Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I would also like to add my Happy Chanukah and just say that the season is a reminder of the importance of freedom of religion since the Greeks oppressed the Jewish religion and sought to outlaw it ... The Maccabees and the people liberated the land and restored the worship in the Temple.

- Art

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would also like to add my Happy Chanukah and just say that the season is a reminder of the importance of freedom of religion since the Greeks oppressed the Jewish religion and sought to outlaw it ... The Maccabees and the people liberated the land and restored the worship in the Temple.

- Art
Hi Art. I have never heard of Maccabees until I heard Christians refer to it as being part of the prophecy of Daniel and the 70 weeks.
I have yet to see a connection with it though. Guess one day I will have to read it. :wave:

http://www.awitness.org/lostmess/daniel.html

In chapter 7 of the book, as in chapters 10 and 11, history is described up to the time of Maccabees. History is fine in Daniel until you reach the time of 2nd century, when suddenly the prophecies fall to pieces and become false (which is a pretty good indication of when the book was written).

While the book is accurate up to 167 what follows is false prophecy, or perhaps you could say it was what they wished would happen (one could always expect the archangel Michael to get angrier and angrier about that disgusting abomination of desolation in the temple, not to mention all Antiochus other bullying conduct and so cause the end of the world to begin, which tells you just how disgusted those people were with the whole affair.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alabaster jar

Vessel of Faith, Hope, and Love
Mar 15, 2005
upstairs
✟19,593.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Happy Chanukah! My oldest dd is studying this in school and today she had to bring in a poem about the Star of David. (she also has two Jewish cousins and a friend at school who is half, if you can call it that, Jewish):)

Upvote 0

izarya

Theurgist Extraordinaire
Sep 14, 2005
Oregon
Visit site
✟2,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi Art. I have never heard of Maccabees until I heard Christians refer to it as being part of the prophecy of Daniel and the 70 weeks.
I have yet to see a connection with it though. Guess one day I will have to read it. :wave:
Here is a link to the book of 1 Macabees.
Happy Chanukah to all.
Shalom!

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

http://www.awitness.org/lostmess/daniel.html

In chapter 7 of the book, as in chapters 10 and 11, history is described up to the time of Maccabees. History is fine in Daniel until you reach the time of 2nd century, when suddenly the prophecies fall to pieces and become false (which is a pretty good indication of when the book was written).
Here is a link to the book of 1 Macabees.
Happy Chanukah to all.
Shalom!
Wow!!! So the Jews have lost their temple 3 times? :eek: That is pretty sad.

Again, Happy Chanukah to all and Shalom. :wave:
1 Maccabees, chapter 1

54: Now on the fifteenth day of Chislev, in the one hundred and forty-fifth year, they erected a desolating sacrilege upon the altar of burnt offering. They also built altars in the surrounding cities of Judah,
55: and burned incense at the doors of the houses and in the streets.
56: The books of the law which they found they tore to pieces and burned with fire.
57: Where the book of the covenant was found in the possession of any one, or if any one adhered to the law, the decree of the king condemned him to death.
58: They kept using violence against Israel, against those found month after month in the cities.
59: And on the twenty-fifth day of the month they offered sacrifice on the altar which was upon the altar of burnt offering.
60: According to the decree, they put to death the women who had their children circumcised,
61: and their families and those who circumcised them; and they hung the infants from their mothers' necks.
62: But many in Israel stood firm and were resolved in their hearts not to eat unclean food.
63: They chose to die rather than to be defiled by food or to profane the holy covenant; and they did die.
64: And very great wrath came upon Israel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums