✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now I am VERY surprised! Is this true!?

So, if 14 patriarchates kick me off but I am still in communion with 1, am I still in the Church?

If you are steadfast in Orthodoxy, then yes, the Church will vindicate you as one of her own, since you never ceased communing with the Church

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholic Answers gulag!!

I hate when Catholics leave me in limbo...

I remember when you got banned and I couldn't even find your name registered. It was like a soviet purgation of all traces of Gurney.

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been reading Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Fr Andrew Amick. He breaks down the issues of contention between Catholic and Orthdox as:

Papal Universal Jurisdiction
Papal Infallibility
Papal Petrine exclusivism
Development of doctrine
The filoque
original sin understood as transmitted via propogation
The immaculate conception of Mary.
Absolute divine simplicity
Merit and salvation soteriology
purgatory and indulgences
created grace

Reactions: Isaac32
Upvote 0

MilesVitae

Nov 12, 2012
Massachusetts, New England
✟9,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been reading Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Fr Andrew Amick. He breaks down the issues of contention between Catholic and Orthdox as:

Papal Universal Jurisdiction
Papal Infallibility
Papal Petrine exclusivism
Development of doctrine
The filoque
original sin understood as transmitted via propogation
The immaculate conception of Mary.
Absolute divine simplicity
Merit and salvation soteriology
purgatory and indulgences
created grace

Are you able to expand on what is meant by the underlined? There is, of course, alleged conflict between RCC and EOC concerning original sin. But what is intended by specifying "via propogation" - wouldn't both Churches say that our fallen condition (however that might be understood) is transmitted via propogation?
Or is the emphasis here simply on the idea of original sin being transmitted at all?

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe it's the idea of original sin being transmitted at all. From the book:

"Roman Catholicism teaches that original sin is transmitted to the descendants of Adam and Eve by means of sexual reproduction....."

But, the Orthodox positions would be: "While we suffer the effects of Adam's sin (because we're human,) we are not guilty of any sins but our own. We did not sin in Adam, but we sin because Adam's sin made us capable of sin. That is why many Orthodox writers prefer to use the term ancestral sin rather than original sin.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the issue is that the guilt of Adam is passed to all of us. We are fallen, mortal, corrupt, and inclined to sin because of Adam, but only guilty of our own. I did not sin in Adam, but I must deal with the after effects of his sin.

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

Sanctus Est

Sep 11, 2015
✟7,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
I am thankful to all of you for your answers, but I still have a lot of questions, sorry if I couldn't post sooner but I had job troubles and so on. I have been watching some sites that made me question a lot more and I am interested how the Orthodox Church may answer their questions, this is what I was talking about:

http://jimmyakin.com/why-i-am-not-eastern-orthodox
http://catholicnick.blogspot.com.es/2010/07/why-i-am-not-eastern-orthodox.html

And hundred of more of these questions in pages like here: http://conversiaddominum.blogspot.com.es/2007/12/im-just-curious-why-are-you-not.html

Now I do not one to convert anyone to the heretical Catholicisim I am in :p But I would really see how the Orthodox can answers these vital questions up here...

Thank you all and God bless you!

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would highly recommend reading Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Andrew Damick. It addresses a lot of these questions. It is the closest thing I've seen to a clear - "here is what Orthodox believe as compared to other faiths."

I have a problem with the apparent lack of a catechism in Orthodoxy. When I want to know what the Catholic church *really* believes and teaches they can point me to the catechism. Nobody has done that yet in Orthodoxy. I don't want to have to join to find out what they really believe. I've had that experience before, and it has made me incredibly wary.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a problem with the apparent lack of a catechism in Orthodoxy.

that's because our faith cannot be reduced to an official catechism. we do have them though.

I don't want to have to join to find out what they really believe. I've had that experience before, and it has made me incredibly wary.

that's wise. in all honesty, you are taught as you go to Church. our whole theology is wrapped up in our liturgical life. so you want a real catechism? go to our Church!

Upvote 0

St Herman's Ghost

Orthodoxy or Death
Aug 14, 2015
WV
✟15,563.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello forumers, I am a Catholic from Atlanta, GA, and I have been informed that the Orthodox Church believes itself to be the original Church started by Christ and His apostles and I didn't know that, I have always believed the Catholic Church is the true one, and so do I, but I want to know what makes the Orthodox believe that, even over the Catholic Church, why do you consider your Church to be true?

In a word? History

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am thankful to all of you for your answers, but I still have a lot of questions, sorry if I couldn't post sooner but I had job troubles and so on. I have been watching some sites that made me question a lot more and I am interested how the Orthodox Church may answer their questions, this is what I was talking about:

http://catholicnick.blogspot.com.es/2010/07/why-i-am-not-eastern-orthodox.html

And hundred of more of these questions in pages like here: http://conversiaddominum.blogspot.com.es/2007/12/im-just-curious-why-are-you-not.html

Now I do not one to convert anyone to the heretical Catholicisim I am in :p But I would really see how the Orthodox can answers these vital questions up here...

Thank you all and God bless you!
Very interesting questions, tough I don't think I can give the propper answers, I hope someone who's more into ecclesiology than me will!

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
that's wise. in all honesty, you are taught as you go to Church. our whole theology is wrapped up in our liturgical life. so you want a real catechism? go to our Church!

I do go to Divine Liturgy at the Orthodox Church near my home. Though, I'm afraid my husband is getting ready to put a stop to it. When we went last week, he didn't seem real happy that so many people know who I am and act like I belong there. He was like, "How often have you been here?" I might have to remind him that our once a month agreement is that we go where *I* want to - not to some random church.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I just had a quick look at this and am very disappointed as it seems not that he has found Orthodoxy wanting, but rather he has found a sad caricature of Orthodoxy wanting, so he hasn't chosen Catholicism over Orthodoxy because what he describes as Orthodoxy, isn't actually Orthodoxy.
There are quite a few issues that he fails to assess such as the completely different approach we have for praying for the dead, but I need to be sitting at my computer to work through them as I will go blind using my phone.

Upvote 0