Los Angeles Area
✟830,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Melvin Brown, a medical doctor and member of the Medical University of South Carolina Board of Trustees, was put forth as a candidate late last year, prompting months of disagreement and conflict that culminated on Oct. 1, when Brown was rejected by the club’s blackball system — which requires only six of its 800 members to scuttle a vote.

Despite meeting the club’s stated criteria for membership and receiving the required sponsorship, his bid for membership was rejected, even as 13 white candidates were admitted at the same meeting.
“As long as anybody I know can remember, until a year ago, no one who stood for a vote was denied membership,” Ledlie said, echoing Dew who also could not recall any rejections.
After he submitted his application, the club placed a moratorium on new members. A few members quit.

“I remember thinking, ‘Oh my, what have I done? Well, I can’t back out now.’”

On the plus side, it really does take only a tiny unpleasant minority of members to keep a person out, so we can hope the club changes its rules, as it seems many members want to do just that.

On the minus side, why do I have to keep checking the century on my calendar?

In related news...

Charleston restaurant changes name temporarily to honor doctor blackballed by Rifle Club

Harold’s Cabin, the popular eatery near Hampton Park, might develop a new cocktail named for a beloved regular, Melvin Brown — something involving rum since Brown, an emergency room doctor, is a Navy veteran.

In the meantime, the restaurant changed its name. For a few days only, it was called Mel’s Cabin.

A temporary sign, which was to come down Monday evening, covered the word “Harold’s” and included the phrase “Where all are welcome.”

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Freedom of association has a dark side to it.

Still, wouldn't it be funny if somebody opened a competing rifle club across the street open to everybody which offers discounted memberships to applicants seen making a gesture at the club that rejected the Navy vet?

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Melvin Brown, a medical doctor and member of the Medical University of South Carolina Board of Trustees, was put forth as a candidate late last year, prompting months of disagreement and conflict that culminated on Oct. 1, when Brown was rejected by the club’s blackball system — which requires only six of its 800 members to scuttle a vote.

Despite meeting the club’s stated criteria for membership and receiving the required sponsorship, his bid for membership was rejected, even as 13 white candidates were admitted at the same meeting.
“As long as anybody I know can remember, until a year ago, no one who stood for a vote was denied membership,” Ledlie said, echoing Dew who also could not recall any rejections.
After he submitted his application, the club placed a moratorium on new members. A few members quit.

“I remember thinking, ‘Oh my, what have I done? Well, I can’t back out now.’”

On the plus side, it really does take only a tiny unpleasant minority of members to keep a person out, so we can hope the club changes its rules, as it seems many members want to do just that.

On the minus side, why do I have to keep checking the century on my calendar?

In related news...

Charleston restaurant changes name temporarily to honor doctor blackballed by Rifle Club

Harold’s Cabin, the popular eatery near Hampton Park, might develop a new cocktail named for a beloved regular, Melvin Brown — something involving rum since Brown, an emergency room doctor, is a Navy veteran.

In the meantime, the restaurant changed its name. For a few days only, it was called Mel’s Cabin.

A temporary sign, which was to come down Monday evening, covered the word “Harold’s” and included the phrase “Where all are welcome.”
No matter how many times I read stories like this one, I'm still flabbergasted that this kind of racism continues.

Upvote 0