GA, USA
✟3,018.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not generally. I don't so much have a problem with kids doing occasional modeling. Like the Penny's catalogs kids or whatever. Fashion modeling and modeling to the extent that it's a full time career for a child is not good IMO. Pagents just bother me on a lot of levels, even if the kids want to be in them it's just not values I would want to encourage in kids.

Upvote 0

Addicted2~Jesus

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2005
Texas
✟13,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
No, I disagree wit it 100%, it shows kids in to a mature light an they aren't, overly sexualizes them, makes all the wrong thins important, puts way way to much stress on a child when there are far more important thins to be concerned bout then keepin up wit the jones er what they are lookin like etc.

That bein said, I don't mind children posin for thins like catalogs an the like, jes a part time type job, christams catalog an what not, so long as it's not some severally grown up overly sexualized ordeal.

Upvote 0

ChrisCountryGirl

It's better to give than to recieve
May 23, 2006
✟73,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. Even with catalogs, magazines, or weekly newspaper inserts, I have a problem with. MOST kids that model are "normal" weight & have no visiable physical impairments. Kids deserve to to be a child and focus on more important things in life like learning to serve God and appreciating nature

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No. Even with catalogs, magazines, or weekly newspaper inserts, I have a problem with. MOST kids that model are "normal" weight & have no visiable physical impairments. Kids deserve to to be a child and focus on more important things in life like learning to serve God and appreciating nature
I agree with you now that you mention it.. I wouldn't have thought of that before..

I ask because my husband and I have occasionally talked about seeing if our girls could get in modeling. We've been told by many people that they would be great, but I have reservations about it, that for the most part is why we haven't done anything yet with it.

I'm also wondering for those who have kids in modeling and what not.. what do you do with the money..
Do you save it for when your kids get older or do you use it for your own benefit?

Upvote 0

glamourdollxoxo

Give us this day our daily bread
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
IL
✟25,030.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No I see nothing wrong with it at all. My little sister modeled for a dance catalouge recently when she entered a model search at dance nationals (shes a competitive dancer) and we got the chance to watch the shoot being broadcasted on a tv set from the studio and it was cool seeing the whole process that goes into it with hair and costuming and placement along with the many shots they took and how they selected the ones for the catalouge. My little sister is no way sexualized at all being that she is only 8 and all of the clothing she wore was kid approved and she was wearing tights and a leo throughout the whole thing. When shes in competition she does wear makeup and hair extensions but as soon as the competition is over the makeup comes off and she's still the same lovable little 8 year old who I'm proud to call my baby sister. Dance is something that she loves to do and was pretty much dancing before she could walk and my mom doesn't push her in any way in fact she took up dancing when I did it for a year and wanted to try a hip hop class and since then was hooked and loves it.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My oldest daughter did some work when she was a toddler but I hated it and we stopped quickly. She was with a legitimate agency but we didn't appreciate the message.. they were constantly making her up to be a specific ethnic group, after a few comments of "Oh she's too ethnic" and "we can probably pass her off as Italian don't you think?" we got out. We also didn't like that they handed out advice like putting tape on shoe bottoms so you can return them to the store after a shoot or leaving tags on clothes for the same reason.

The money went into an account for her. Parents are allowed to control a fairly substantial sum for expenses and management but if we had kept it up I probably would have continued to put all hers in her own bank account.

If you do decide to pursue it you have to be very careful, modeling shouldn't cost you anything but the expense of going back and forth to calls and some photos. (And the photos shouldn't cost a fortune) A lot of so called agencies are terrible, also you HAVE to know when doing print work exactly who is commissioning the work. A lot of children's work created via modeling competitions etc.. are pretty much just a precursor to child inappropriate content, with pages set up purely for the personal enjoyment of pedophiles.

I would never let them do pageants I think pageants are repulsive.

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
wonderingone said:
If you do decide to pursue it you have to be very careful, modeling shouldn't cost you anything but the expense of going back and forth to calls and some photos. (And the photos shouldn't cost a fortune) A lot of so called agencies are terrible, also you HAVE to know when doing print work exactly who is commissioning the work. A lot of children's work created via modeling competitions etc.. are pretty much just a precursor to child inappropriate content, with pages set up purely for the personal enjoyment of pedophiles.

I would never let them do pageants I think pageants are repulsive.
How did you find a good agency.. Or what do you have to look for? I've heard that there are alot of rip off places out there, so obviously that would be the last thing we'd want to run in too..
AND... I agree with the pagents... I think it's kinda sad to see kids all made up like that, but I guess that could happen in modeling too.

Upvote 0

clycleader

Sep 18, 2006
Midwest
✟8,906.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For my child, absolutely NOT!! Like the above posts mentioned, I think kids grow up fast enough and wearing skimpy clothes on girls or even competing in swim suit contests in pagents is just too grown up and sexualized. I think that adults even look silly walking around in a swim suit. How about an IQ test? Something with substance. It shows how society thinks looks are sooo important. UGH.
I also think that it's for the parents as much or more so than the child. Look at some of the pagent moms who have been in trouble for pushing thier kids into doing more and more and going broke spending money on costumes and junk. It makes me sick. It's almost like the parent is living through the child.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it depends on the attitudes of both parent and child.

I do not believe that parents should "sell" their child purely for profits and money. So if it's the parents idea to get some extra cash...sell their child's beautiful face...I don't agree with it.

But if it's something that the child truly enjoys, I see no problem. I think that parents should stand behind their children and the child's interest and desires...support their dreams. So if the child truly enjoys it and truly feels that such a life is their "calling", then I see nothing wrong with parents supporting that in a responsible manner that keeps the child's welfare as a top priority.

As for pageants, in theory, I'm not a fan. BUT, stereotypes aside, I know lots of little girls who absolutely LOVE participating in pageants. My best friend's 4 year old daughter has been competing for a few years and she loves it. She loves dressing up, she loves make-up (although the pageant rules only allow minimal makeup for a natural look) and she loves being on stage. She doesn't always win, but she still loves it and she's never disappointed. Her brothers play baseball...she does pageants. It's just her thing. And her parents support the interests of all their children. They also make sure that the pageant is one that wants little girls that look, dress, and act like LITTLE GIRLS, not mini-women. Sexy outfits, talent, and make-up are not allowed. I think, done in that manner, it's not harmful at all.

So, I think it all depends on the attitudes of the child and the parents involved. It's the attitudes and the focus that determines whether it's a beneficial, healthy thing for the child or not.

Reactions: allieisme
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

glamourdollxoxo

Give us this day our daily bread
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
IL
✟25,030.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
How did you find a good agency.. Or what do you have to look for? I've heard that there are alot of rip off places out there, so obviously that would be the last thing we'd want to run in too..
AND... I agree with the pagents... I think it's kinda sad to see kids all made up like that, but I guess that could happen in modeling too.
To find a good agency you always run a check with the better business burea at www.bbb.com A key thing to remember is that NO legitamit agency requires upfront fees or money so if they ask for any upfront fees get out of there as fast as you can. Also modeling school is another big rip off and scam so stay away from "modeling schools" such as Barbizon and John Rober powers, and do research for before signing any contract. My little sister was about to sign with agency last fall and how we did this was by looking up agencies on the net and sending in her photo by contacting them and if they were interested in representing her they would contact us to come in for a meeting. Agencies like good clear natural photos such as school pictures. Some good reputable agencies I know of if your located near the midwest are Arlene wilson www.arelenewilson.com and lily's talent agency www.lilystalent.com
I wish you and your daughters the best of luck in modeling or whatever career they chose.

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HeatherJay said:
I do not believe that parents should "sell" their child purely for profits and money. So if it's the parents idea to get some extra cash...sell their child's beautiful face...I don't agree with it.
I absolutely agree

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To find a good agency you always run a check with the better business burea at www.bbb.com A key thing to remember is that NO legitamit agency requires upfront fees or money so if they ask for any upfront fees get out of there as fast as you can. Also modeling school is another big rip off and scam so stay away from "modeling schools" such as Barbizon and John Rober powers, and do research for before signing any contract. My little sister was about to sign with agency last fall and how we did this was by looking up agencies on the net and sending in her photo by contacting them and if they were interested in representing her they would contact us to come in for a meeting. Agencies like good clear natural photos such as school pictures. Some good reputable agencies I know of if your located near the midwest are Arlene wilson www.arelenewilson.com and lily's talent agency www.lilystalent.com
I wish you and your daughters the best of luck in modeling or whatever career they chose.
Thank you for the info...
I dont know what we are going to do though.. They all 3 are still fairly young, so it would be a toss if they liked it or not really.
Our oldest is 8, so I dont even know if she'd even be interested.. Like I said before, we've just been told by several people that they would be great at it.
It is very nice to get different opinions on this topic. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is not for my children.
I don't want to constantly have to unteach what they are hearing about beauty through auditions and the like. My children will learn that what is beautiful is who they are, not what they look like and I can't trust those in the modeling and pagaent world to do that.

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is not for my children.
I don't want to constantly have to unteach what they are hearing about beauty through auditions and the like. My children will learn that what is beautiful is who they are, not what they look like and I can't trust those in the modeling and pagaent world to do that.
You raised a very good point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleThunder

Jan 23, 2007
✟7,801.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My friends daughter did some modeling for a big name clothing store.
They emailed her pic (b/c ppl kept telling them how adorable she was) to a few agencies and one called w/in 1/2 hour of receiving it.
They received a call usually 1 week before a photo shoot telling them what type of photo shoot it would be (spring collection, jeans, etc) and asked if they were interested. If they were, they were told where to go.
They saved the money she got from this and it's in a college fund for her. She only did it for about 1 year.
I've seen some catalogs (Nordstroms - I think) use a child in a wheelchair and another (can't remember which) used a child/baby with Down Syndrome.
I would let my children do photo shoots for catalogs (Gap, Nordstrom, macy's etc) but that's about it...

Upvote 0