Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is possible since the bible in one passage can be interpreted as describing prophets as higher than pastors in the pecking order, (where only apostles are higher) prophets have been avoiding being responsible to anyone since the movement began.

At least that's the sense I get from the application currently, as it is.

And I see that as the precise reason as to why the movement is stagnant and where it is today, a lack of understanding of biblical authority and leadership.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is possible since the bible in one passage can be interpreted as describing prophets as higher than pastors in the pecking order, (where only apostles are higher) prophets have been avoiding being responsible to anyone since the movement began.

At least that's the sense I get from the application currently, as it is.

There is no pecking order in Christ - there is only one head and the rest are parts of the Body.

Apostle are 'first' because they are the ones who plant the churches. They go into area's preach the Gospel with signs following and plant the local church. Some continue as spiritual 'father' like Paul - they answered questions and gave direction when asked. Not part of the day to day operation of the church, that is the Pastor's role.

Apostolos - a delegate; specially, an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ ("apostle") (with miraculous powers):—apostle, messenger, he that is sent.​

Modern day apostles are missionaries and church planters - they are not 'above' any other gift to the body. They serve a function within the Body, but they are no mote important to the five fold ministry gifts than any other.

IMHO - if you are not a church planter - if you don't have the miraculous - ya'll ain't no apostle.

I don't see prophets refusing to be under a church's guidance as much as churches not accepting spiritual gifts

That is a valid observation. However we need both to be effective.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So what's a prophet to do when their church doesn't accept spiritual gifts.

Know one church's order was all those with prophetic words gave them to an associate pastor who presented them to the congregation. They're a large congregation with about 60 folks who the Lord uses.in this area.

Also, know a very small congregation about 20 with 2 generally used in the prophetic.

God still manifest His gifts.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what's a prophet to do when their church doesn't accept spiritual gifts.

Know one church's order was all those with prophetic words gave them to an associate pastor who presented them to the congregation. They're a large congregation with about 60 folks who the Lord uses.in this area.

Also, know a very small congregation about 20 with 2 generally used in the prophetic.

God still manifest His gifts.

If one is a continuist, why would they want to operate in the prophetic in a cessationist church to begin with?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There is no pecking order in Christ - there is only one head and the rest are parts of the Body.

Apostle are 'first' because they are the ones who plant the churches. They go into area's preach the Gospel with signs following and plant the local church. Some continue as spiritual 'father' like Paul - they answered questions and gave direction when asked. Not part of the day to day operation of the church, that is the Pastor's role.

Apostolos - a delegate; specially, an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ ("apostle") (with miraculous powers):—apostle, messenger, he that is sent.​

Modern day apostles are missionaries and church planters - they are not 'above' any other gift to the body. They serve a function within the Body, but they are no mote important to the five fold ministry gifts than any other.

IMHO - if you are not a church planter - if you don't have the miraculous - ya'll ain't no apostle.

This isn't a fault of the way Jesus taught, but how human brains bring in their ideas of hierarchy and read it into the bible. This young prophets would be no exception.

This is an observation as to the root of the problem. Constructive criticism is not a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And I see that as the precise reason as to why the movement is stagnant and where it is today, a lack of understanding of biblical authority and leadership.
Thank you for your reply, Blessings.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2 Peter 1:19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they weremoved by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
2 Peter 1:19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they weremoved by the Holy Spirit.
So, if I watch a youtube of a self proclaimed prophet but they come off as Egotistical - then they're not a prophet.

The above quoted scripture described holy men, this is a high standard. Not just righteous men (i.e. by faith).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a simple man who likes simple rules ...

Deuteronomy 18:17-22 [NKJV]
"And the LORD said to me: 'What they have spoken is good. I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him. But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.'"​

"And if you say in your heart, 'How shall we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?'-- when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him."
Pentecostal Churches need a pile of cobbles (fist sized rocks) on the raised platform at the front of the church, so a "prophet" can see it and be certain in their mind that God said it, before opening their mouth and saying "Thus says the LORD ..." While we are not under the Old Covenant any longer, uttering a false prophecy should be serious enough that the person is "dead as a prophet" and should not be allowed to speak falsely again.

If I ever believed that God had given me a prophetic word ... (not my gift or passion) ... that is the standard that I would hold myself to.

Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. - 1 Corinthians 14:29 [NKJV]

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, if I watch a youtube of a self proclaimed prophet but they come off as Egotistical - then they're not a prophet.

If you are watching YouTube for spiritual guidance, you have greater issues than someone coming off as egotistical.

I didn’t write the scriptures. I only quoted them.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If you are watching YouTube for spiritual guidance, you have greater issues than someone coming off as egotistical.

I didn’t write the scriptures. I only quoted them.
Interesting misdirection, but the standard scripture establishes (from the passage that you provided) is that prophets of the biblical variety are holy. Prideful and egotistical types need not pretend.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting misdirection, but the standard scripture establishes (from the passage that you provided) is that prophets of the biblical variety are holy. Prideful and egotistical types need not pretend.

I am not the one who brought up YouTube prophets.

The biblical standard for Holiness is for the entire Body, not just ministers.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am not the one who brought up YouTube prophets.

The biblical standard for Holiness is for the entire Body, not just ministers.
If this is how you read my posts, I can only guess how you read the scriptures. I get the impression that you're missing my point on purpose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If this is how you read my posts, I can only guess how you read the scriptures. I get the impression that you're missing my point on purpose.

I addressed no one, just posted a scripture verse My apologies if I offended you by it.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I addressed no one, just posted a scripture verse My apologies if I offended you by it.
I think this exchange we had may be good for examination by other members of the worldwide church. Misunderstandings like this are common and divisions continue to increase.

God bless.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think this exchange we had may be good for examination by other members of the worldwide church. Misunderstandings like this are common and divisions continue to increase.

God bless.

I do not have a clue as to what you are referring to. I posted scripture. If you have an issue, it is with the author, not me.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I do not have a clue as to what you are referring to. I posted scripture. If you have an issue, it is with the author, not me.
You posted scripture with content about the quality of prophets in a thread about prophecy.

I commented on the scripture's relevance to the thread.

Each successive response appeared to avoid discussing that part of the verse.

I have no problem with the posted scripture, thank you for posting it.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My experience with 'prophecies & prophets' started..30+ years ago.
----
Many people claim that they are prophets.. nowadays.
- Having the gift of prophecy does not mean...you are a prophet.
---
One fellow (on another Christian Forum) said...some time ago.
- "I just found out...I have the gift of prophecy."
" I am a prophet now!"
- Then he started..giving prophecies on his post.
----
I am very disappointed..
- What has been going on..in recent years.
People giving flawed/inaccurate prophecies..concerning
politics/political arena.
---
'Charismatics issue prophetic standard..'
- lt seems that they had to give/issue some statement.
Not sure..how much it is 'genuine.'
---
I have not seen this level of errors/flaws before..by many people..about politics.
My perspective is..they were lured into/focusing on..getting 'political power'.
----
I am saying this..
- From my experience & observation..for many years.
---
* Spiritual gifts ( including the gift of prophecy..) are for today...(continuing)
-My stance/position.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0