• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured catholics, i am a protestant, i want to hear you

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by lambofgod43985889, Aug 19, 2019.

1. jamesbond007

jamesbond007 Well-Known Member Supporter

+230
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    From what I understand, it was taken from the Bible or God's word. He would be the author. As for the when one stopped and the other began, I do not know because of the creed disagreements. They had the full Bible, just like we have the full Bible, but there still isn't any agreement. The important part is for one to decide for themselves what they believe.

2. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+6,444
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Nobody could've predicted that.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Anto9us

Anto9us Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,990
    United States
    Methodist
    Private
    US-Others
    I brought up the filioque, James Bond, because I backed off in another thread that was in OBOB on the subject of why Catholics say THEY are "the one true church" when Orthodox have just as much right to say that. But in this thread, in a. Forum that is not Catholic per se, I want to pursue this.

I would like something of more depth than a simple "but Catholics are right" - Sheesh.

I don't know why ME bringing up filioque somehow "interrupted" your discussion with thecolorsblend.

I do not think it can be disputed that filioque was ADDED LATER to Nicene Creed.

4. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli Well-Known Member

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    ...And this is why I don't come here anymore.

5. Landon Caeli

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Honestly, why the nosey questions anyways? Why not just mind one's own business and leave others alone in regards to their faith?

...Or is it an obligation to "fix" other people's religious beliefs? Seriously, I don't get it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats Saved by Christ

+530
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Of course sometimes the Catholics are right. Unfortunately they are not always good at accepting the fact that their beliefs do not always center around the Bible.

7. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+8,887
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That's an excellent point, and true. Catholic beliefs and practices center around what is Apostolic. Not solely around Scripture.

To understand what is Apostolic, beyond what is recorded in Scripture, we have to look at the Early Church Fathers.

8. ChristianForCats

+530
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    We are called to evangelize in hopes others will change their minds about Jesus, so there is an obligation.

9. Gracia Singh

+8,887
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And Ecumenical Councils, Papal decrees, the writings and works of Saints, Liturgy, and prayer, over the centuries.

For Catholic Christians, this, too, is inspired and a part of our Christian faith, and history.

10. ChristianForCats

+530
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Are you Catholic Gracie?

11. Landon Caeli

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    You do realize how condescending that is though, right? To say that what you think is 'better' than what someone else thinks...

How can that be any kind of "good"..?

12. Gracia Singh

+8,887
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Good question. I hope to be someday! Right now, just learning and waiting.

13. ChristianForCats

+530
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    This is a totally different topic for another thread, but evangelism is not bragging. It is teaching.

14. ChristianForCats

+530
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Let God guide you to the right church. Don't try to be Catholic if He has other ideas.

15. Gracia Singh

+8,887
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Keep learning and asking, Cats. God be with you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. ChristianForCats

+530
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Who are "they" in the second graphic?

17. Gracia Singh

+8,887
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Heretics.

18. Anto9us

Anto9us Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,990
    United States
    Methodist
    Private
    US-Others
    And did they "incur death"?

At whose hands did they die by?

Inquisition?

19. Landon Caeli

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    No, it fits here just fine, actually. Proselytization is more of a recruitment method, not much different than what gangs do, on the lower end of the moral spectrum. This is just a more civilized form of the same worldly notion.

You see, one can't "Evangelize" someone who is already a believer. Let's not fool ourselves. What's going on in this thread, addressing Catholics, is "proselytizing". And it's condescending, as Jesus never said anywhere in the bible that certain Christian's had any obligation to bother other Christians with scriptural or ecclesiastical discrepancies.

...This is an issue of pride.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  20. ChristianForCats

+530
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Evangelism is specifically teaching the Gospel to unbelievers so that they will become believers.