Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are mistaken. Paul makes this very clear here:

2 Tim 2:12
if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us;

Wrong again:

sozo (Greek for saved)

Link

"We never get past the gospel. What saved us in the past, when we were still in our sins—fallen sons of Adam by nature—was the grace of God in the gospel. Nowhere is that put more succinctly than in Ephesians: “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast” (Eph. 2:8–9).

But the New Testament can also speak about our salvation in the present tense—we are “being saved” (1 Cor. 1:18; 2 Cor. 2:15)—as well as in the future tense—we “shall … be saved” (Rom. 5:9)."

The Three Tenses of Salvation

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wrong. He foreknew EVERYTHING about them, including their faith, works, prayers, and endurance.

Your absolutely right.

God intimately knew the elect because He called them first.

But, if God chose them based any of their "faith, works, prayers, and endurance", then there was something you will do that merits His divine favor.

And that friend, is found nowhere in scripture!

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You don't see the truth because you are mired in a man made dogma.

The bible is clear, and it contradicts your dogma:

1 Peter 117
Since you call on a Father who judges each person's work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear.

When does God/Jesus judge us?

Matthew 16:27
For the Son of Man will come in His Father's glory with His angels, and then He will repay each one according to what he has done.

Again, when does God/Jesus judge us?

Acts 10:34
34Then Peter began to speak: “I now truly understand that God does not show favoritism, 35but welcomes those from every nation who fear Him and do what is right.

Does the scripture not say:

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." -Eph. 2:10 (KJV)

My calling/gifts are that of teacher, preacher, deacon, elder. These are the things which I was "created in Christ Jesus unto good works". To not do what God has ordained me to do would be a sin.

Matt 7
True and False Disciples

21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

The Wise and Foolish Builders

24“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

While it is true that there will be false believers mixed in with true believers. And we are also told that we would know them by their works. But that is not the "proof positive" as you have supplied the verse for me.

But what has that to do with the subject at hand?

you are mired in a man made dogma

I could say the same about you. Your so mired in the teachings/dogmas of the Catholic church, you don't see anything outside of what you want to see.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And since you brought up Acts 10:34, I want you to describe, tell me exactly what are "works of righteousness".

I know what Baptist teach, and I know what the scriptures teach.

The ultimate "work of righteousness" was done by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Calvary. So anything that is to be considered a "work of righteousness" has to be measured against that of Jesus' work.

Anything I do, must be = to >than that of Jesus to be considered a "work of righteousness".

Plus, we must also take into consideration what is said in Luke 17:10:

"So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."

Have I done anything that truly sets me apart from anybody else? No!

I have only done was I was supposed to do.

However, here again, I appeal to the Greek. In Acts 10:35 we see the Greek word "δικαιοσύνην" form the Greek word "δικαιοσύνη".

We also learn:

"to the text now accepted; in like manner ἐργάζεσθαι δικαιασύνην, Acts x. 35; Heb. xi. 33;"

Thayer Lexicon, Thayer, Joseph Henry. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, being Grimm's Wilke's Clavis Novi Testamenti, translated, revised, and enlarged. Corrected edition. New York: American Book Company, 1889. This complete, unabridged digital edition adds transliterations, Strong's numbers, and unicode Greek characters. These additions are ©2007 TheBible.org, all rights reserved worldwide.

So when I said:

My calling/gifts are that of teacher, preacher, deacon, elder. These are the things which I was "created in Christ Jesus unto good works".

These fall that of Acts 10:35 and yet at the same time fall under the category of those things in Luke 17:10.

I've done nothing extraordinary, above and beyond, I've only done what I was called to do, which was that which was our duty to do. I am an "unprofitable servant".

Rev. E. W. Bullinger says:

"the doing or being what is just and right; the character and acts of a man commanded by and approved of God, in virtue of which the man corresponds with Him and His will as His ideal and His standard; it signifies the sum total of all that God commands and approves. As such it is not only what God demands, but what He gives to man, and which is appropriated by faith; and hence it is a state called forth by God's act of justification, viz. by judicial deliverance from all that stands in the way of being δίκαιος (dikaios 1342)"

E. W. Bullinger, A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, together with an Index of Greek words and several appendices. Fourth edition, revised. London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1895.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And since you brought up Acts 10:34, I want you to describe, tell me exactly what are "works of righteousness".

I know what Baptist teach, and I know what the scriptures teach.

The ultimate "work of righteousness" was done by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Calvary. So anything that is to be considered a "work of righteousness" has to be measured against that of Jesus' work.

Anything I do, must be = to >than that of Jesus to be considered a "work of righteousness".

Plus, we must also take into consideration what is said in Luke 17:10:

"So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."

Have I done anything that truly sets me apart from anybody else? No!

I have only done was I was supposed to do.

However, here again, I appeal to the Greek. In Acts 10:35 we see the Greek word "δικαιοσύνην" form the Greek word "δικαιοσύνη".

We also learn:

"to the text now accepted; in like manner ἐργάζεσθαι δικαιασύνην, Acts x. 35; Heb. xi. 33;"

Thayer Lexicon, Thayer, Joseph Henry. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, being Grimm's Wilke's Clavis Novi Testamenti, translated, revised, and enlarged. Corrected edition. New York: American Book Company, 1889. This complete, unabridged digital edition adds transliterations, Strong's numbers, and unicode Greek characters. These additions are ©2007 TheBible.org, all rights reserved worldwide.

So when I said:

My calling/gifts are that of teacher, preacher, deacon, elder. These are the things which I was "created in Christ Jesus unto good works".

These fall that of Acts 10:35 and yet at the same time fall under the category of those things in Luke 17:10.

I've done nothing extraordinary, above and beyond, I've only done what I was called to do, which was that which was our duty to do. I am an "unprofitable servant".

Rev. E. W. Bullinger says:

"the doing or being what is just and right; the character and acts of a man commanded by and approved of God, in virtue of which the man corresponds with Him and His will as His ideal and His standard; it signifies the sum total of all that God commands and approves. As such it is not only what God demands, but what He gives to man, and which is appropriated by faith; and hence it is a state called forth by God's act of justification, viz. by judicial deliverance from all that stands in the way of being δίκαιος (dikaios 1342)"

E. W. Bullinger, A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, together with an Index of Greek words and several appendices. Fourth edition, revised. London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1895.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wrong again:

sozo (Greek for saved)

Link

"We never get past the gospel. What saved us in the past, when we were still in our sins—fallen sons of Adam by nature—was the grace of God in the gospel. Nowhere is that put more succinctly than in Ephesians: “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast” (Eph. 2:8–9).

But the New Testament can also speak about our salvation in the present tense—we are “being saved” (1 Cor. 1:18; 2 Cor. 2:15)—as well as in the future tense—we “shall … be saved” (Rom. 5:9)."

The Three Tenses of Salvation

God Bless

Till all are one.

You completely ignore the bible verses I post and revert back to your man made dogma.

Interesting.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your absolutely right.

God intimately knew the elect because He called them first.

But, if God chose them based any of their "faith, works, prayers, and endurance", then there was something you will do that merits His divine favor.

And that friend, is found nowhere in scripture!

God Bless

Till all are one.

Does a man reap what he sows?

Does God judge us according to our works?

Does God choose those he foreknew to be obedient?

The bible says yes, you say no.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Some good examples:

Matt 25
34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You completely ignore the bible verses I post and revert back to your man made dogma.

Interesting.

I could say the same thing to you.

You revert back to whatever the "church" teaches except when it suits your needs.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does a man reap what he sows?

Does God judge us according to our works?

Does God choose those he foreknew to be obedient?

The bible says yes, you say no.

And there you go reverting back to "church" dogmas.

I have already given an explanation in the Greek, but according to your churches theology, I'm not allowed to disagree.

So until you can prove to me, that my Greek and your Latin Vulgate are wrong.

You don't have a leg to stand on.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
but the righteous to eternal life.”

And I already have been declared "righteous" by God.

So...

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And I already have been declared "righteous" by God.

So...

God Bless

Till all are one.

You will be declared righteous if you remain in the kindness of God. Otherwise, you will be cut off.

How do you remain in God's love?

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And there you go reverting back to "church" dogmas.

I have already given an explanation in the Greek, but according to your churches theology, I'm not allowed to disagree.

So until you can prove to me, that my Greek and your Latin Vulgate are wrong.

You don't have a leg to stand on.

God Bless

Till all are one.

You probably aren't aware of Catholic theology with regard to grace and justification. It is much closer to your view than you realize.

Catholics are not permitted to teach that a man can save himself of his own free will, nor are they allowed to believe that God predestines anyone to Hell. In between those two extremes there is a wide range of opinion that is acceptable for Catholics to believe.

Here's a Good Summary that you might find interesting:

Catechism of the Catholic Church - Grace and justification

Start with the section on Grace: 1996

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You will be declared righteous if you remain in the kindness of God. Otherwise, you will be cut off.

How do you remain in God's love?

Like I said, in Genesis 15, when Abraham believed, he was declared "righteous".

When I believed, I was declared "righteous." And from both the Hebrew and Greek, in every place "righteous" is written, you can substitute "justified".

And no teaching, dogma, or doctrine of the Catholic church can change that.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You probably aren't aware of Catholic theology with regard to grace and justification. It is much closer to your view than you realize.

Catholics are not permitted to teach that a man can save himself of his own free will, nor are they allowed to believe that God predestines anyone to Hell. In between those two extremes there is a wide range of opinion that is acceptable for Catholics to believe.

Here's a Good Summary that you might find interesting:

Catechism of the Catholic Church - Grace and justification

Start with the section on Grace: 1996

How many times do I have to tell you, I HAVE READ IT?!?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lets examine what the Council of Trent said:

In its official writings, the Catholic Church teaches that faith is important; but it also insists on the necessity of good works to merit eternal life. Please read carefully the following quotations from the Council of Trent on Justification:

"Canon 11. If anyone says that men are justified either by the sole imputation of the justice of Christ or by the sole remission of sins, excluding grace and charity which is poured into their hearts by the Holy Spirit and inheres in them, or also that the grace which justifies us is only the favour of God, let him be anathema.

Canon 12. If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in divine mercy, which remits sins for Christ's sake, or that it is this confidence alone that justifies us, let him be anathema.

Canon 24. If anyone says that the justice (righteousness) received is not preserved and also not increased before God through good works but that those works are merely the fruits and signs of justification obtained, but not the cause of the increase, let him be anathema.

Canon 30. If anyone says that after the reception of the grace of justification the guilt is so remitted and the debt of eternal punishment so blotted out to every repentant sinner, that no debt of temporal punishment remains to be discharged either in this world or in purgatory before the gates of heaven can be opened, let him be anathema.

Canon 32. If anyone says that the good works of the one justified are in such manner the gifts of God that they are not also the good merits of him justified; or that the one justified by the good works that he performs by the grace of God and the merit of Jesus Christ (of whom one is a living member), the justified does not truly merit an increase of grace, and eternal life, provided that one dies in the state of grace, the attainment of this eternal life, as well as an increase in glory, let him be anathema."

Official Catholic teaching would not allow the sinner to rely by faith on the mercy of God or to believe that his sins are forgiven for Christ’s sake only. Something more is required. You must keep yourself justified by your own good works. You must merit grace and eternal life by your works.

But what about Canon 1?

"If anyone says that man can be justified before God by his own works, whether done by his own natural powers or through the teaching of the law, without divine grace through Jesus Christ, let him be anathema."

This canon gives an initial impression that Rome denies justification by works just as the Bible (and evangelicals) also do. In fact it does not! The canon simply says that a man cannot be justified by performing the works of the Law by his own natural powers. However, the same canon indicates that a man can 'receive divine grace through Jesus Christ' to perform the works necessary for justification. In other words, Rome teaches that God helps man to do good works and hence to fully satisfy the Law. Only then is a person qualified to enter heaven. The Council of Trent elaborates this idea in chapter 16:

"For, whereas Jesus Christ Himself continually infuses his virtue into the said justified, - as the head into the members, and the vine into the branches, - and this virtue always precedes and accompanies and follows their good works, which without it could not in any wise be pleasing and meritorious before God, - we must believe that nothing further is wanting to the justified, to prevent their being accounted to have, by those very works which have been done in God, fully satisfied the divine law according to the state of this life, and to have truly merited eternal life, to be obtained also in its (due) time, if so be, however, that they depart in grace..."

To be fair, I would acknowledge that a great emphasis is placed on Jesus Christ and the grace of God. Good works do not originate in man's natural ability but can only be performed through Jesus Christ. Yet, it is also true that these works do not cease to be the good works of the Christian; personal works give him the right to heaven.

So then, what is required for a person to be justified at the end, that is, to be accounted to have fully satisfied divine law, and therefore to merit eternal life? Trent answers: THEIR GOOD WORKS! Their good works fully satisfy the divine law. Their works merit eternal life.

Catholic theology insists that the Christian's good works are truly his good merits, and by these works, he preserves and increases the initial righteousness received in baptism to finally attain eternal life (canons 24 and 32).

I have read, and I have studied.

Whether you like it or not.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Like I said, in Genesis 15, when Abraham believed, he was declared "righteous".

When I believed, I was declared "righteous." And from both the Hebrew and Greek, in every place "righteous" is written, you can substitute "justified".

And no teaching, dogma, or doctrine of the Catholic church can change that.

God Bless

Till all are one.

The bible clearly says that you must remain in God's kindness or you will be cut off.

It also says that only those who endure will be saved.

You can't change that.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Lets examine what the Council of Trent said:

In its official writings, the Catholic Church teaches that faith is important; but it also insists on the necessity of good works to merit eternal life.

Where would the Church get such a crazy idea?

Matt 7:21
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Romans 2
6God will repay each person according to what they have done. 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

James 2:24
You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

John 15:10
If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love.

Gal 6
7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where would the Church get such a crazy idea?

Matt 7:21
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

The thing about this is the difference between those who are rally saved, and those who are only fooling themselves.

Romans 2
6God will repay each person according to what they have done. 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

What did Jesus say?

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life." -Jn. 6:47 (KJV)

James 2:24
You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

We can debate this all day long and it will not settle anything.

Martin Luther wrote in his preface to James and Jude: “James does nothing more than drive a man to the Law and its works.” And this is apparent in some faiths teachings. However, Luther also admits that James wanted to guard against those who relied on faith exclusively but wasn’t quite up to the task.

Luther also was quick to point out that James called the “Law” a “perfect law of liberty.” (cf. Jas. 1:25) Paul viewed it as a Law that brings slavery, (Gal. 5:3) wrath, (Rom. 4:15) sin, (Rom. 7:7) and death (Rom. 7:10).

When men are turned away from their own self-efforts, the next step is to run in the complete opposite direction. If they cannot trust in their own self-righteousness, if they cannot be justified by their own works, then it is just a minor shift to reject works of any kind, and there is no such thing as ungodly living or ungodly practice. This is the door which leads down the path to antinomianism.

It has been argued that Paul and James are not contradictory, but rather, complimentary. This can be seen by the statements by these men in that Paul says you are justified by faith, verse James’ teaching that you are justified by works and not by faith alone. Arthur W. Pink wrote:

“Unless the subject and scope of James’ Epistle be clearly seen, the apprehension of many of its statements can only issue in God-dishonoring, grace-repudiating, soul-destroying error. To this portion of the Word of God, more than any other, have legalists appealed in their opposition to the grand truth of justification by grace, through faith, without works. To the declarations of this Epistle have they turned to find support for their Christ-insulting, man-exalting, Gospel-repudiating error of justification by human works. Merit-mongers of all descriptions cite James 2 for the purpose of setting aside all that is taught elsewhere in Scripture on the subject of justification. Romanists, and their half-brothers the Arminians, quote "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only" (v. 24), and suppose that ends all argument. (Arthur W. Pink, The Doctrine of Justification, Chapter 9, Its Evidence, book on-line, accessed 5/31/09, found on the World-Wide-web at: 9. Its Evidence)

What is maintained is, that Paul addresses the fact of how a man can be justified before God, and James addresses how a man can be justified before man. Paul addresses our justification of persons, while James addresses our justification of profession. The one is by faith alone, while the other worketh by love and produces obedience. (Pink)

A fact that most seen to overlook at are the differences between what Paul is quoting from, and what James quotes, rather, bases their statements on. Paul uses Gen. 15:6 as his basis in Romans 4, and James uses Gen. 22:1-19 for his basis. Abraham was seventy-five years old when he believed God in Genesis 15. However, Abraham was 100 years old when Isaac was born. (cf. Gen. 22:6) Tradition has it that Isaac was around twenty-five when Abraham took him to the mountain for the sacrifice. If the Catholics and Arminians are correct, then it logically means that Abraham had to wait fifty years in order to actually be justified! No! We merely point out that the offering of his son, gave evidence to Abraham’s faith in God. {emphasis here mine}

Professing to be a Christian when one is not may secure a standing before men, it may improve his moral and social prestige, he may be able to join a church, and help promote his commercial interests, but can it save him? What is the use to fein to be charitable when works of charity are withheld? What good does it bring to calling oneself a Christian when empty stomachs are met with good words? How can a person claim to be a Christian and clothe the naked by good wishes? What does it profit to profess to be a believer when there is no true piety?

Neither can a person be saved by a mere empty hollow confession of the Gospel. To say that I am a Christian and am unable to appeal to any good works and spiritual fruits as proof of it, profits neither the person nor those who listen. Without the essential element of “faith worketh by love” (cf. Gal. 5:6), no matter how much reading or studying, no amount of head knowledge, no amount of preaching and teaching one can do, they are no more than “sounding brass and tinkling symbol.” Without love, those professors will be the ones pleading their works but will be told: “Depart, I never knew ye.”

From my paper: "A Baptist Perspective on the Doctrine of Justification"

John 15:10
If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love.

So, have you personally kept them all?

Gal 6
7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

"Galatians 6:8

For he that soweth to his flesh
Not that taking due care of a man's body, seeking the preservation of its health, providing proper food and raiment for himself, and all necessaries for the good and support of his family, is to be called sowing to his flesh, nor is he to be called a carnal sower; but he is such an one that pampers his flesh, gratifies and indulges the lusts of it, who minds the things of the flesh, lives after it, and does the works of it, who spends his substance in a luxurious way upon himself and family; or whose whole bent, and study, and employment, is to increase his worldly riches, to aggrandize himself and posterity, to the neglect of his own soul, the interest of religion, the poor of the church, and ministers of the Gospel:
shall of the flesh reap corruption;
shall by such carnal methods procure for himself, in this world, nothing but what is corruptible, as silver and gold be, and such treasure as moth and rust corrupt; such substance as will not endure, but is perishing, and may be by one providence or another taken from him; so that all his care in sowing comes to nothing, and is of no advantage to himself, nor to his posterity; see ( Haggai 1:4-6 ) , and shall fall into the pit of corruption, and be punished with everlasting destruction, and die the second death in the world to come.
But he that soweth to the Spirit;
not his own, but the Spirit of God; or that soweth spiritual things, that minds and savours the things of the Spirit, lives in the Spirit, and walks in the Spirit; that lays out his worldly substance in promoting spiritual things, in encouraging the spiritual ministers of the word, in supporting the interest of spiritual religion, in relieving the poor of Christ's churches, in contributing to the spread of the Gospel, and the administration of the word and ordinances in other places, as well as where he is more immediately concerned:
shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting;
in the use of such spiritual means, though not as meritorious, or as causes, he shall attain to, and enjoy eternal happiness in the other world; or of, and by the Spirit of God, by whose grace and strength he sows, and does all the good things he does, by and of him sanctifying him, and making him meet for it, and not of himself, or any works of righteousness done by him, shall he inherit eternal life; which is the pure gift of God through Jesus Christ, and bestowed as a reward of his own grace."

Source

Even if you use this as a proof text, we are presented with two different people. One who may look like a "Christian" yet sows or "gratifies and indulges the lusts of it, who minds the things of the flesh, lives after it, and does the works of it," and one who is saved and "soweth spiritual things, that minds and savours the things of the Spirit, lives in the Spirit, and walks in the Spirit".

That is funny.

How many times have you linked me to Catechisms of the Catholic church, and told me that is your "standard"?

I have used your own churches teaching, specifically that of the Council of Trent, to prove your wrong. You know, I too can pick scripture out of context and piecemeal them together to make them say what I want.

Sorry, I'm buying what your selling.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0