Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I was just thinking that some here might be interested in counting the Omer or counting the days to Pentecost [Shavuot]

Tonight, the evening of Tuesday, April 21, will be day 13, day of the Omer.
Feast of Weeks

Leviticus 23:
15 " 'From the day after the Sabbath, the day you brought the sheaf of the wave offering, count off seven full weeks. 16 Count off fifty days up to the day after the seventh Sabbath, and then present an offering of new grain to the LORD. 17 From wherever you live, bring two loaves made of two-tenths of an ephah of fine flour, baked with yeast, as a wave offering of firstfruits to the LORD. 18 Present with this bread seven male lambs, each a year old and without defect, one young bull and two rams. They will be a burnt offering to the LORD, together with their grain offerings and drink offerings—an offering made by fire, an aroma pleasing to the LORD. 19 Then sacrifice one male goat for a sin offering and two lambs, each a year old, for a fellowship offering. [
c] 20 The priest is to wave the two lambs before the LORD as a wave offering, together with the bread of the firstfruits. They are a sacred offering to the LORD for the priest. 21 On that same day you are to proclaim a sacred assembly and do no regular work. This is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live.
22 " 'When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God.' "

Numbers 28:26 " 'On the day of firstfruits, when you present to the LORD an offering of new grain during the Feast of Weeks, hold a sacred assembly and do no regular work.

Romans 11:16If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches.
---------
How to count the Omer

Before counting, say the following blessing:

Baruch ata Adonoy, Eloheinu melech ha-olam, asher kid'shanu be'mitzvo'sav ve-tzivanu al sefiras ha'omer.

Blessed are You, God, King of the Universe, Who made us holy with His commandments, and commanded us on the counting of the Omer.

After the blessing, recite the appropriate day of the count.

Today is day __ of the Omer.

Reactions: cyberlizard

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Today is day thirteen of the Omer.
Day 13 -- Bonding in Discipline 1 Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud

For discipline to be effective it must be coupled with commitment and bonding. Both in disciplining yourself and others there has to be a sense that the discipline is important for developing a stronger bond. Not that I discipline you, but that we are doing it together for our mutual benefit.

Exercise for the day: Demonstrate to your child or student how discipline is an expression of intensifying your bond and commitment to each other.

Today is day fourteen of the Omer.
Day 14 -- Nobility of Discipline
2 Timothy 1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

Discipline, like love, must enhance personal dignity. Discipline that breaks a person will backfire. Healthy discipline should bolster self-esteem and help elicit the best in a person; cultivating his sovereignty. Does my discipline cripple the human spirit; does it weaken or strengthen me and others?

Exercise for the day: When disciplining your child or student, foster his self-respect.

Today is day fifteen of the Omer.
Day 15 -- Loving-kindness in Compassion
1 John 3:17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?

Examine the love aspect of compassion. Ask yourself: Is my compassion tender and loving or does it come across as pity? Is my sympathy condescending and patronizing? Even if my intention is otherwise, do others perceive it as such? Does my compassion overflow with love and warmth; is it expressed with enthusiasm, or is it static and lifeless?

Exercise for the day: When helping someone extend yourself in the fullest way; offer a smile or a loving gesture.

Today is day sixteen of the Omer.
Day 16 -- Discipline in Compassion
Galatians 5:14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

For compassion to be effective and healthy it needs to be disciplined and focused. It requires discretion both to whom you express compassion, and in the measure of the compassion itself. It is recognizing when compassion should be expressed and when it should be withheld or limited. Discipline in compassion is knowing that being truly compassionate sometimes requires withholding compassion. Because compassion is not an expression of the bestower's needs but a response to the recipient's needs.

Exercise for the day: Express your compassion in a focused and constructive manner by addressing someone's specific needs.

Today is day seventeen of the Omer.
Day 17 -- Compassion in Compassion
Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

True compassion is limitless. It is not an extension of your needs and defined by your limited perspective. Compassion for another is achieved by having a selfless attitude, rising above yourself and placing yourself in the other person's situation and experience. Am I prepared and able to do that? If not, why? Do I express and actualize the compassion and empathy in my heart? What blocks me from expressing it? Is my compassion compassionate or self-serving? Is it compassion that comes out of guilt rather than genuine empathy? How does that affect and distort my compassion? Test yourself by seeing if you express compassion even when you don't feel guilty.

Exercise for the day: Express your compassion in a new way that goes beyond your previous limitations: express it towards someone to whom you have been callous.

Today is day eighteen of the Omer.
Day 18 -- Endurance in Compassion
Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Is my compassion enduring and consistent? Is it reliable? or Does it prevail among other forces in my life? Do I have the capacity to be compassionate even when I'm busy with other activities or only when it's comfortable for me? Am I ready to stand up and fight for another?

Exercise for the day: In the middle of your busy day take a moment and call someone who needs a compassionate word. Defend someone who is in need of sympathy even if it's not a popular position.

Today is day nineteen of the Omer.
Day 19 -- Humility in Compassion
Matthew 6:12 and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us.

If compassion is not to be condescending, it must include humility. Recognizing that my ability to be compassionate and giving does not make me better than the recipient; it is the acknowledgment and appreciation that by creating one who needs compassion God gave me the gift of being able to bestow compassion. Thus there is no place for haughtiness in compassion.
Do I feel superior because I am compassionate? Do I look down at those that need my compassion? Am I humble and thankful to God for giving me the ability to have compassion for others?

Exercise for the day: Express compassion in an anonymous fashion, not taking any personal credit.

Today is day twenty of the Omer.
Day 20 -- Bonding in Compassion
Matthew 25:45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

For compassion to be fully realized, it needs bonding. It requires creating a channel between giver and receiver; a mutuality that extends beyond the moment of need. A bond that continues to live on. That is the most gratifying result of true compassion. Do you bond with the one you have compassion for, or do you remain apart? Does your interaction achieve anything beyond a single act of sympathy?

Exercise for the day: Ensure that something eternal is built as a result of your compassion.

Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Today is day twenty-one of the Omer.
Day 21 -- Nobility in Compassion
James 2: 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?

Examine the dignity of your compassion. For compassion to be complete it must recognize and appreciate individual sovereignty. It should boost self-esteem and cultivate human dignity. Both your own dignity and the dignity of the one benefiting from your compassion.
Is my compassion expressed in a dignified manner? Does it elicit dignity in others? Do I recognize the fact that when I experience compassion as dignified it will reflect reciprocally in the one who receives compassion?

Exercise for the day: Rather than just giving charity, help the needy help themselves in a fashion that strengthens their dignity.

Today is day twenty-two of the Omer
Day 22 -- Loving-kindness in Endurance
Psalm 141:5Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness; let him rebuke me—it is oil on my head. My head will not refuse it. Yet my prayer is ever against the deeds of evildoers;

For anything to endure it needs to be loved. A neutral or indifferent attitude will reflect in a marginal commitment. If you have difficulty making commitments, examine how much you love and enjoy the object that requires your commitment. Do I love my work? My family? My choices? For endurance to be effective it needs to be caring and loving. Does my endurance cause me to be, or seem to be, inflexible? Does my drive and determination cause me to be controlling? Am I too demanding? Do others cooperate with me out of the sheer force of my will and drive, or out of love?

Exercise for the day: When fighting for something you believe in, pause a moment to ensure that it is accomplished in a loving manner.

Today is day twenty-three of the Omer
Day 23 -- Discipline in Endurance
Romans 12:9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

Examine the discipline of your endurance. Endurance must be directed toward productive goals and expressed in a constructive manner. Is my endurance and determination focused to help cultivate good habits and break bad ones? Or is it the other way around? Does my endurance come from strength or weakness? Does it come out of deep conviction or out of defensiveness? Do I use my endurance against itself by being tenacious in my lack of determination?

Exercise for the day: Break one bad habit today.

Today is day twenty-four of the Omer
Day 24 -- Compassion in Endurance
1 Peter 3:10 For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.

Healthy endurance, directed to develop good qualities and modifying bad ones, will always be compassionate. The compassion of endurance reflects a most beautiful quality of endurance: an enduring commitment to help another grow. Endurance without compassion is misguided and selfish. Endurance needs to be not just loving to those who deserve love, but also compassionate to the less fortunate. Does my determination compromise my compassion for others? Am I able to rise above my ego and empathize with my competitors? Am I gracious in victory?

Exercise for the day: Be patient and listen to someone who usually makes you impatient.

Today is day twenty-five of the Omer
Day 25-- Endurance in Endurance
Psalm 25:7 Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O LORD.

Everyone has willpower and determination. We have the capacity to endure much more than we can imagine, and to prevail under the most trying of circumstances.
Ask yourself: Is my behavior erratic? Am I inconsistent and unreliable? Since I have will and determination, why am I so afraid of accessing my endurance and committing? Do I fear being trapped by my commitment? If yes, why? Is it a reaction to some past trauma? Instead of cultivating endurance in healthy areas, have I developed a capacity for endurance of unhealthy experiences? Do I endure more pain than pleasure? Do I underestimate my capacity to endure?

Exercise for the day: Commit yourself to developing a new good habit.

Today is day twenty-six of the Omer
Day 26 -- Humility in Endurance
Romans 5:8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Yielding -- which is a result of humility -- is an essential element of enduring. Standing fast can sometimes be a formula for destruction. The oak, lacking the ability to bend in the hurricane, is uprooted. The reed, which yields to the wind, survives without a problem. Do I know when to yield, out of strength not fear? Why am I often afraid to yield?
Do I attribute my success solely to my own strength and determination? Am I convinced that I am all-powerful due to my level of endurance? Where do I get the strength at times when everything seems so bleak?

Exercise for the day: When you awake, acknowledge God for giving you a soul with the extraordinary power and versatility to endure despite trying challenges. This will allow you to draw energy and strength for the entire day.

Today is day twenty-seven of the Omer
Day 27 -- Bonding in Endurance
Matthew 5:37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Bonding is an essential quality of endurance. It expresses your unwavering commitment to the person or experience you are bonding with, a commitment so powerful that you will endure all to preserve it. Endurance without bonding will not endure.

Exercise for the day: To ensure the endurance of your new resolution, bond with it immediately. This can be assured by promptly actualizing your resolution in some constructive deed or committing yourself to another.

Today is day twenty-eight of the Omer
Day 28 -- Nobility in Endurance
1 Corinthians 15:58Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

Sovereignty is the cornerstone of endurance. Is my endurance dignified? Does it bring out the best in me? When faced with hardships do I behave like a king or queen, walking proudly with my head up, confident in my God-given strengths, or do I cower and shrivel up in fear?

Exercise for the day: Fight for a dignified cause.

Today is day twenty-nine of the Omer
Day 29 -- Loving-kindness in Humility
Matthew 6:2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.

Examine the love in your humility. Healthy humility is not demoralizing; it brings love and joy not fear. Humility that lacks love has to be reexamined for its authenticity. Sometimes humility can be confused with low self-esteem, which would cause it to be unloving. Humility brings love because it gives you the ability to rise above yourself and love another. Does my humility cause me to be more loving and giving? More expansive? Or does it inhibit and constrain me?

Exercise for the day: Before praying with humility and acknowledgment of God, give some charity. It will enhance your prayers.

Today is day thirty of the Omer
Day 30 -- Discipline in Humility
Proverbs 16:3 Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.

Humility must be disciplined and focused. When should my humility cause me to compromise and when not? In the name of humility do I sometimes remain silent and neutral in the face of wickedness? Humility must also include respect and awe for the person or experience before whom you stand humble. If my humility is wanting, is it because I don't respect another?

Exercise for the day: Focus in on your reluctance to commit in a given area to see if it originates from a healthy, humble place.

Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Today is day thirty-one of the Omer
Day 31 -- Compassion in Humility
Isaiah 29:19Once more the humble will rejoice in the LORD; the needy will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

Examine if your humility is compassionate. Does my humility cause me to be self-contained and anti-social or does it express itself in empathy for others. Is my humility balanced and beautiful? Or is it awkward? Just as humility brings compassion, compassion can lead one to humility. If you lack humility, try acting compassionately, which can help bring you to humility.

Exercise for the day: Express a humble feeling in an act of compassion.

Today is day thirty-two of the Omer
Day 32 -- Endurance in Humility
Deuteronomy 10:13 and to observe the LORD's commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good.

Examine the strength and endurance of your humility. Does my humility withstand challenges? Am I firm in my positions or do I waffle in the name of humility? Humility and modesty should not cause one to feel weak and insecure. True humility does not make you into a "doormat" for others to step on; on the contrary, humility gives you enduring strength. Is my humility perceived as weakness? Does that cause others to take advantage of me?

Exercise for the day: Demonstrate the strength of your humility by initiating or actively participating in a good cause.

Today is day thirty-three of the Omer
Day 33 -- Humility in Humility
James 4:6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

Everyone has humility and modesty in their hearts, the question is the measure and manner in which one consciously feels it. Am I afraid to be too humble? Do I mask and protect my modesty with aggressive behavior? Humility must also be examined for its genuineness. Is my humility humble? Or is it yet another expression of arrogance? Do I take too much pride in my humility? Do I flaunt it? Is it self-serving? Is my humility part of a crusade or is it genuine?

Exercise for the day: Be humble just for its own sake.

Today is day thirty-four of the Omer
Day 34 -- Bonding in Humility
Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Humility should not be a lonely experience. It ought to result in deep bonding and commitment. There is no stronger bond than one that comes out of humility. Does my humility separate me from others or bring us closer? Does my humility produce results? Long term results? Does it create an everlasting foundation upon which I and others can rely and build.

Exercise for the day: Use your humility to build something lasting.

Today is day thirty-five of the Omer
Day 35 -- Nobility in Humility
Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Walking humbly is walking tall. Dignity is the essence of humility and modesty. The splendor of humility is majestic and aristocratic. Humility that suppresses the human spirit and denies individual sovereignty is not humility at all. Does my humility make me feel dignified? Do I feel alive and vibrant?

Exercise for the day: Teach someone how humility and modesty enhance human dignity.

Today is day thirty-six of the Omer
Day 36 -- Loving-kindness of Bonding
Psalm 45:4 In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds.

Love is the heart of bonding. You cannot bond without love. Love establishes a reliable base on which bonding can build. If you have a problem bonding, examine how much you love the one with which you wish to bond. Do I try to bond without first fostering a loving attitude? Is my bonding expressed in a loving manner?

Exercise for the day: Demonstrate the bond you have with your child or friend through an act of love.

Today is day thirty-seven of the Omer
Day 37 -- Discipline of Bonding
Ephesians 4:3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Bonding must be done with discretion and careful consideration with whom and with what you bond. Even the healthiest and closest bonding needs "time out", a respect for each individual's space. Do I over bond? Am I too dependent on the one I bond with? Is he too dependent on me? Do I bond out of desperation? Do I bond with healthy, wholesome people?

Exercise for the day: Review the discipline in your bonding experiences to see if it needs adjustment.

Today is day thirty-eight of the Omer
Day 38 -- Compassion in Bonding
Zechariah 7:9 "This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another.

Bonding needs to be not only loving but also compassionate, feeling your friend's pain and empathizing with him. Is my bonding conditional? Do I withdraw when I am uncomfortable with my friend's troubles?

Exercise for the day: Offer help and support in dealing with an ordeal of someone with whom you have bonded.

Today is day thirty-nine of the Omer
Day 39 -- Endurance in Bonding
Proverbs 25:21 If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink

An essential component of bonding is its endurance; its ability to withstand challenges and setbacks. Without endurance there is no chance to develop true bonding. Am I totally committed to the one with whom I bond? How much will I endure and how ready am I to fight to maintain this bond? Is the person I bond with aware of my devotion?

Exercise for the day: Demonstrate the endurance level of your bonding by confronting a challenge that obstructs the bond.

Today is day forty of the Omer
Day 40 -- Humility of Bonding
Matthew 5:23 "Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you,

Humility is crucial in healthy bonding. Arrogance divides people. Preoccupation with your own desires and needs separates you from others. Humility allows you to appreciate another person and bond with him. Healthy bonding is the union of two distinct people, with independent personalities, who join for a higher purpose than satisfying their own needs. True humility comes from recognizing and acknowledging God in your life. Am I aware of the third partner -- God -- in bonding? And that this partner gives me the capacity to unite with another, despite our distinctions.

Exercise for the day: When praying acknowledge God specifically for helping you bond with others.

Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Today is day forty-one of the Omer
Day 41 -- Bonding in Bonding
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Every person needs and has the capacity to bond with other people, with significant undertakings and with meaningful experiences. Do I have difficulty bonding? Is the difficulty in all areas or only in certain ones? Do I bond easily with my job, but have trouble bonding with people? Or vice versa?
Examine the reasons for not bonding. Is it because I am too critical and find fault in everything as an excuse for not bonding? Am I too locked in my own ways? Is my not bonding a result of discomfort with vulnerability? Have I been hurt in my past bonding experiences? Has my trust been abused? Is my fear of bonding a result of the deficient bonding I experienced as a child?
To cultivate your capacity to bond, even if you have valid reasons to distrust, you must remember that God gave you a Divine soul that is nurturing and loving and you must learn to recognize the voice within, which will allow you to experience other people's souls and hearts. Then you can slowly drop your defenses when you recognize someone or something you can truly trust.
One additional point: Bonding breeds bonding. When you bond in one area of your life, it helps you bond in other areas.

Exercise for the day: Begin bonding with a new person or experience you love by committing designated time each day or week to spend together constructively.

Today is day forty-two of the Omer
Day 42 -- Nobility in Bonding
1 Thessalonians 5:14 And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.

Bonding must enhance a person's sovereignty. It should nurture and strengthen your own dignity and the dignity of the one you bond with. Does my bonding inhibit the expression of my personality and qualities? Does it overwhelm the one I bond with?

Exercise for the day: Emphasize and highlight the strengths of the one with whom you bond.

Today is day forty-three of the Omer
Day 43 -- Loving-kindness in Nobility
John 13:14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.

Healthy sovereignty is always kind and loving. An effective leader needs to be warm and considerate. Does my sovereignty make me more loving? Do I exercise my authority and leadership in a caring manner? Do I impose my authority on others?

Exercise for the day: Do something kind for your subordinates

Today is day forty-four of the Omer
Day 44 -- Discipline in Nobility
1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

Although sovereignty is loving, it needs to be balanced with discipline. Effective leadership is built on authority and discipline. There is another factor in the discipline of sovereignty: determining the area in which you have jurisdiction and authority.
Do I recognize when I am not an authority? Do I exercise authority in unwarranted situations? Am I aware of my limitations as well as my strengths? Do I respect the authority of others?

Exercise for the day: Before taking an authoritative position on any given issue, pause and reflect if you have the right and the ability to exercise authority in this situation.

Today is day forty-five of the Omer
Day 45 -- Compassion in Nobility
Exodus 20:18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance

A good leader is a compassionate one. Is my compassion compromised because of my authority? Do I realize that an integral part of dignity is compassion? -- Harmony -- is critical for successful leadership. Do I manage a smooth-running operation? Am I organized? Do I give clear instructions to my subordinates? Do I have difficulty delegating power? Do we have frequent staff meetings to coordinate our goals and efforts?

Exercise for the day: Review an area where you wield authority and see if you can polish it up and increase its effectiveness by curtailing excesses and consolidating forces.

Today is day forty-six of the Omer
Day 46 -- Endurance in Nobility
Deuteronomy 6:1 These are the commands, decrees and laws the LORD your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess.

A person's dignity and a leader's success are tested by his endurance level. Will and determination reflect the power and majesty of the human spirit. How determined am I in reaching my goals? How strong is my conviction to fight for a dignified cause? How confident am I in myself? Is my lack of endurance a result of my low self-esteem? Do I mask my insecurities by finding other excuses for my low endurance level?

Exercise for the day: Act on something that you believe in but have until now been tentative about. Take the leap and just do it!

Today is day forty-seven of the Omer
Day 47 -- Humility in Nobility
Acts 2:3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.

Sovereignty is God's gift to each individual. Does my sovereignty and independence humble me? Am I an arrogant leader? Do I appreciate the special qualities I was blessed with?

Exercise for the day: Acknowledge God for creating you with personal dignity

Today is day forty-eight of the Omer
Day 48 -- Bonding in Nobility
Leviticus 23:10 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'When you enter the land I am going to give you and you reap its harvest, bring to the priest a sheaf of the first grain you harvest.

Examine the bonding aspect of your sovereignty. Healthy independence should not prevent you from bonding with another person. On the contrary: self-confidence allows you to respect and trust another's sovereignty and ultimately bond with him. That bond will strengthen your own sovereignty, rather than sacrifice it.
Does my sovereignty prevent me from bonding? Could that be because of deeper insecurities of which I am unaware? Do I recognize the fact that a fear of bonding reflects a lack of self-confidence in my own sovereignty?

Exercise for the day: Actualize your sovereignty by intensifying your bond with a close one.

Today is day forty-nine of the Omer
Day 49 -- Nobility in Nobility
Revelation 19:6 Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns.

Examine the sovereignty of your sovereignty. Does it come from deep-rooted inner confidence in myself? Or is it just a put-on to mask my insecurities? Does that cause my sovereignty to be excessive? Am I aware of my uniqueness as a person? Of my personal contribution?

Exercise for the day: Take a moment and concentrate on yourself, on your true inner self, not on your performance and how you project to others; and be at peace with yourself knowing that God created a very special person which is you.

After the 49 days of Counting the Omer, we arrive at the fiftieth day. On this day we celebrate the Festival of Shavuot / Pentecost the giving of the Torah / Holy Spirit

I hope you enjoy this daily study.

Shalom:wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
On the night of the 49 day it is a very old tradition to stay up all night to study God’s word.
This is a good time for youth groups to spend the night at a congregations with activates planed and at different times sit and have studies.
[if they can stay awake all night]

It is also a good time for men or woman groups to get together for all night prayer and study.

Shalom Ahlaychem [Peace be unto you]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
On the 50th day it is tradition to have a mikveh service. [We also have a picnic] What is a Mikveh service? you may say. And why hold a mikveh service on Shavuot / Pentecost?

The concept of ceremo­nial washings (Hebrew word t'vilah "to totally immerse"). is as old as the Torah itself. God commanded the Hebrew people to wash their clothing before he gave them the Law at Mt.Sinai (Exodus 19:10). When God performed the miraculous, and a leper was healed, the described ceremony took place. Desig­nated sacrifices were brought to the Tabernacle or Temple, after it was confirmed by the priest that a true healing had taken place. The person was immersed in water after the healing was validated. This was not meant for physical cleansing. Since this immersion took place after the healing, it clearly signifies a spiritual cleansing.

a special pool constructed, called a mikveh. The name is derived from the Hebrew word for "collection or gathering" and speaks of a place where the waters of the immersion are gathered. The earliest biblical usage for the specific word mikveh is found in Genesis 1:9, where God called for the collection of the waters during the creation week.

**The practice of mikveh was quite common in the second Temple period, as shown by the large number of references to this custom in the Talmud. The ritual immersions for healings and service continued as prescribed by the Torah. Especially interesting is the practice of t'vilah for Gentile converts to Judaism. According to the discussions of the Talmud, this custom had been instituted some time before the first century.

The main school of rabbinic thought, (beyt Hillel "house of Hillel"), and requirements for non-Jews to join Israel was to be Mikvehed.
Hillel argued that mikveh symbolized repentance and spiritual cleansing. Built upon this analogy of the mikveh by applying it to the verse in Ezekiel that speaks of new spiritual life:

I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols (Ezekiel 36:25).

Indeed, the waters of the mikveh still hold rich spiritual lessons for those who would take a closer look at this custom appointed by God.

the mikveh's meaning. The Bible draws a distinction be­tween the holy and the profane, between the clean and unclean. The waters of the mikveh, according to the rabbis, teach the Jewish people a great deal concerning these truths. The waters symbolize spiritual cleansing, as seen in the mikveh for Gentile converts to Rabbinic Judaism. For traditional Jews, the ritual immersion is also a graphic reminder of their need for God's cleansing and new life.

“The mikveh relates to an experience of death and resurrection, and also to the reentry into the womb and reemergence. Immersing fully, you are like the fetus in the womb, and when you come up out of the mikveh you are as reborn. The individual who has sinned and become impure is transformed; he dies and is resurrected and becomes a new creation, like a newborn child.”

These thoughts may sound familiar to those who remem­ber Yeshua's dialogue with a certain rabbi (John 3), as well as Saul's description of the Messianic mikveh.Saul of Tarsus drew strongly on these lessons as he taught the Messianic believers in Rome about their faith-walk with Yeshua. In describing the reality of their salvation, he wrote:

Don't you know that those of us who have been immersed into the Messiah Yeshua have been immersed into his death? Through immersion into his death we were buried with him; so that just as, through the glory of the Father, the Messiah was raised from the dead, likewise we too might live a new life (Romans 6:3-4).

With this understanding of the mikveh, it should become more meaningful. The mikveh can be appreciated as a beautiful custom appointed by God to remind all of the need for new spiritual life and a pure walk in this world.

The most prominent example of t'vilah in the New Testa­ment is found in the early chapters of the Gospels. There was a prophet in that generation who practiced t'vilah as an integral part of his ministry, and was therefore known as Yokhanan the Immerser ("John the Baptizer").

It was during those days that Yochanan the Immerser arrived in the desert of Y'hudah and began proclaim­ing the message, "Turn from your sins to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near!" This is the man Yesha'yahu (Isaiah] was talking about when he said,

The voice of someone crying out;
'In the desert prepare the way of Adonai!
Make straight paths for him!
Yochanan wore clothes of camel's hair with a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and ;!" wild honey. People went out to him from Yerushalayim, from all Y'hudah, and from the whole region around the Yarden [Jordan]. Confessing their sins, they were immersed by him in the YardenRiver (Matthew 3:1-6).

*This account matches many of the details already known about mikveh and its significance in the Jewish culture. Yokhanan was sent to prepare the way for Messiah. In so doing, he preached the message: turn and repent.

From the chronologi­cal studies of the Gospels, it is believed by many that this event took place in the fall of the year. This message (Tshuvahl "Repent!") is a familiar one for Jewish people during that time of year (the High Holy Days).

The Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) It is the most focused time of year, where Israel assesses her spiritual condition and turns back to God .
Yokhanan [John the immerser] was preaching at the time of Rosh Hashanah, it is consistent to think that the Jewish men would naturally consider taking a mikveh. This is a sign of inward cleansing to be spiritually prepare for the. Holy Days. This was even more true for those traditional Jews who were receiving Yokhanan's exhortation to be ready for the coming Messiah. They identified with his message and took the sign of cleans­ing through the mikveh in the Jordan River.

The spiritual lessons of the Jewish mikveh perfectly picture what God has done for the believer in the Messiah. Believers have been buried, as it were, with Yeshua and raised up by his resurrection power.

What better way to show that believers have been buried with Messiah than to actually go under the water. In addition, the coming up out of the water provides
a graphic representation of being raised up with Yeshua.
Not surprisingly, the mikveh continued to be very significant
throughout the Gospel accounts, even to the last message of
Yeshua. As he was commissioning his disciples to their new
work, he said:

All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore, go and make people from all nations; into talmidim, immersing them into the reality of the b'shem Ha'Av, Yeshua HaMashiakh v'Ruakh RaKodesh [Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit], and teach­ing them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember! I will be with you always, yes, even until the end of the age (Matthew 28:18-20).

Shortly after the resurrection of Yeshua, mention is made of what might be called the "Messianic mikveh." On the day of Shavuot (Pentecost), as recorded in
Acts 2, thousands of Jewish people had gathered to celebrate the feast After the outpouring of the Ruakh HaKodesh [Holy Spirit] on the Messianic remnant, Shim'on gave his powerful message about the messiahship of Yeshua. The wonderful results were the salvation of three thousand Jewish people at one time. These new disciples now had a logistical problem. In obedience to the command of Yeshua, these new believers were ex­horted to receive the mikveh as a sign of their faith commit­ment.
(In Acts 2, how many people come to believe in Yeshua on the day of Shavuot?

When Moses comes down from the monition with the 10 Commandments, how many people died?

Remember, it was Shavuot that Moses comes down from the monition with the 10 Commandments. And it was Shavuot when the Holly Spirit comes down from above)

the Messianic mikveh, a sign of what God has done for believers, is an important testimony of one's faith. One should not overlook the fact that a Messianic mikveh will often serve as a public testimony to the world that there is a growing remnant of Jews and Gentiles who call on Messiah's name.

The New Testament confirms virtually all the customs of the Hebrew Scriptures, including the spiritual importance of the waters of the mikveh. It does not confer salvation but, as with the example of the healed person in Leviticus, it is a wonderful symbol of a healing that has already taken place. Shim'on, in his letter to some Jewish believers, summarized the significance of this Messianic under­standing of the mikveh:

This also prefigures what delivers us now, the water of immersion, which is not the removal of dirt from the body, but one's pledge to keep a good conscience toward God, through the resurrection of Yeshua the Messiah
(1 Peter 3:21).
Every person needs to ask if he or she has found the new life illustrated in the waters of the mikveh. Every believer needs to take the sign (immersion in a mikveh) of their salvation in Yeshua the Messiah. May this God-appointed custom be a source of great joy for those who have been touched by the power of the living God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The immersion that we had during our born again experience is the same that the apostles had,..

Act 1:5 for John indeed immersed in water, but you will be immersed in the Holy Spirit not many days after."

We are immersed "into" the forgiveness of our sins, the blood of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I love Pentecost and live in its reality every day.... but once a year, I remember the specific day and its meaning when given the first time and when given the second.

For me, the feast of Shavu'ot, serves to remind me of the reality of what the Spirit has done.

This is the day when God declares freedom and plenty on one hand and judgement on the other... The quote from Joel should be read within its overall context... right up to the end of the book.

I live in freedom.... freedom to keep the feasts of HaShem... if you do not want to celebrate the day, then at least celebrate the fullness of the reality.

Don't be a damp squib by inflicting your anti-law belief system on those who see the shadows as important (which i believe they are). All shadows are cast by something. This something is holy and good, and if used lawfully the law is good (so says Paul).

Steve

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This something is holy and good, and if used lawfully the law is good (so says Paul).

Steve

You're correct, let me quote the rest of the scripture associated with that statement..

1Ti 1:8 And we know that the Law is good, if anyone uses it lawfully,

1Ti 1:9 knowing this, that Law is not laid down for a righteous one, but for lawless and undisciplined ones, for ungodly and sinful ones, for unholy and profane ones, for slayers of fathers and slayers of mothers, for murderers,

1Ti 1:10 for fornicators, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and if any other thing opposes sound doctrine,

I don't make it my ambition to always strike against Jewish believers and their doctrinal stances, but on a board that is predominantly gentile, there is a tendency for that to happen at times.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.