Questions about Shavuot ( Feast of Pentecost)

Mar 14, 2015
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Christian Pastors wife who attended a passover seder a few years ago and it radically changed my faith in a deep way. in fact it had such an impact that now we explain the passover ( communion) portion every time we have communion at our church, i love all the richer meanings of jewish traditions and i really felt God leading me to observe the Feasts that were in the bible, we held a Shavuot celebration last year after i did alot of research. I think it went very well and id like to do more this year. Is there any specific things you and your family do for Shavuot that i might have missed? im attaching the script from my Shavuot Script . Id really appreciate some imput . if im doing anything wrong please tell me because id like to do this respectfully and correctly as possible.

Feast of pentecost explained-
Good evening and thank you for joining us as we celebrate the traditional feast of weeks. This was traditionally celebrated after passover they would count the omer ( weeks) 7 weeks after the last day of passover (the feast of first fruits) our Easter . there are no strict rules for how this day should be observed but there are many traditions. The point of this feast is a simple one. Before Christ it was a celebation of the giving of the torah . later in the book of ruth we see an example of gentile salvation in the blood line of the Messiah so today we also celebrate the way of salvation being prepared for us . the bible is full of God’s promises and one of those promises was when God lead his people out of captivity and into the promised land, this land is compared to milk and honey ( ex. 3: 17) and we will later honor and give thanks for God’s promises by eating desert first.
Now as new covanant believers we have a new promise as well , the promise of the holy spirit. A comforter has come and dwells in us and guilds us throughout or daily lives. And it all started in that upper room on pentecost Sunday .

1.Opening prayer- traditionally at the start of a feast the woman of the home would light candles and say a blessing to begin the festivities.
Ba-rooch Ah-tah Ah-doh-nai Eh-lo-hei-nu Meh-lech ha-oh-lam sheh-heh-cheh-yah-nu veh-kee-yeh-mah-nu ve-hee-gee-ah-nu liz-man ha-zeh.

(Translation:) Blessed are You, L rd our G d, King of the universe, who has granted us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this occasion.

2. reading of the torah .
traditonally the jewish people would stay up all night and study the torah. They valued God’s word that was given them at mount sinai. Tonight we will honor this tradition by reading the ten comandmants . would you stand with us for the reading of Gods word please turn with us to exodus 20.

“And God spoke all these words, saying: “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. “You shall have no other gods before Me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.
For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourthgenerations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold himguiltless who takes His name in vain. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days theLORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you. “You shall not murder. “You shall not commit adultery. “You shall not steal. “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that isyour neighbor’s.”

SING: ANCIENT WORDS.

3. the book of ruth is an excelent example of salvation. At this time we are going to read Sections of the book.
Reader 1: ruth 1:6-17 Reader 2: ruth 2: 4-13 Reader 3: ruth 3: 1-11 Reader 1: ruth 3 : 12- 4:4 Reader 2: ruth 4 : 5- 10 Reader 3 : ruth 4: 11-22 .
The book of ruth told of a gentile woman being redemed through her marriage to boaz. She was grafted into the blood line of the messiah much like we are also now the bride of christ awaiting his second coming.
SING: BARUCH HASHEM ADONAI

4. the promise of milk and honey .
now we give thanks for all of God’s promises . specifically the promise of a land flowing of milk and honey. The isrealites went into the promised land just as God had promised them so now we hold on to the promise of our salvation through jesus christ who is preparing for us a place .
john 14:1-3 . Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions;if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.[ And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.

At this time we will eat of milk & honey but first let us pray:
Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha'olam shehakol niyah bidvaro.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, Ruler of the universe, at whose word all came to be.

5. the coming of the holy spirit.
A Voice in the Wilderness john 1:19-23
19 Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?”
20 He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.”
21 And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?”
He said, “I am not.”
“Are you the Prophet?”
And he answered, “No.”
22 Then they said to him, “Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?”
23 He said: “I am
‘The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
“Make straight the way of the LORD,”’[g]
as the prophet Isaiah said.”

SING: PREPARE THE WAY
This Jesus promised as he acended to heaven that the holy spirit would come.

Acts 2:1-4
New King James Version (NKJV)
Coming of the Holy Spirit
2 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord[a] in one place.2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

SING: MAKE US ONE

5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?”13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.”
SING: WORD OF GOD SPEAK
Peter's Sermon at Pentecost
14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words.15 For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel:
17 “‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams;
18 even on my male servants[c] and female servants
in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy.
19 And I will show wonders in the heavens above
and signs on the earth below,
blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke;
20 the sun shall be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood,
before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day.
21 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’
SING: Let it rain
Acts 2:37-41
English Standard Version (ESV)
37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.” 40 And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation.” 41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

SING: Open the eyes of my heart, holy spirit rain down , surely the presence

Thank you for joining us today as we celebrate the feast of Pentecost, at this time before we eat the meal I want us to spend some time praying for Israel and for revival in our lives. We will take 5 minutes or so to pray quietly and then Pastor Joe will close in prayer.