China adoption

Academy Girl

May 31, 2005
✟169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Aww! Sorry, I'm not actually adopting at the moment...I'm slightly young for that. But I've begged my parents to adopt! And I've planned to adopt internationally since I was about five years old...seriously! I had little Hispanic Cabbage Patch dolls and everything! Plus, I plan to be a social worker and hopefully work with an adoption agency! Anyway, I wish you all the best! Congratualtions! Girl or boy? How old? Got a name picked out? :)

Upvote 0

Academy Girl

May 31, 2005
✟169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought you might like this...I just wrote it today! It's about an orphan girl.

Somewhere there's a little girl who's hungry, scared, and cold...
A precious little lamb of God that no one wants to hold.

Somewhere there's a little girl whose nights are filled with tears...
A child left to live alone, surrounded by her fears.

Somewhere there's a little girl who hardly makes a sound.
Her tiny voice remains ignored by everyone around.

Somewhere there's a filthy child with matted, dirty hair...
A little dark-eyed beauty who just needs a mother's care.

Somewhere there's a priceless soul, a gift from up above,
That no one here on earth will claim to cherish and to love.

Somewhere there's a child who wants to smile, laugh, and play,
She has so much to offer in her little girlie way!

Somewhere there's a little girl who has so much to give...
She simply needs a hand to hold; she needs a place to live.

Somwhere there's a precious girl whose little face will shine,
When someday I walk up to her and take her hand in mine.

Somwhere there's a little girl who then at last will know,
That once I took her hand in mine, I never could let go.

Upvote 0

MyLittleWonders

Crunchy Mommy!
Jan 27, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟1,265.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I plan to eventually adopt from China, though we are waiting on the timing from God. We currently have two biological boys (amazing blessings! :) ) and hope to have more biological. But we also wish to adopt at least once from China, if not twice, and so will probably start the process between now and when our 3rd child comes. We have not yet started the HS paperwork or anything, but I feel we are moving closer to jumping off into this journey.

Upvote 0

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
we haven't looked into china at this stage. is there are reason you chose china - eg one child policy? Just curious cause we're at very beginning stages of researching o/s adoption. we have had 2 sons ourselves, but really want to adopt/foster kids who are in need.

Upvote 0

MyLittleWonders

Crunchy Mommy!
Jan 27, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟1,265.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
For some reason I have been drawn to China for many years. A lot of it stems from the fact that these baby girls are just laying there wanting a family ... they get abadoned at orphanages because simply, they are girls. :( And so, my heart aches and will until probably we bring one home. (I would scoop them all up in my arms if I could!)

Upvote 0

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have been looking into china lately and we are finding ourselves more and more drawn to it.

The main problem for us is $$$$ - we are not looking into adoption because we are unable to have more kids or anything, but because of the need.

Have you considered the cultural impact on adopting a child from another country? What happens when they get older and want to find their parents??? What do you teach them about their culture - cause I certainly don't have a lot of knowledge. DO you get them involved in local groups of Chinese people - cause we have about 3 families in town total so there wouldn't be any. I am really curious to know if anyone has reasearched in this area.

erin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I've got a question, that I hope doesn't offend anyone here if they are in this position...

I've noticed on the net that people who adopt overseas (particularly from China) then rename the child, even 'having a name picked out' beforehand.

My question is why? Is this advised by the chinese or american authorities?

To me it just sounds wrong, to take away their name and replace it with something "western" sounding.

Just curious.

Upvote 0

outhwaar

Jul 27, 2006
Visit site
✟749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, our social worker recommended it, though I forget exactly why.

Besides, biblically speaking, it is normal for a person to get a new name when they make a new beginning. An adopted child is quite literally taking on a new identity, and it is an important symbol of the parent-child bond for the parent to name the child.

Our social worker told us of children that would fly into a fit of rage if anyone used their "old" name. They want a new start, and a new name is a part of that.

Upvote 0

Singin4Him

Here I am Lord, send me!
Jul 31, 2004
Texas
✟20,030.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Aunt and Uncle are adopting from China but have had a very disappointing time doing so. They've been waiting on their baby for 3 years now and they have been told once again it will not be until possibly January '08.They are going through a very well known organization too, it's the one Steven Curtis Chapman supports.

From what I understand though, they are about to make it even harder to adopt internationally, even from China. They're about to change their one girl rule I believe and allow the Chinese to adopt another girl if desired. My husband and I have really considered eventually adopting from China but with all that we have seen and heard through my Aunt and Uncle's situation we may consider Korea which is easier to adopt from actually.

Upvote 0

ling04

Mar 18, 2006
Texas, baby!
✟7,865.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've had the desire to adopt from China since I was about 5 yrs old, too! I'm a little blonde-haired blue-eyed girl whose nickname is "Ling" because of my interest in their culture since I was very young. My husband is considering, but he's not 100% on board yet. You can't adopt there until you're 30, so we still have a few years.

The cultural implications have definitely had my wondering. I'm really interested to know older kids who grew up with a family that looked nothing like them. I think that we'd need to adopt more than one so there's someone to bond with on that level... So that people won't see our family together and laugh and say "I guess THAT one is adopted" and make her feel like an outsider. Just a thought. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

skoi

Oct 7, 2006
✟15,488.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We adopted from China in 2006, a nineteen month old girl who had been born with cleft lip, so she was considered to have special needs.

On the naming issue: We added an American name as her first name, which I sometimes regret, but kept her Chinese name as a middle name. When she's older, she'll know she has the option to choose which she prefers, and we'll respect that. We live in a multi-ethnic environment, and we home school, so her having a Chinese name wouldn't have been an issue. Our thinking of the time was that the orphanage director just assigned her a name, last name based on what part of the city she came from, first name two characters of her choice, so it wasn't a name her parents gave her. She was found with no note. We also thought she'd be young enough to adjust to a new name, and when we met her, she didn't answer to her Chinese name at all, or the nickname version of it. She was in foster care, and we suspect the foster parents gave her a name they chose. Unfortunately, we weren't permitted to meet or have contact with them on the orders of the orphanage director. Each orphanage/CWI has their own rules, but some encourage a meeting to help the child transition. We're currently adopting a 3 year old boy who had been born with cleft lip and palate. We're not changing his name, because he's older, has been in the custody of the orphanage his entire life, and he was found with a note so the first name might have come from his parents. Last name was assigned as per CWI custom in his province. We'll add an English name as his middle name.

On acculturation: Our first agency has a reunion every year, and there are good number of families who have adopted when China re-opened to international adoption (1994). The kids seem to have adjusted well, though some of them express quite clearly they get tired of their parents always pushing "Chinese stuff" on them. They seem like your average native born US kids.

Why we adopted from China: The state controls the process. It's fairly transparent. There are few surprises as with other countries (Kazakhstan, Russia, any former Soviet Republic, Guatemala). We attempted an adoption from Kazakhstan, and after a month in country ended up coming home without a child. It was a very bad situation, and because there is so little government oversight, you're at the hands of "independent contractors" the adoption agency hires, but won't take responsibility for. I know there has been a horrible slowdown in the China process, even in special needs programs. However, I think from my experience and research, that it's a far safer program due to the strong hand of the government. They are trying to encourage domestic adoption, however, but at the same time, they're also opening new orphanages to international adoption. I would recommend any country where the central government oversees the process closely, rather than leaving it in the hands of lawyers, facilitators, etc. India and Ehtiopia are two tightly run, government involved programs along with China. I hear Thailand is similar, but haven't looked too far into it, though our agency does work there.

I suspect after the Olympics the timeline will speed up. It seems that they might be concentrating governmental resources on getting up to speed for 2008, and other parts of the government are suffering. But I'm probably totally wrong on that, just a guess. When we started our process for our daughter, the wait to be referred a healthy infant was 6 months. Now, it's nearly 2 years.

Praying for all of your who are in the process that your child will come home soon. :crosseo:

Sorry for the wordy response.

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'll know more tonight, but in their call to me, they told me that what was holding up the process were the new Geneva Convention treaty that all agencies had to be certified with - I think the treaty was signed over the summer, and the agency we are working with is fully certified. Because of China's change in rules last May in who can adopt, they told me that if we still qualify, the wait might go down to 14 months. We'll see.

I completely agree about the government oversight. I was amazed to find out that you also get less medical information in Russia and Eastern Europe, than you do in China.

I do like the idea of an English first name and a Chinese middle name.

Upvote 0

skoi

Oct 7, 2006
✟15,488.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I completely agree about the government oversight. I was amazed to find out that you also get less medical information in Russia and Eastern Europe, than you do in China..

Our medical records from China were very good. We've also looked at files from India that included CT scan pictures, very complete. When we were in Kazakhstan one of the baby house directors told us they lie in the records because the law says they can't release healthy children for international adoption. It put me off, because how can I be sure they're telling me the truth that the child is healthy, well adjusted, etc? Also, in one city, they were leery about letting us see anything, they just wanted to tell us. They were especially leery after I told them we could fax the info to our priest to translate, since he's Russian.

We'll be praying for you.

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In the meeting I was in, the Kazakhstan adoption social worker told me that we can have an independent medical examination done by an outside doctor not affiliated with the "baby house" as part of the process, and they actually recommend it.

Thanks for the prayers, the meeting was overwhelming. We aren't completely against any of the countries - just trying to find which one is the best fit.

BTW, the treaty I was talking about is the Hague, not Geneva.

The lowdown on China was because there were an influx of people getting their dossiers done before the the new rules went into effect in May, the wait time has actually increased to 2-3 years! Once those have been processed, the wait time is going to get drastically lower because of those new rules.

Upvote 0