past anymore. -- forgiveness of sins -- "your sins and lawless deeds I will rem no more"

Also, Edmund the traitor was actually given the title Edmund the JUST. Once God justifies you no matter what you have done, you ARE justified!

When Aslan went to set the captives free, I saw that as resurrection life and "He led captivity captive..."

That last scene -- Aslan went away -- tells me Christ returned to the Father but will come back again one day -- 2nd coming.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heinrich

Jul 16, 2003
Western Cape
✟762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah great story.

Btw C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien was friends!
And if I got it the right way around now -> Tolkien was the main person god used to lead Lewis to salvation!

TheWayOfTheMaster ministries has a huge thing on this Narnia using it for evangelism. kewl hey

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I think its a great story, its a shame some of the fundies get their knickers in a knot about pagan imagery...

I never realised it was designed as an analogy for the christian fait, or at least deliberatly done. I read the books when I was younger and thought this sounds like what God did for us, but never realised it was a deliberate thing

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Heinrich said:
Yeah great story.

Btw C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien was friends!
And if I got it the right way around now -> Tolkien was the main person god used to lead Lewis to salvation!

TheWayOfTheMaster ministries has a huge thing on this Narnia using it for evangelism. kewl hey

Yes but funny thing was tht Tolkien was disappointed when CS Lewis became protestant instead of RC becos TK was RC.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
wizeone said:
I think its a great story, its a shame some of the fundies get their knickers in a knot about pagan imagery...

I never realised it was designed as an analogy for the christian fait, or at least deliberatly done. I read the books when I was younger and thought this sounds like what God did for us, but never realised it was a deliberate thing

Just to clarify, the Narnia series are a Christian Allegory, not an analogy :)

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Andrew said:
Yes but funny thing was tht Tolkien was disappointed when CS Lewis became protestant instead of RC becos TK was RC.

LOL, Tolkien was dissapointed tat Lewis never made it to becoming Catholic. Lewis did make it all the way to HIgh Anglicanism (which is pretty close IMHO ;) )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Quijote said:
Just to clarify, the Narnia series are a Christian Allegory, not an analogy :)
Check out the definiation of analogy, "a comparison in in respect of things that are dissimilar, a comparison based on such similarity a form of inference based on the asumption that if two things are similar in some respects they must be alike in other respects"'. A piece of ficton and the story how Jesus christ came to redeem mankind, seeminly dissimilar things.......

Ok so maybe allegory fits better, but on looking at the definaition of analogy, I would say its close enough to what I was trying to convey... Could we stop being so damm retentive please

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
wizeone said:
Check out the definiation of analogy, "a comparison in in respect of things that are dissimilar, a comparison based on such similarity a form of inference based on the asumption that if two things are similar in some respects they must be alike in other respects"'. A piece of ficton and the story how Jesus christ came to redeem mankind, seeminly dissimilar things.......

Ok so maybe allegory fits better, but on looking at the definaition of analogy, I would say its close enough to what I was trying to convey... Could we stop being so damm retentive please

Lol, :thumbsup:

*Quijote looks for his fiber pills* ^_^

Upvote 0

FrankFaith

Just don't call me late for dinner!
Aug 19, 2005
Mid Missouri
Visit site
✟15,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Holy Spirit said something to me recently:

"It is not obligatory to take an offered offense."

I can turn it down flat and continue in peace, should I choose. It's my choice.

It probably won't surprise anyone to hear that I still mess up and take offenses like they were a football and run with them from time to time! :| But this sure helps, huh!

This was an incredible movie!!

Does anyone know anything about the charactor of each of the four children--and the spiritual significance?

Upvote 0

ProAmerican

Veteran
Jun 1, 2005
✟1,696.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Christian themes in Narnia?

Well, this may surprise some here:

Some people seem to think that I began asking myself how I could say something about Christianity to children; then fixed on the fairy tale as an instrument; then collected information about child-psychology and decided what age group I'd write for; then drew up a list of basic Christian truths and hammered out 'allegories' to embody them. This is all pure moonshine. I couldn't write that way at all. Everything began with images; a faun carrying an umbrella, a queen on a sledge, a magnificent lion. At first there wasn't even anything Christian about them[Chronicles of Narnia]; that element pushed itself in of its own accord.
(C.S. Lewis. Of Other Worlds, p. 36)

Upvote 0

FrankFaith

Just don't call me late for dinner!
Aug 19, 2005
Mid Missouri
Visit site
✟15,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ProAmerican said:
Christian themes in Narnia?

Well, this may surprise some here:

(C.S. Lewis. Of Other Worlds, p. 36)

It appears that the Holy Spirit was speaking to C.S. Lewis--telling him a story. What do you think?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.