Delhi
✟1,898.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Genesis 1:28, God commands his faithful adherents to be fruitful and multiply, which is to say have lots of kids: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or even 10 children. Being fruitful and multiplying by having a big family is all well and good, but at what point ought the world start reproducing less frequently? The UN estimates that the world population will reach 11 billion people by 2100, and the growth of humanity won’t cease unless something catastrophic happens such as mass starvation or a disease epidemic. You can view the source here: Projections of population growth - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: Tone

Pooja Sadhu

Jul 20, 2019
Delhi
✟1,898.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Something else to add: If I were to say we’re heading for a global Dark Age due to excessive human population growth, it wouldn’t be entirely accurate. A Dark Age implies that it will only be a temporary era, and things will pass. Our planet’s dwindling natural resources combined with an oversized world population will mean doom for humanity. There will be no return to prosperity, assuming humanity survives.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, as you say the population of the world will only continue to grow unless some widespread death occurs (to be honest, I wonder if the remainder of humanity would even survive that, given how many millions and millions of bodies would be everywhere causing flies to spread diseases and such...).

Since the population will only continue growing there are going to be more and more people who will need Jesus. Rather than Christians refusing to have children, we should be the ones continuing to have children and raising godly men and women to reach these vast numbers of people and share the Gospel with them. So, I say Christians are free to have as many children as they want.

Upvote 0

Pooja Sadhu

Jul 20, 2019
Delhi
✟1,898.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was always taught those verses were meant for that time when earth had barely any humans on it. So populating was the plan. At this point it no longer applies.

Well, a lot of people don't seem to think the said scripture is irrelevant. Why else will the world population reach nearly 11 billion people in about 80 years? It's because people don't think family planning is a priority.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Large families are fine if you can afford it. If you’d have to rely on the church, government, or non-profit organizations to support your family its irresponsible and reckless. Temperance and prudence is needed.

Most people who can afford a large family rarely have more than three children. I had one and that’s enough. ;-)

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, a lot of people don't seem to think the said scripture is irrelevant. Why else will the world population reach nearly 11 billion people in about 80 years? It's because people don't think family planning is a priority.
Most of the members posting in this thread seem to come from countries which are not contributing to the problem of over-population.

Still, over-population is really serving as a scathing indictment of "humanitarian aid" programs.

• Agree
Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why else will the world population reach nearly 11 billion people in about 80 years? It's because people don't think family planning is a priority.
I disagree. People don’t have access to birth control and education about how to use it. Also, sadly, in some places women are not able to say “no” to their husbands.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
In Genesis 1:28, God commands his faithful adherents to be fruitful and multiply, which is to say have lots of kids: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or even 10 children. Being fruitful and multiplying by having a big family is all well and good, but at what point ought the world start reproducing less frequently? The UN estimates that the world population will reach 11 billion people by 2100, and the growth of humanity won’t cease unless something catastrophic happens such as mass starvation or a disease epidemic. You can view the source here: Projections of population growth - Wikipedia

Remember, this was said before the fall. I tend to believe that earth was created as a seed in order to produce life throughout the universe, so reproduction was most necessary. But, we've had a bit of a hick-up, if you will. So,I believe that Believers are very much required to be fruitful and multiply, though, the seed is the Word and we are to bear the fruit of salvation throughout all the earth.

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟454,265.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Well, it is God who makes every human being. God knows at what point it should increase/decrease/cease and accordingly He will make and send people into this world. It is His doing. He keeps the exact count and knows what He is doing. So the numbers are in His hands and He is gonna take care of the issues until His numbers are reached, and when His numbers are complete, I’m assuming that will be the end of this world. God said “fill the earth”. And this fullness we are reaching is another reason why I believe that we are nearing the end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟454,265.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Something else to add: If I were to say we’re heading for a global Dark Age due to excessive human population growth, it wouldn’t be entirely accurate. A Dark Age implies that it will only be a temporary era, and things will pass. Our planet’s dwindling natural resources combined with an oversized world population will mean doom for humanity. There will be no return to prosperity, assuming humanity survives.

Maybe these issues are needed for humanity in order to turn people to God and repent of their sins.

Upvote 0

Pooja Sadhu

Jul 20, 2019
Delhi
✟1,898.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe these issues are needed for humanity in order to turn people to God and repent of their sins.

Good insight. Where I’m from, I live in a nice condo, but just down the street there is a shantytown community where people don’t have running water or electricity. They are very poor. I presume most of them are Hindus. I bet if they repented of their sins and turned to Christ, God would uplift them from their circumstances and give them a better life. In fact, it’s written in scripture: “And God will meet all your needs according to the riches in his glory Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 4:19)

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Good insight. Where I’m from, I live in a nice condo, but just down the street there is a shantytown community where people don’t have running water or electricity. They are very poor. I presume most of them are Hindus. I bet if they repented of their sins and turned to Christ, God would uplift them from their circumstances and give them a better life. In fact, it’s written in scripture: “And God will meet all your needs according to the riches in his glory Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 4:19)

So you're saying that, if all believed, there would be enough resources for everyone, regardless of population? I tend to agree.

*Maybe that's why the heavens and the earth will be renewed soon...because there will be a massive turn to Messiah!

Reactions: GospelS
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I bet if they repented of their sins and turned to Christ, God would uplift them from their circumstances and give them a better life. In fact, it’s written in scripture: “And God will meet all your needs according to the riches in his glory Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 4:19)

You are equating their unbelief with poverty. How do you explain the resources of the wealthy who don’t believe?

It rains on the just and unjust. The poor will always be with us. Everything under the heavens belongs to God. There are many who think as you do and link prosperity with Christian belief.

God’s perception of “a better life” and ours are rarely the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pooja Sadhu

Jul 20, 2019
Delhi
✟1,898.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are equating their unbelief with poverty. How do you explain the resources of the wealthy who don’t believe?

It rains on the just and unjust. The poor will always be with us. Everything under the heavens belongs to God. There are many who think as you do. And link prosperity with Christian belief.

God’s perception of “a better life” and ours are rarely the same.

Those who become saved will receive God's help. It's written in the Philippians verse I quoted. The rich people who aren't saved became successful because they worked hard, but that fact doesn't change the fact that God will help all believers with their needs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Those who become saved will receive God's help. It's written in the Philippians verse I quoted. The rich people who aren't saved became successful because they worked hard, but that fact doesn't change the fact that God will help all believers with their needs.

Most worked hard at wickedness to get money...Now, I don't think that kind of prosperity will necessarily increase with belief. But, the substance necessary to sustain life will be there, no doubt.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

I wouldn’t use that example. You’re going to offend someone. It veers close to prosperity teachings or the notion of blaming unbelief on their poverty.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most worked hard at wickedness to get money...Now, I don't think that kind of prosperity will necessarily increase with belief. But, the substance necessary to sustain life will be there, no doubt.

I didn’t do that. Many people earn money honestly. Some people are more adept at making money than others. The majority view money differently from society and live within their means.

Upvote 0

Pooja Sadhu

Jul 20, 2019
Delhi
✟1,898.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn’t use that example. You’re going to offend someone. It veers close to prosperity teachings or the notion of blaming unbelief on their poverty.

Are you sure? The majority of Indians are not Christians, and India is very poor. And the majority of Americans are Christians, and the US is very rich. Coincidence? Probably not.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I didn’t do that. Many people earn money honestly. Some people are more adept at making money than others. The majority view money differently from society and live within their means.

Still, I believe that the economy of the Kingdom is more substantive than that stuff that burns. What I was trying to say to @Pooja Sadhu, is that I agree with her that believers will have what they need, regardless of increased population and decreased resources...He will provide.

Upvote 0