Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read principle 6 as, "Thou shalt not coerce; thou shalt not convert by the sword." It emphasizes free choice, not evangelization. It is explicitly directionless: "freedom of religion and areligion," "responsibility for the basic direction," etc. That particular emphasis never increases evangelization, it always decreases it.

You are quoting yourself, not the authors, but if that concept of space for disputation and disagreement is central to their thesis, then sure.

Not precluded, but absent and mitigated.

That could be, but pluralists would rely on the exact same principles. See my post here.

I think that the early Christians were in a similar situation to our own. There was a dominant religious and cultural scheme that was tolerant of many ideas and groups, but was more or less intolerant of Christianity. Rather than conform to the culture the early Christians suffered persecution and martyrdom until they were finally allowed to practice their religion in its fulness.

I would say that Christians should follow that example and live out the faith in its fulness. Some will be attracted, some will be repelled; there may be some persecution, but there will also be victories. Rather than camouflage themselves in secular garb and values Christians should allow the distinctiveness of Christianity shine out. Rather than enter into odd treaties of tolerance and co-existence Christians should live the faith and apply internal principles on a case-by-case basis. Rather than take up a defensive position that tries to avoid conflict at all costs, they should take up their cross and follow Christ. In a word: be Christians, not pluralists. Sometimes the principles of the OP will be applicable and relevant, and sometimes they won't be. There is nothing a priori about them. But unless Christ was hopelessly ignorant of such points, it would seem that the goal of such peace treaties is a misplaced hope.

*yawn* Thanks for nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What is irrational about wanting Christianity to flourish in a pluralistic setting? Is it irrational to think it's possible?
If it flourishes it will no longer be a pluralistic society. The very fact their is a post on this shows that Christianity has been dying, it precisely why once christian societies are now pluralistic, with Christianity on a decline every decade for the past 40 years to make way for pluralism.

• Winner
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a general comment, the thrust of these principles seems to be an external focus especially 5 and 6 and the values embodied appear to be dependent on the modern western bias to individuality, freedom, and tolerance. Christians are called to be salt and light, testifying to the evil of the society they live in. Recognizing autonomy is necessary, but emphasizing the importance of it is contrary to Christianity. Christianity in the west has been domesticated, which is clear from the lack of persecution. In order to truly flourish, we must embrace being hated for speaking and living according to moral principles.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can Christians and Christian communities flourish in a pluralistic setting, contributing to the common good of all within that setting, without becoming isolated and thus ineffective or becoming relativistic and thus ineffective?

This account comes from For the Life of the World:Theology That Makes a Difference by Miroslav Volf and Matthew Croasman (BrazosPress; Grand Rapids, Michigan; 2019; pp. 104-107).

"What are some key elements of a Christian account of flourishing life that allow those who embrace it to live in peace and pursue common good in pluralistic settings, and to do so not only notwithstanding its claim to be true for every human and the entire world, but also largely because of it?"

1. Trinitarian monotheism: "...God is the source not just of the unity of the world but also of all the stunning diversity in it. Since, for Christians, the one God is the Holy Trinity, God is internally differentiated. Difference is not secondary, subsequent to unity; difference is equiprimordial with unity."

2. God is Unconditional Love: "God is not a mere omnipotent force. Neither is God a mere universal lawgiver. The central attribute of God is unconditional love...God brings all creatures into being and keeps them in being...Even when humans fail to live according to the law of love, God seeks to mend the world and bring it to its intended fullness so it can become what God created it to be: our home and God's home in one."

3. Jesus Christ the Light of the World: All light and all truth, whether possessed by Christians or non-Christians, is the light of the Word and therefore Christ's light. This too is the consequence of monotheism: not just that the truth about flourishing life that Christ proclaimed is for all people, but also that in virtue of Christ all people always already possess some of that truth, that they have what Justin Martyr famously called "seeds of the Word" (First Apology). It cannot be otherwise: if the Word is the creator of everything, all genuine insights derive from God who was in Jesus Christ. All truth sought and found anywhere takes us, ultimately, to Christ as its origin."

4. Distinction between God's rule and human rule: The Christian church is a loose international network of communities whose primary allegiance isn't to the states of which they are citizens or to some yet-to-be-created global super-state but to the one God of all people. Political pluralism and transnationalism fit well with the Christian vision of flourishing life."

5. The moral equality of all human beings: "All people have equal dignity; all have the same rights and the same moral obligations; all have fallen short of those obligations. There are no moral outsiders according to the Christian faith."

6. Freedom of religion and areligion: "The call of Jesus Christ "Come, follow me!" presumes that an individual who hears it is free to follow or not. From the earliest beginnings, it was clear that faith is either embraced freely or not at all: one believes with the heart, which is to say not by outward conformity to ambient influences or in reaction to outside dictates backed by overwhelming force but with the very core of one's being. Behind the stress on embracing faith freely lies the conviction that every person has the responsibility for the basic direction of his or her life."

The authors believe that these six principles are foundational to the Christian faith and if we embrace them we can nurture a culture of respect, live peaceably with others who differ from us, and create a space to live and dispute with other worldviews while flourishing together.

Thoughts?

Essentially, I like this 6-point approach, but I get snagged on a little something in that last thing you said, PH. How can we advocate for the creation of a social dialogue space that includes not only commonalities but something we'd call "dispute," even very serious dispute? Not all other persons in all other cultures are willing to allow us to promote a space that includes an exclusive (or even a limitedly inclusive) affirmation about religious salvation in Jesus.

What I'm saying here isn't meant to be a critique of what Miroslav Volf and Matthew Croasman are suggesting; rather, it's an intuitive leap on my part in sensing a potential clash of valus, especially if the Social Peace Jesus wants humanity to have isn't necessarily the kind of social peace that people want.

So, what I'm trying to drive at is that my issue with Volf and Croasman' approach isn't about whether we can succeed or not in contributing toward making a useful social space for the betterment of Mankind, but rather that the rest of Humanity might not like the little religious Trojan Horse that we Christians want to bring into "their" city. But... I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christianity in the west has been domesticated, which is clear from the lack of persecution.
This. I think the word 'domesticated' is the best adjective to describe Christianity in the west. I think I'll borrow it from now on.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How can Christians and Christian communities flourish in a pluralistic setting, contributing to the common good of all within that setting, without becoming isolated and thus ineffective or becoming relativistic and thus ineffective?

This account comes from For the Life of the World:Theology That Makes a Difference by Miroslav Volf and Matthew Croasman (BrazosPress; Grand Rapids, Michigan; 2019; pp. 104-107).

"What are some key elements of a Christian account of flourishing life that allow those who embrace it to live in peace and pursue common good in pluralistic settings, and to do so not only notwithstanding its claim to be true for every human and the entire world, but also largely because of it?"

1. Trinitarian monotheism: "...God is the source not just of the unity of the world but also of all the stunning diversity in it. Since, for Christians, the one God is the Holy Trinity, God is internally differentiated. Difference is not secondary, subsequent to unity; difference is equiprimordial with unity."

2. God is Unconditional Love: "God is not a mere omnipotent force. Neither is God a mere universal lawgiver. The central attribute of God is unconditional love...God brings all creatures into being and keeps them in being...Even when humans fail to live according to the law of love, God seeks to mend the world and bring it to its intended fullness so it can become what God created it to be: our home and God's home in one."

3. Jesus Christ the Light of the World: All light and all truth, whether possessed by Christians or non-Christians, is the light of the Word and therefore Christ's light. This too is the consequence of monotheism: not just that the truth about flourishing life that Christ proclaimed is for all people, but also that in virtue of Christ all people always already possess some of that truth, that they have what Justin Martyr famously called "seeds of the Word" (First Apology). It cannot be otherwise: if the Word is the creator of everything, all genuine insights derive from God who was in Jesus Christ. All truth sought and found anywhere takes us, ultimately, to Christ as its origin."

4. Distinction between God's rule and human rule: The Christian church is a loose international network of communities whose primary allegiance isn't to the states of which they are citizens or to some yet-to-be-created global super-state but to the one God of all people. Political pluralism and transnationalism fit well with the Christian vision of flourishing life."

5. The moral equality of all human beings: "All people have equal dignity; all have the same rights and the same moral obligations; all have fallen short of those obligations. There are no moral outsiders according to the Christian faith."

6. Freedom of religion and areligion: "The call of Jesus Christ "Come, follow me!" presumes that an individual who hears it is free to follow or not. From the earliest beginnings, it was clear that faith is either embraced freely or not at all: one believes with the heart, which is to say not by outward conformity to ambient influences or in reaction to outside dictates backed by overwhelming force but with the very core of one's being. Behind the stress on embracing faith freely lies the conviction that every person has the responsibility for the basic direction of his or her life."

The authors believe that these six principles are foundational to the Christian faith and if we embrace them we can nurture a culture of respect, live peaceably with others who differ from us, and create a space to live and dispute with other worldviews while flourishing together.

Thoughts?
I think it is because of that pluralistic setting that Christianity will flourish in the end. There can only be one truth and if Christ is that truth then existing within a pluralistic setting will only differentiate that truth from the many other alternatives. Flourishing may not necessarily mean that Christianity will gain in quantity but it can also mean it will increase in quality as it is srutinized and compared to those alternative claims about what is truth and the way to peace and happiness in life.

What Christ and Christainity represent is what all people know within as to what is right and best. The bible tells us we all know about the truth of God whether we choose to acknowledge iot or not. We all seek that truth but some will reject it and others may substitute it for good look alikes. This will divide people where some will attack Gods truth while other will accept it. I think it is still much the same today.

Primarily as the bible says love is the greatest of all qualities to have and ultimately that love is manifest in one laying down their life for another. I think that is the defining difference that can stand out in a world that claims so many truths and ways and is focused on self. There can only be one truth and that is Christ for who Christianity was built on.

In the end that is what will persist and ring true whether people want to acknowledge it or not. I think deep down we all know God is the creator and Christ is the truth and light of the world. I believe this will become more apparent as time goes by but this will only further divide people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,216.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If people are given the choice between principle and laxity they will inevitably choose the latter. Christianity can flourish, but a pluralistic setting like the western world has proved poison for the Church. Christianity has been detached from secular culture at large and so we no longer expect others to conform to the standards of Christianity. Praying before dinner, going to Church weekly, at least avoiding the appearance of public impropriety (relations outside of marriage).

If we hold to the principle that it is more important to be free than it is to be conformed to the truth then why should we expect people to bow before Christ? To willingly limit themselves in a society which constantly encourages them to go the other way? Our media institutions, educational institutions and government institutions do not encourage and inculcate faith.

No, Christianity cannot flourish in the west as it now stands and will only shrink.

• Agree
Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0