Charles Ryrie and Dispensational Confusion

vocalyocal

Dec 23, 2012
✟833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would certainly hope (as someone who believes in that the church begins at Pentecost) that God is in charge of the dispensations. I would imagine for all his activity and stewardship, that Paul would regard himself as under the authority of Christ, rather than the church being under the authority of Paul.

But, one thing I was wondering about. Where exactly does it say that the "mystery" was first given to Paul? I know there are passages (you have quoted a few of them) where Paul says that it was given to him. But where does it say that it was given either first or exclusively to him?

didnt the church begin with the thief on the cross?

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dispensation can be viewed as chapters in history such as:
Creation > Fall of Man;
Sinful Man > Flood
Post Flood > Abram;
Abraham > Christ;
The Church Age > the Great Tribulation Period;
The Millennium;
The New Jerusalem.

It's apparent that the world went through some changes/ stages that were distinctive don't you think? God's agenda/order was exclusive to each stage, when that stage was finished, He moved on to the next. Some conditions may have been common throughout but certainly he delt out stages like an architect would build a house, accomplishing His overall purpose.
You can roll it up in one big ball of twine but it's easier to look at it in stages -dispensations if you will! ???

Upvote 0

damascusroad

2 Tim 2:15-16
Jan 6, 2013
✟7,791.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
didnt the church begin with the thief on the cross?

The Christian church, rather that a Jewish Assembly?

No, the Christian church did not begin with the thief on the Cross. The Christian church began after Saul encountered Jesus on the road to Damascus, Acts 9. See as well Acts 10, Acts 13. Paul's letters (or epistles) were written to the Christian church then and now.

And it didn't begin at Pentecost. Those Jews there (Gentiles didn't have a clue) received the Holy Spirit based upon their return to the Covenant through acceptance of Jesus as the Promised Jewish Messiah. "Repentance" in the Jewish sense of that word clearly means "return."

:clap:

Upvote 0