✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
images.png celticcross.jpg
Hispanic Catholic here wondering, since this is St. Patrick's day, if there are any fellow-Catholics here of Irish descent, or of any other interesting Catholic cultural background? But please, no apostates, again this is a Catholics only thread, I only want to here from practicing Catholics.

Decanus

I don't even know anymore
Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm both a British and Irish citizen, and Catholic. My Grandad came over to England from Northern Ireland and his parents fought for Irish Independence.

Hope that answers your question haha.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm both a British and Irish citizen, and Catholic. My Grandad came over to England from Northern Ireland and his parents fought for Irish Independence.

Hope that answers your question haha.
Thanks, yeah I suspected that the vast majority of Catholics on here are of a Protestant Anglo-American background.

Your grandad fought for Irish Independence? Interesting. (Albeit, I'm well aware that the Irish War for Independence was still quite recent compared to other world events.)

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
My mom and dad both have some Irish in them, so my brother and I do too. I'm not exactly sure how much I have, but probably not a lot. Other than that, I know I have a little bit of Native American and some from multiple European countries.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My mom and dad both have some Irish in them, so my brother and I do too. I'm not exactly sure how much I have, but probably not a lot. Other than that, I know I have a little bit of Native American and some from multiple European countries.
Interesting, on my mom's side I have Norwegian and British (possibly Scottish) ancestry. As I've mentioned several times before, my dad is Chilean, and his side of the family is Mestizo. The Mestizos are a half-native half-Spanish European peoples, so I probably have a lot of indigenous blood in me. (It would be really cool if I had some Incan ancestry in me.) My European side is also quite fascinating, we started off Basque which is a very fascinating people and language.

• Informative
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Irish both sides of family. Great Grand parents from Kerry and Cork. My Fathers aunt was a Mother Superior up in Maine. lol

My sisters DNA test was 99 % Irish and 1 % Scottish

I remember at catechism class we had a non-nun who started to teach and one day she tried to convince us we were Roman Catholic. We were kids and we stood up and insisted we were Irish Catholic. We went home and told our Mothers. The instructor never mentioned it again.

Cardinal Cushing was our Cardinal and he was from South Boston. No one was messing with him.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I remember at catechism class we had a non-nun who started to teach and one day she tried to convince us we were Roman Catholic. We were kids and we stood up and insisted we were Irish Catholic. We went home and told our Mothers. The instructor never mentioned it again.

Cardinal Cushing was our Cardinal and he was from South Boston. No one was messing with him.
^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Decanus

Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, yeah I suspected that the vast majority of Catholics on here are of a Protestant Anglo-American background.

Your grandad fought for Irish Independence? Interesting. (Albeit, I'm well aware that the Irish War for Independence was still quite recent compared to other world events.)

My background is a mix. My Dad is English and baptised Anglican (though he's also meant to have some Irish and German heritage) and my paternal grandfathers family were English Catholics.

My maternal grandmother was a convert from Anglicanism when she married my Irish Catholic grandad. It was his parents that were in the IRA (pre-troubles era) in their home county of Armagh. Always have a right giggle at the fact that my Great Nan was a gun runner because she was such a little lady.

I suspect my Grandad was trying to get away from it all. He's very secretive about his life in Ireland and only ever goes back for funerals. Makes me think there's a lot more too it. One reason could be from the Birmingham pub bombings in the 70's. When that happened, because my Grandad was Irish....well I think you know what the natives did to him when that happened.

I was raised in an Irish Catholic community in one of Englands big cities. So although i'm born and bred English, the Irish identity was a massive part of my upbringing and I guess since i'm an Irish Citizen my identity has always been split. Doesn't help when your two nationalities have been at odds with each other for centuries aha.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was raised in an Irish Catholic community in one of Englands big cities. So although i'm born and bred English, the Irish identity was a massive part of my upbringing and I guess since i'm an Irish Citizen my identity has always been split. Doesn't help when your two nationalities have been at odds with each other for centuries aha.
Yeah, guess I'm lucky I've only had small tastes of the historical enmity between Britain and Spain.

Reactions: Decanus
Upvote 0

Decanus

Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, guess I'm lucky I've only had small tastes of the historical enmity between Britain and Spain.

Has there been much recently? I've always had very good and positive dealings with the Spanish. It's my families favourite place to go. The food, the people, the historic sites, the scenery....amazing.

I remember we were in Spain when they won the world cup and they went crazy and started giving us all free drinks. Spain will always be one of those places that holds good memories for me.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Has there been much recently? I've always had very good and positive dealings with the Spanish. It's my families favourite place to go. The food, the people, the historic sites, the scenery....amazing.

I remember we were in Spain when they won the world cup and they went crazy and started giving us all free drinks. Spain will always be one of those places that holds good memories for me.
Interesting, I guess it's more Anglo-America vs Latin America now, then Britain vs Spain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Decanus

Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Interesting, I guess it's more Anglo-America vs Latin America now, then Britain vs Spain.

Yeah, I definitely see more tension between Anglo-America and Latin America, for sure.

Brits are well known for our love of Spain these days.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Interesting, on my mom's side I have Norwegian and British (possibly Scottish) ancestry. As I've mentioned several times before, my dad is Chilean, and his side of the family is Mestizo. The Mestizos are a half-native half-Spanish European peoples, so I probably have a lot of indigenous blood in me. (It would be really cool if I had some Incan ancestry in me.) My European side is also quite fascinating, we started off Basque which is a very fascinating people and language.

Fascinating background.
I like Spanish people very much and had wished to learn Spanish (language) years ago.
I love to watch Spanish movies and used to watch South American soccer marches. :)

Upvote 0

Robinus

Sep 22, 2016
United Kingdom
✟46,468.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Fascinating background.
I like Spanish people very much and had wished to learn Spanish (language) years ago.
I love to watch Spanish movies and used to watch South American soccer marches. :)
Yeah, my dad tried to teach me Spanish as a child, but it didn't really stick with me, I may try to take up learning it again. I also want to try and learn Basque, although that would be really hard considering how radically different Basque is from any other European Language. For now, I'm just going to stick with working on Ecclesial Latin.

Upvote 0