Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"God sees with utter clarity who we are. He is undeceived as to our warts and wickedness. But when God looks at us that is not all He sees. He also sees who we are intended to be, who we will one day become."

~John Ortberg

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"They had just come from church, he and his wife and their 3 children all under the age of 8. Words hissed out from his mouth as he told her how stupid she was and how he did not lie cuz it was her imagination. She was crazy. Who is she to know his bizznizz anyway? He doesn't have to tell her anything. If she doesn't like it she can leave. He went on to say that she had no right to interrupt him while he was in church. He wasn't going to let anything interfere with his worship. All this said within earshot of 3 small sets of ears, absorbing every word."

~brinny

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
To say on the authority of the Bible that God does a thing no honourable man would do, is to lie against God; to say that it is therefore right, is to lie against the very spirit of God. To uphold a lie for God’s sake is to be against God, not for him.

But where an evil thing is invented to explain and account for a good thing, and a lover of God is called upon to believe the invention or be cast out, he needs not mind being cast out, for it is into the company of Jesus.

Where there is no ground to believe that God does a thing except that men who would explain God have believed and taught it, he is not a true man who accepts men against his own conscience of God. I acknowledge no authority calling upon me to believe a thing of God, which I could not be a man and believe right in my fellow-man. I will accept no explanation of any way of God which explanation involves what I should scorn as false and unfair in a man.

If you say, That may be right of God to do which it would not be right of man to do, I answer, Yes, because the relation of the maker to his creatures is very different from the relation of one of those creatures to another, and he has therefore duties toward his creatures requiring of him what no man would have the right to do to his fellow-man; but he can have no duty that is not both just and merciful.

More is required of the Maker, by his own act of creation, than can be required of men. More and higher justice and righteousness is required of him by himself, the Truth;—greater nobleness, more penetrating sympathy; and nothing but what, if an honest man understood it, he would say was right.

Justice -George MacDonald-

http://www.ccel.org/m/macdonald/unspoken3/unspoken3.htm

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Beware in your prayer, above everything, of limiting God, not only by unbelief, but by fancying that you know what He can do. -Andrew Murray-

There is nothing safe in religion, except in such a course of behaviour that leaves nothing for corrupt nature to feed or live upon; which can only then be done when every degree of perfection we aim at is a degree of death to the passions of the natural man.

-William Law (Christian Regeneration)

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The law of Jehovah is perfect, restoring the soul" (Psa. 19:7). Most laws condemn the soul and pronounce sentence. The result of the law of my God is perfect. It condemns but forgives. It restores -- more than abundantly -- what it takes away. -Jim Elliot-

[move]Be persuaded, timid soul, that He has loved you too much to cease loving you. -François Fénelon-[/move]

• Friendly
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I will accept no explanation of any way of God that involves what I should scorn as false and unfair in a man. If it is said, 'It may be right of God to do something that it would not be right of man to do,' I answer, 'Yes, because more is required of God--not less.' God can have no duty that is not both just and merciful. More and higher justice and righteousness is required of Him by Himself, the Truth--greater nobleness, more penetrating sympathy, and nothing but what, if an honest man understood it, he would say was right.

-George MacDonald- (God The Merciful & Just)

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on Earth! I care not if I never raise my voice again for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him. Mayhap in mercy He shall give me a host of children that I may lead them through the vast star fields to explore His delicacies whose finger ends set them to burning. But if not, if only I may see Him, touch His garments, smile into His eyes -- ah then, not stars nor children shall matter, only Himself. - Jim Elliot-

What we have been told is how we men can be drawn into Christ -- can become part of that wonderful present which the young Prince of the universe wants to offer to His Father -- that present which is Himself and therefore us in Him. It is the only thing we were made for. And there are strange, exciting hints in the Bible that when we are drawn in, a great many other things in Nature will begin to come right. The bad dream will be over: it will be morning. -C.S. Lewis-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Divine love is universal in extent and effectual in operation; it will triumph over sin and destroy it; it will subdue and convert the hearts of sinners; it will secure the final holiness and happiness of all mankind in the most unlimited sense. -David E. L. Johnson-

He Spake To Them Of The Father -Hannah W. Smith-

Tyranny, unkindness, and neglect might perhaps be attributed to a God whose name was only a king, or a judge, or a lawgiver; but of a God, who is before all else a father, and, of necessity, since He is God, a good father, no such things could possibly be believed. Moreover, since He is an “everlasting Father,” He must in the very nature of things act, always and under all circumstances, as a good father ought to act, and never in any other way. It is inconceivable that a good father could forget, or neglect, or be unfair to his children. A savage father might, or a wicked father; but a good father never! And in calling our God by the blessed name of Father, we ought to know that, if He is a father at all, He must be the very best of fathers, and His fatherhood must be the highest ideal of fatherhood of which we can conceive. It is, as I have said, a fatherhood that combines both father and mother in one, in our highest ideals of both, and comprises all the love, and all the tenderness, and all the compassion, and all the yearning, and all the self-sacrifice, that we cannot but recognize to be the inmost soul of parentage, even though we may not always see it carried out by all earthly parents.

http://www.ccel.org/s/smith_hw/comfort/htm/V.htm#V

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Spiderrr said:
[move]God not only speaks in the red letters and the black letters; He speaks in the white spaces between the lines.[/move]

Pastor Richard Wurmbrand

[url="http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=50"]http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=50[/url]

All the discomfort and unrest of the religious life of so many of God’s children come, I feel sure, from this very thing that they do not understand that God is actually and truly their Father. They think of Him as a stern Judge, or a severe Taskmaster, or at the best as an unapproachable dignitary, seated on a far-off throne, dispensing exacting laws for a frightened and trembling world; and in their terror lest they should fail to meet His requirements they hardly know which way to turn. But of a God who is a Father, tender, loving, and full of compassion, a God who, like a father, will be on their side against the whole universe they have no conception. -Hannah W. Smith-

http://www.ccel.org/s/smith_hw/comfort/htm/V.htm#V

But God is not only a father, His love and tenderness is like a mother's as well, and we have all of us known mothers whose love and tenderness have been without bound or limit. And it is very certain that the God who created them both, and who is Himself father and like mother in one, could never have created earthly fathers and mothers who were more tender and more loving than He is Himself. Therefore if we want to know what sort of Father He is, we must heap together all the best of all the fathers and mothers we have ever known or can imagine, and we must tell ourselves that this is only a faint image of God, our Father in Heaven. -Hannah W. Smith-

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"God is a down-to-earth, 'for-real', get to the nitty gritty, transparent Being. If we follow Him we are the same. No pretense, guile, 'pretending', or 'secrets'. Some call themselves Christians. Yet what seeps out of their hearts in subtle words and actions belies what they claim. We either seek the Light or we seek the darkness. As it states in John, if we love our brothers there is no darkness in us because God is love. If we do not love our brothers we are not of God. Therefore we are in darkness. Those that choose not the Light hate it, all the while 'seeking' darkness.

In other words....

Quit yer lyin' and come clean. I see that wolf's tail stickin' outta that sheep's outfit yer wearin'"

~brinny

Upvote 0