Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How can Christians and Christian communities flourish in a pluralistic setting, contributing to the common good of all within that setting, without becoming isolated and thus ineffective or becoming relativistic and thus ineffective?

This account comes from For the Life of the World:Theology That Makes a Difference by Miroslav Volf and Matthew Croasman (BrazosPress; Grand Rapids, Michigan; 2019; pp. 104-107).

"What are some key elements of a Christian account of flourishing life that allow those who embrace it to live in peace and pursue common good in pluralistic settings, and to do so not only notwithstanding its claim to be true for every human and the entire world, but also largely because of it?"

1. Trinitarian monotheism: "...God is the source not just of the unity of the world but also of all the stunning diversity in it. Since, for Christians, the one God is the Holy Trinity, God is internally differentiated. Difference is not secondary, subsequent to unity; difference is equiprimordial with unity."

2. God is Unconditional Love: "God is not a mere omnipotent force. Neither is God a mere universal lawgiver. The central attribute of God is unconditional love...God brings all creatures into being and keeps them in being...Even when humans fail to live according to the law of love, God seeks to mend the world and bring it to its intended fullness so it can become what God created it to be: our home and God's home in one."

3. Jesus Christ the Light of the World: All light and all truth, whether possessed by Christians or non-Christians, is the light of the Word and therefore Christ's light. This too is the consequence of monotheism: not just that the truth about flourishing life that Christ proclaimed is for all people, but also that in virtue of Christ all people always already possess some of that truth, that they have what Justin Martyr famously called "seeds of the Word" (First Apology). It cannot be otherwise: if the Word is the creator of everything, all genuine insights derive from God who was in Jesus Christ. All truth sought and found anywhere takes us, ultimately, to Christ as its origin."

4. Distinction between God's rule and human rule: The Christian church is a loose international network of communities whose primary allegiance isn't to the states of which they are citizens or to some yet-to-be-created global super-state but to the one God of all people. Political pluralism and transnationalism fit well with the Christian vision of flourishing life."

5. The moral equality of all human beings: "All people have equal dignity; all have the same rights and the same moral obligations; all have fallen short of those obligations. There are no moral outsiders according to the Christian faith."

6. Freedom of religion and areligion: "The call of Jesus Christ "Come, follow me!" presumes that an individual who hears it is free to follow or not. From the earliest beginnings, it was clear that faith is either embraced freely or not at all: one believes with the heart, which is to say not by outward conformity to ambient influences or in reaction to outside dictates backed by overwhelming force but with the very core of one's being. Behind the stress on embracing faith freely lies the conviction that every person has the responsibility for the basic direction of his or her life."

The authors believe that these six principles are foundational to the Christian faith and if we embrace them we can nurture a culture of respect, live peaceably with others who differ from us, and create a space to live and dispute with other worldviews while flourishing together.

Thoughts?

Aaron_Bethlhm

Nov 20, 2020
New Jerusalem (destination)
✟2,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Thoughts?

The world (carnal, fleshly, wicked, society, etc (from what all Scripture says),
cannot
and will not accept Jesus .

Jesus even said "I come not to bring peace, but a sword...."
and thus it is still so....

Oh, He Gives Unmeasurable Peace and Joy to those who are His, born again by the Will of the Father in Heaven,
but
even for us/them/ says "do not try to get away from suffering, rather embrace it"...
and
with many other instructions in His Word, (and by His Spirit),
encourages His children/disciples
and strengthens us to overcome the desires and the temptations of the world and of the flesh and of society every day.

We are still as sheep every day , being slaughtered , or abdication our faith.
(like in the country of China a century ago or so,
when millions were given a choice - die or renounce your faith in Jesus -
many died, and many renounced their faith and ended up worse) ....

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The world (carnal, fleshly, wicked, society, etc (from what all Scripture says),
cannot
and will not accept Jesus .

Jesus even said "I come not to bring peace, but a sword...."
and thus it is still so....

Oh, He Gives Unmeasurable Peace and Joy to those who are His, born again by the Will of the Father in Heaven,
but
even for us/them/ says "do not try to get away from suffering, rather embrace it"...
and
with many other instructions in His Word, (and by His Spirit),
encourages His children/disciples
and strengthens us to overcome the desires and the temptations of the world and of the flesh and of society every day.

We are still as sheep every day , being slaughtered , or abdication our faith.
(like in the country of China a century ago or so,
when millions were given a choice - die or renounce your faith in Jesus -
many died, and many renounced their faith and ended up worse) ....

So, there's just no way for us to live at peace with others, as far as we are capable, and perhaps flourish in spite of our differences?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yesterday I end up getting asked a question 'How come you always go to break earlier before everyone else', my response I been hear since 4 oclock. He said something and I responded as a smart allec' and say I am gonna sit here and eat this sandwich.

He got extremely upset with me, (oh thank you God for the spirit). He yelled at me, and told me Hey MF, you wanna get smart with me we can take it out to the streets.

This man been in out of jail a few times, is from Florida and has no family here in Alabama.

After yelling and at me and walking away, all I said was okay sir, and was able to keep calm (CAUSE I HAVE BEEN THE GUY WHO WAS YELLING ABOUT OTHERS AND THEM NOT DOING THINGS I WANTED).

After this, I went back to my job thinking about what I should do and praying to God about it.

Later on I couldnt find my keys and I asked my boss if anyone turned any in, and she said no, so I told her I was gonna go to my car and check in it, sometimes i will leave them in there.

I went outside and searched my car, and when I got out from not finding them, I turned my head to the Left and the man who yelled at me was right there.

(I had ear plugs so it was impossible to hear anything.)

I kept calm and asked him if he had seen any keys, and then I asked him.

'Are you okay?, do you need anything?, Listen I am sorry about the I responded earlier, I could have handle that situation a whole lot better than I did, I apologize'

as we are walking back into the building,

He responded back saying he regretted what he did too and he was sorry, and he would let me know if he found any keys...

(Later realized I brought a jacket and that was were the keys were.)

God in action in a persons life, reconciling, and forgiveness...

All in one night which was yesterday.

I could have reported him to the supervisor and seeing how upset he was I was a little intimitated but praying helped, and knowing how I was from experience helped..

GOd make people who are enemies your friend.

Upvote 0

Aaron_Bethlhm

Nov 20, 2020
✟2,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
So, there's just no way for us to live at peace with others, as far as we are capable, and perhaps flourish in spite of our differences?
Did I say that ?
Remember the holocaust ?
The true believers did live at peace as much as possible ,
but were still without notice subject to arrest and imprisonment and torture any day without reason.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did I say that ?
Remember the holocaust ?
The true believers did live at peace as much as possible ,
but were still without notice subject to arrest and imprisonment and torture any day without reason.

Okay, then you agree it is possible for Christians and Christian communities to flourish in a pluralistic setting, in spite of instances of horrendous evil that you have mentioned. That being the case, do you agree with the OP and the six principles given? Why or why not, specifically?

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’m chewing on your question. :)

I spent a lot of time in the company of non Christians for many years. We got along because I didn’t expect them to share my thoughts, feelings, or experiences. I respected our differences.

While I could cite my adaptability, the likely reason is individualism and free will. I’m morally opposed to strong-arming and coercion. And I loathe group think.

I don’t try to change them. That’s God’s job. I don’t have debates or shouting matches with unbelievers. I’m not shoving Him down their throat. I inspire by example.

I suspect the years of personal development played a part. Look up positive psychology and you’re describing me.

Positive psychology focuses on the positive events and influences in life, including:
  1. Positive experiences (like happiness, joy, inspiration, and love).
  2. Positive states and traits (like gratitude, resilience, and compassion).
  3. Positive institutions (applying positive principles within entire organizations and institutions).
As a field, positive psychology spends much of its time thinking about topics like character strengths, optimism, life satisfaction, happiness, well-being, gratitude, compassion (as well as self-compassion), self-esteem and self-confidence, hope, and elevation.

We see the same principles in the bible:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. —Phillipians 4:8

That’s my mindset laid bare. Is it easier to relate to someone with that disposition? I think so. I’ve studied and practiced other religions and I’m well-suited for my flock. I’m not offended by their unbelief. I chose Him and they must do the same. It can’t be forced.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1. Trinity ; People believe have no understanding, call God 3 persons, when a spirit is not a person. People believe this, can or dont, it has no effect of Salvation. There is only One God, and that is it in my case. (It's just an stupid creed once made by men.) If you argue over that in real life with someone... you are losing precious time that could be done doing something else.

• 2. God is unconditional love. It's true. I use to hate people until meeting God and (thankfully he sent a teacher) who taught me it is always about Faith, and loving your neighbor as yourself you can see what God done through me, from post #4, cause that was all God even though I used a lot of I's.

• The spirit most certainly had remined me it's about faith and love, and that always comes from God never myself.)

3. Jesus Christ is the light of the world ; People every day shine a little light regardless of what language they may use might even be foul, but it makes you laugh we are human we all fail in aspects and some people may not like that or agree with that.

We have to get over our own selfishness of how we want things and allow things as God has allowed them to be and we through experience will have a chance that light of Yeshua Christ will be shown to someone...

Love, by the spirit. Which we on our own part have a decision to make do we remember what God has taught us, or do we make demands on the way things should be.

• Distinction between mans rule, and Gods rule.
  • God's rule is first, but we also obey the laws of the land for the most part and pray for those in charge over the nation. Regardless of how you may feel sometimes that just how it is. Some things land you in Jail.

(Sorry i didnt read the persons notes really just trying to go off my own bases of understanding the titles.)

The Moral Equality of All Humans ; Just like explained above people will be people.

No one can change someone, change comes from God, the light you shine in person with them comes from God, and even when you get to mention to them or talk about God it allows a person the chance to think and consider.

• Freedom of Religion, and areligion.

• Freedom is paramount, with God. If you are mandating people and trying to Lord over them, and be in control over them.

• You aren't in a good position I think.
Thank you for the questions @public hermit

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Aaron_Bethlhm

Nov 20, 2020
✟2,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
God is the source not just of the unity of the world but also of all the stunning diversity in it.
Is this a premise in the book - i.e. something stated that is then built upon ?

From Scripture, I see the world (kosmos?) as Scripture says : it is opposed to God. God says society is death dealing, not life giving, and not obedient to Him nor accepting Him. i.e. not at all in unity with Him nor with His people even a little, rather always opposed to God, and unless He prevents it, kills His people (whether in a short time or a long time) .

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I spent a lot of time in the company of non Christians for many years. We got along because I didn’t expect them to share my thoughts, feelings, or experiences. I respected our differences.

While I could cite my adaptability, the likely reason is individualism and free will. I’m morally opposed to strong-arming and coercion. And I loathe group think.

I can't help but think being around non-Christians in a non-combative context, e.g. friendship, is helpful. I assume most Christians are around non-Christians, but maybe that's not correct? Or, maybe there is a lack of legitimate friendship with non-Christians? Would you say that individuality and free-will are fundamental to Christianity in such a way that it should lead to respecting differences and resisting the temptation to strong-arm one's convictions?

I suspect the years of personal development played a part. Look up positive psychology and you’re describing me.

Positive psychology focuses on the positive events and influences in life, including:
  1. Positive experiences (like happiness, joy, inspiration, and love).
  2. Positive states and traits (like gratitude, resilience, and compassion).
  3. Positive institutions (applying positive principles within entire organizations and institutions).
As a field, positive psychology spends much of its time thinking about topics like character strengths, optimism, life satisfaction, happiness, well-being, gratitude, compassion (as well as self-compassion), self-esteem and self-confidence, hope, and elevation.

I'm just going to come out and say, it is no surprise that you have intentionally nurtured these positive traits. It shows! :)

I wonder if sometimes we Christians focus way too much on the negative (sin, culture, politics), so that there is an unintentional neglect of those biblical characteristics. What are the things we spend are time thinking about, pace Philippians 4:8?

That’s my mindset laid bare. Is it easier to relate to someone with that disposition? I think so. I’ve studied and practiced other religions and I’m well-suited for my flock. I’m not offended by their unbelief. I chose Him and they must do the same. It can’t be forced.

I agree. Aren't we called to nurture that disposition? As always, good thoughts, Bella! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Trinity ; People believe have no understanding, call God 3 persons, when a spirit is not a person. People believe this, can or dont, it has no effect of Salvation. There is only One God, and that is it in my case. (It's just an stupid creed once made by men.) If you argue over that in real life with someone... you are losing precious time that could be done doing something else.

You have an interesting perspective on this. ;)

• 2. God is unconditional love. It's true. I use to hate people until meeting God and (thankfully he sent a teacher) who taught me it is always about Faith, and loving your neighbor as yourself you can see what God done through me, from post #4, cause that was all God even though I used a lot of I's.
  • The spirit most certainly had remined me it's about faith and love, and that always comes from God never myself.)

Good words. It is easy to complicate it, but if children can get it, hopefully I can too! :)

3. Jesus Christ is the light of the world ; People every day shine a little light regardless of what language they may use might even be foul, but it makes you laugh we are human we all fail in aspects and some people may not like that or agree with that.

We have to get over our own selfishness of how we want things and allow things as God has allowed them to be and we through experience will have a chance that light of Yeshua Christ will be shown to someone...

You make a good point, if we allow things as God has allowed them, then perhaps we can reflect the light of Christ. It is tempting to want to control others, and maybe surprising that God doesn't take a more forceful approach to changing people. We could learn a lot from God I think. ^_^

• Distinction between mans rule, and Gods rule.
  • God's rule is first, but we also obey the laws of the land for the most part and pray for those in charge over the nation. Regardless of how you may feel sometimes that just how it is. Some things land you in Jail.

This makes sense to me.

The Moral Equality of All Humans ; Just like explained above people will be people.

No one can change someone, change comes from God, the light you shine in person with them comes from God, and even when you get to mention to them or talk about God it allows a person the chance to think and consider.

• Freedom of Religion, and areligion.

• Freedom is paramount, with God. If you are mandating people and trying to Lord over them, and be in control over them.

• You aren't in a good position I think.

Again, I agree with you. I think as time goes along Christians will be around more and more people who are not, at least in our culture. My position has been as the quantity of Christians goes down, the quality goes up. As the quality goes up, people will see more and more what it really means to be a follower of Christ because the only people claiming it will be living it. We'll see.

Thank you for the questions @public hermit

You are too kind. All I did was a quote a book. But, thank you for your kindness. :)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is this a premise in the book - i.e. something stated that is then built upon ?

Yes, pretty much it is. The book critiques academic theology for either being not all that helpful in helping Christian live the everyday Christian life, or being so focused on social issues that it doesn't offer anything constructive (i.e. it's only deconstructive). And then, the authors set out to offer a more constructive, hands-on, theology for Christians living in pluralistic settings, e.g. like here is the US. Those six principles form the framework of the theology for flourishing life they are trying to offer. I am about half-way through.

From Scripture, I see the world (kosmos?) as Scripture says : it is opposed to God. God says society is death dealing, not life giving, and not obedient to Him nor accepting Him. i.e. not at all in unity with Him nor with His people even a little, rather always opposed to God, and unless He prevents it, kills His people (whether in a short time or a long time) .

I agree with you. "Kosmos" seems to be used in two different senses in the NT scriptures. One is the sense you have in mind, where the "world" is at odds with God and is a way of living that is contrary to God's will. The other use simply means "universe" or "creation." When the authors speak of flourishing life, and the life of the "world," they have in mind something synonymous with "the kingdom of God" or "the new creation." They also recognize that the "world" in the sense of "being contrary to God's will" is a reality and they are not promoting "world" in that sense. Their basic position is that God is bringing things towards the new creation and Christians are to live into that now, even if we must do it in a "world" that doesn't live according to the ways of the kingdom.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can't help but think being around non-Christians in a non-combative context, e.g. friendship, is helpful. I assume most Christians are around non-Christians, but maybe that's not correct? Or, maybe there is a lack of legitimate friendship with non-Christians? Would you say that individuality and free-will are fundamental to Christianity in such a way that it should lead to respecting differences and resisting the temptation to strong-arm one's convictions?

Some Christians treat unbelievers like projects. Their lone concern is evangelizing them. There are a million ways to love your neighbor. We overlook the obvious and focus on the juggernauts. We don't know how to influence or inspire. We talk at people. Not to them. That isn't the example Christ provided.

Religion is empowering. Those desirous of power are usually the biggest opponents of individuality and free-will. They want compliance. Love isn't oppressive or commanding. I can't make you do anything. I'd have to bend your will to do so. That's cruel.

Do you want to be violated? Most would answer no. Then why would you do it to someone else? Love your neighbor as yourself.

I'm just going to come out and say, it is no surprise that you have intentionally nurtured these positive traits. It shows! :)

You haven't seen the anti-positivity threads and comments. :D

I wonder if sometimes we Christians focus way too much on the negative (sin, culture, politics), so that there is an unintentional neglect of those biblical characteristics. What are the things we spend are time thinking about, pace Philippians 4:8?

I think the negative focus is unhealthy and morbid. It feels like sludge. I can't abide it. My concept of faith isn't drudgery or something I long to be rid of. I don't hate my life. God has given breath! I'm going to enjoy it and make the most of it.

Our outlook affects the way we see ourselves, the world, and those we encounter. Maybe I see the beauty in others because I don't dwell on ugliness. I can encourage them because I'm operating in that plane. That's my norm.

I'm not oblivious to evil or wrongs. But I champion the good and celebrate every occurrence. Bad gets the headlines and spotlight. We eat it up.

I agree. Aren't we called to nurture that disposition? As always, good thoughts, Bella! :)

We are. But makeup helps. I was never a pessimist or Debbie Downer. Someone who struggles with negative thoughts or poor esteem may have challenges. We excel in some areas and wrestle in others. I'm no different.

Thank you for the compliment. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Again, I agree with you. I think as time goes along Christians will be around more and more people who are not, at least in our culture. My position has been as the quantity of Christians goes down, the quality goes up. As the quality goes up, people will see more and more what it really means to be a follower of Christ because the only people claiming it will be living it. We'll see.

Would like to respond to this, the thing is it's hard to tell who is a Christian or who is not, the bible tells us we can tell though it comes with discerning by the spirit in us.

In this life there are probably many believers, but they may not have read the bible extensively as others.

An example was (Yesterday when my day first started) My brother talked to me about watching that Show Ancient Aliens, and I told him we should check a show out together sometime, then we some how got on politics which he told me he been paying attention for the past 4 years.

When I make statements from my view points as a believer, without expressing the bible says this or the bible says that. Simply expressing truthful points, he exclaimed to me im part of the problem.

• (He was talking about taxs and how they are gonna cut money back cause of biden being in office, (my mind remembers paying taxes to caeser and paying God was it to God )

Politics is just a game show. Later on I seen GLoria and talked to her about the above incident and told her I was glad biden got it but the president doesnt have any effect on our life truly, especially when you are focused on Jesus. She told me her expressions of her feelings and beliefs and exclaimed that I should really pray to God about getting into politics.

It's very difficult because it's hardly my interest but when it comes to people in real life, you gotta try to make it about them to some degree cause that expressing what the bible mentions in my signature.​

Life for me sometimes is suffering, while trying to be thankful and feeling sometimes alone, yet trying to make life fun with others.

( (always tears here) Suffering is what Yeshua Christ went through even with all his friends abandoning him) Life goes on ya know?

Your post here, was interesting because it's true. Pulling out sin away from the equation (Jesus paid for it my brother, for all!) Then if you stop looking at what people are doing, aside from those trying to educate, and make give you a good chuckle in this life makes life seem more bearable in my opinion, along with politics that why I mentioned it above.

I had some coffee (a bit high on that rush), and I thank you as well for the kindness God is expressing through you!

• Thank your response and time, @public hermit May all the glory go to God, we been in relationship now for 4 years, and I have a good hook on the bible in what it says and mentions for us as Christians especially with God's grace in the help of pushing a teacher on me, which in turned, basically lead me to reading the entire new testament aside from the acts of the apostles, and most of the book of revelation (got taught it some though R.).
Also in notion with @bèlla , those same psychological factors ended up showing up in my life by some people who are more educated that I, and have helped also turn my mind into a better place even though sometimes life is not so perfect and it seems difficult and overwhelming keep praying!

Human beings are awesome though! Very fascinating we are creations of God.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yesterday I end up getting asked a question 'How come you always go to break earlier before everyone else', my response I been hear since 4 oclock. He said something and I responded as a smart allec' and say I am gonna sit here and eat this sandwich.

He got extremely upset with me, (oh thank you God for the spirit). He yelled at me, and told me Hey MF, you wanna get smart with me we can take it out to the streets.

This man been in out of jail a few times, is from Florida and has no family here in Alabama.

After yelling and at me and walking away, all I said was okay sir, and was able to keep calm (CAUSE I HAVE BEEN THE GUY WHO WAS YELLING ABOUT OTHERS AND THEM NOT DOING THINGS I WANTED).

After this, I went back to my job thinking about what I should do and praying to God about it.

Later on I couldnt find my keys and I asked my boss if anyone turned any in, and she said no, so I told her I was gonna go to my car and check in it, sometimes i will leave them in there.

I went outside and searched my car, and when I got out from not finding them, I turned my head to the Left and the man who yelled at me was right there.

(I had ear plugs so it was impossible to hear anything.)

I kept calm and asked him if he had seen any keys, and then I asked him.

'Are you okay?, do you need anything?, Listen I am sorry about the I responded earlier, I could have handle that situation a whole lot better than I did, I apologize'

as we are walking back into the building,

He responded back saying he regretted what he did too and he was sorry, and he would let me know if he found any keys...

(Later realized I brought a jacket and that was were the keys were.)

God in action in a persons life, reconciling, and forgiveness...

All in one night which was yesterday.

I could have reported him to the supervisor and seeing how upset he was I was a little intimitated but praying helped, and knowing how I was from experience helped..

GOd make people who are enemies your friend.

That is a wonderful testimony. Your love and willingness to admit fault did something to that fella. I'm glad it went well. God is good. :)

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also in notion with @bèlla, those same psychological factors ended up showing up in my life by some people who are more educated that I, and have helped also turn my mind into a better place even though sometimes life is not so perfect and it seems difficult and overwhelming keep praying!

Thank you for the compliment. :)

One of the consequences of my disposition is limited exposure. I can't listen to a lot of negativity without feeling drained or weighed down. I'm a problem solver. I focus on solutions.

If you need to vent or discuss your issues I'm the wrong person. Once in a while is fine but constantly would wear me out. I'm a coach not a counselor. That's my role. The Lord restrains me to minimize overwhelm. I like helping people and seeing them prosper. But He knows what I'm taking on more than I do and He reels me in. ;)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can Christians and Christian communities flourish in a pluralistic setting, contributing to the common good of all within that setting, without becoming isolated and thus ineffective or becoming relativistic and thus ineffective?

This account comes from For the Life of the World:Theology That Makes a Difference by Miroslav Volf and Matthew Croasman (BrazosPress; Grand Rapids, Michigan; 2019; pp. 104-107).

"What are some key elements of a Christian account of flourishing life that allow those who embrace it to live in peace and pursue common good in pluralistic settings, and to do so not only notwithstanding its claim to be true for every human and the entire world, but also largely because of it?"

1. Trinitarian monotheism: "...God is the source not just of the unity of the world but also of all the stunning diversity in it. Since, for Christians, the one God is the Holy Trinity, God is internally differentiated. Difference is not secondary, subsequent to unity; difference is equiprimordial with unity."

2. God is Unconditional Love: "God is not a mere omnipotent force. Neither is God a mere universal lawgiver. The central attribute of God is unconditional love...God brings all creatures into being and keeps them in being...Even when humans fail to live according to the law of love, God seeks to mend the world and bring it to its intended fullness so it can become what God created it to be: our home and God's home in one."

3. Jesus Christ the Light of the World: All light and all truth, whether possessed by Christians or non-Christians, is the light of the Word and therefore Christ's light. This too is the consequence of monotheism: not just that the truth about flourishing life that Christ proclaimed is for all people, but also that in virtue of Christ all people always already possess some of that truth, that they have what Justin Martyr famously called "seeds of the Word" (First Apology). It cannot be otherwise: if the Word is the creator of everything, all genuine insights derive from God who was in Jesus Christ. All truth sought and found anywhere takes us, ultimately, to Christ as its origin."

4. Distinction between God's rule and human rule: The Christian church is a loose international network of communities whose primary allegiance isn't to the states of which they are citizens or to some yet-to-be-created global super-state but to the one God of all people. Political pluralism and transnationalism fit well with the Christian vision of flourishing life."

5. The moral equality of all human beings: "All people have equal dignity; all have the same rights and the same moral obligations; all have fallen short of those obligations. There are no moral outsiders according to the Christian faith."

6. Freedom of religion and areligion: "The call of Jesus Christ "Come, follow me!" presumes that an individual who hears it is free to follow or not. From the earliest beginnings, it was clear that faith is either embraced freely or not at all: one believes with the heart, which is to say not by outward conformity to ambient influences or in reaction to outside dictates backed by overwhelming force but with the very core of one's being. Behind the stress on embracing faith freely lies the conviction that every person has the responsibility for the basic direction of his or her life."

The authors believe that these six principles are foundational to the Christian faith and if we embrace them we can nurture a culture of respect, live peaceably with others who differ from us, and create a space to live and dispute with other worldviews while flourishing together.

Thoughts?
1) I don't see how Trinitarianism is helpful in relationship to living in the world peacefully with unbelievers. It is what we believe but I don't see the relevance to that particular situation.

2) Recalling that we believe in the unconditional love of God will help us to unconditionally love those that we come in contact. We aren't god so we really have an almost impossible time finding a way to love unconditionally but we can teach ourselves to, at least, not impose conditions upon being decent with other people we come in contact with.

3) In societies that consider truth to be a personal opinion that is flexible based upon emotions and preferences it is harder to find people pursuing the actual truth. If one wants to pursue a tranquil relationship with the world one ignores the falsities people tell themselves and repeat to others. If one is honestly seeking the truth one does not need to point out to others that they are doing what I just pointed out some do, but one cannot engage in reinforcing those falsities either. One speaks the truth lovingly and one can also refrain from speaking if speaking will not be helpful but instead be harmful.

4) I think you summed it up correctly with no need to add anything to it.

5) We are all self centered and fall well short of the mark. Some Christians and some non Christians do not want to believe this and especially not of their own self. Some Christians and some non Christians think they are morally superior to other people or to members of other groups of people.

6) That was well put.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1) I don't see how Trinitarianism is helpful in relationship to living in the world peacefully with unbelievers. It is what we believe but I don't see the relevance to that particular situation.

I think all the authors are trying to say is difference is inherent to the nature of God, so Christians should embrace the difference reflected in creation.

We aren't god so we really have an almost impossible time finding a way to love unconditionally but we can teach ourselves to, at least, not impose conditions upon being decent with other people we come in contact with.

That's a good way of putting it. If we can do that much, I think that goes a long way.

One speaks the truth lovingly and one can also refrain from speaking if speaking will not be helpful but instead be harmful.

Nicely put, and that would go a long way to being at peace with others as far as we are able.

the mark. Some Christians and some non Christians do not want to believe this and especially not of their own self. Some Christians and some non Christians think they are morally superior to other people or to members of other groups of people

I would say these are significant problems that work against Christians in a pluralistic setting.

Great thoughts! Thank you!

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I think focusing on such points and trying to bring all Christians into unity on these points would help influence the culture. I also think that cooperation can't be ensured by just one party, so there are no guarantees. Presumably the aim would be to put Christians in a place where they are able to dialogue effectively and live peaceably with those people who are willing to cooperate.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think focusing on such points and trying to bring all Christians into unity on these points would help influence the culture. I also think that cooperation can't be ensured by just one party, so there are no guarantees. Presumably the aim would be to put Christians in a place where they are able to dialogue effectively and live peaceably with those people who are willing to cooperate.

I think that's right. There's always a variable in the equation that is unpredictable. It's the "be at peace, as far as you are able" factor.

• Agree
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0