Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By turning Baptism into an act of obedience we do for God it becomes a work of law;
That is simply not true. You must will yourself into the water, you must will yourself to study God's word. Now, if God accomplished everything at baptism without any demands on us, meaning He miraculously transfers us from wherever we are to inside the water, that would be different. That's is why we must obey God. To equate following God's instruction with the Law of Moses is ridiculous. Why tarriest thou, IF WE DELAY INDEFINITELY, God's blessings are never deployed.[/QUOTE]

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That is simply not true. You must will yourself into the water, you must will yourself to study God's word. Now, if God accomplished everything at baptism without any demands on us, meaning He miraculously transfers us from wherever we are to inside the water, that would be different. That's is why we must obey God. To equate following God's instruction with the Law of Moses is ridiculous. Why tarriest thou, IF WE DELAY INDEFINITELY, God's blessings are never deployed.

The law is more than just the Torah. The Torah was only ever given to the Jews, Gentiles were never beholden to its requirements. But God's law extends beyond the Torah, to include all of His commandments. When God told Adam and Eve to never eat of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, that was a law--a law that was not part of the Torah. Murder, lying, stealing, and such things are not simply violations of the Torah, but are violations of God's universal moral law. Torah was given exclusively to the Jews, but it is still a trespassing of God's command if a Gentile murders.

All which God commands is law. Not just the 613 mitzvot contained in the Torah given to the Jews on Mt. Horeb through Moses.

Christ says, "A new command I give you, to love one another even as I have loved you." That is law. Christ says, "Be merciful even as your Father is merciful" that is law. Christ says "Love your enemies, do good, give expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for He is kind to the thankless and the wicked." That, too, is law. The law, "Turn the other cheek", the law, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" also law.

All which God commands is law, that is the nature of law--to command: Either the command to do, or the command to abstain.

All which is in violation of God's command is a trespass against His law, it is sin, whether in thought, word, or deed.

We have not loved God with our whole heart, we have not loved our neighbor as ourselves, we have sinned against both God and neighbor in our words, in our thoughts, and in our actions; by both what we have done and what we have left undone.

Such is God's holy Law. What else does He say? He says, "You have heard it said do not murder, but I say that anyone who is angry against his brother has committed murder in his heart." And what else? "You have heard it said do not commit adultery, but I say that anyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery against her in his heart."

So we have all, truly, and indeed, fallen short of God's righteous command. We are sinners, but here is the good news, "Christ came to save sinners, and I am the chief of sinners."

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That is simply not true. You must will yourself into the water

"But Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.'" - Matthew 19:14

It is not about the will, but the grace of God; which is for all--even the youngest and feeblest in our midst.

The will is broken and fallen, for indeed the Prophet Jeremiah says, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" (Jeremiah 17:9).

If you look to your own will you will find no hope there. For there is only death and sin there. Instead, look to Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And what I believe is what Scripture says about baptism, by it God gives new birth, unites us to Christ, makes us dead, buried, and raised up with Jesus, etc. All these things God does, we don't do them.

When Scripture says, "All of you who were baptized into Christ have put on Christ" (Galatians 3:27) it's not kidding. Not because water is magic, but because God has attached this promise to baptism, not as a work I accomplish for God, but as something God does for us. God is the worker in His Sacraments, not us. The Sacraments are gifts, not works of the law.

By turning Baptism into an act of obedience we do for God it becomes a work of law; but it's neither. It is a work of God, a gift, something God does for us. That God has chosen to act through visible, tangible means shouldn't be shocking, that is after all how He has always worked throughout history. Most noticeably and obviously we have the Incarnation itself, the birth, life, death, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

When I hear the Gospel I am not working works of obedience to God, I am hearing and receiving God's gift of His own precious and saving word; that Gospel is the very power of God to save all who believe, to create faith, through which we are saved and justified on Christ's account. It is only meager preaching, and God has called and chosen mere men to be the instruments who preach that word, but nevertheless that word is the very word of God.

-CryptoLutheran

I am sorry to say this to you , but those who believe that baptism is a part or is necessary for salvation often use Gal. 3:27 as one of their “proof texts” for the view that baptism is necessary for salvation.

But there is a problem in doing that because when we do that we are ignoring the context of the passage as well as the overall context of Scripture to try to force a pre-conceived theological view on this passage.

In order to determine if this passage really supports baptismal regeneration, one simply needs to read the immediate context to know that it does not. The overall context of Galatians is centered on Paul’s rebuke that some of the Galatians were turning from the one true gospel to another false gospel that could not save them in Gal. 1:6-10.

The false gospel they were embracing was one that mixed God’s grace with works of the law, including circumcision, as a requirement for being saved, much like those who add baptism as a requirement for salvation.

Paul’s message in Galatians is very, very clear—we are justified not “by the works of the law but by faith in Christ” as seen in Gal. 2:16. This context of justification by faith alone in Christ alone is seen throughout the first three chapters of Galatians and is reinforced in Gal. 3:26......
“For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.”

This verse, along with all other passages of Scripture dealing with salvation, makes it clear that salvation is “through faith in Christ Jesus,” and since, for baptism to have any meaning at all, it must always be preceded by faith, we can know that it is faith in Christ that saves us not the baptism that follows faith. While baptism is important as a way of identifying us with Christ, it only has meaning if it comes from saving faith which always comes first.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am sorry to say this to you , but those who believe that baptism is a part or is necessary for salvation often use Gal. 3:27 as one of their “proof texts” for the view that baptism is necessary for salvation.

But there is a problem in doing that because when we do that we are ignoring the context of the passage as well as the overall context of Scripture to try to force a pre-conceived theological view on this passage.

In order to determine if this passage really supports baptismal regeneration, one simply needs to read the immediate context to know that it does not. The overall context of Galatians is centered on Paul’s rebuke that some of the Galatians were turning from the one true gospel to another false gospel that could not save them in Gal. 1:6-10.

The false gospel they were embracing was one that mixed God’s grace with works of the law, including circumcision, as a requirement for being saved, much like those who add baptism as a requirement for salvation.

Paul’s message in Galatians is very, very clear—we are justified not “by the works of the law but by faith in Christ” as seen in Gal. 2:16. This context of justification by faith alone in Christ alone is seen throughout the first three chapters of Galatians and is reinforced in Gal. 3:26......
“For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.”

This verse, along with all other passages of Scripture dealing with salvation, makes it clear that salvation is “through faith in Christ Jesus,” and since, for baptism to have any meaning at all, it must always be preceded by faith, we can know that it is faith in Christ that saves us not the baptism that follows faith. While baptism is important as a way of identifying us with Christ, it only has meaning if it comes from saving faith which always comes first.

Your argument is built upon the false premise that Baptism is a work of obedience we do for God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Show me where Scripture calls Baptism an act of obedience for after we are saved to show an outside action from the inside circumcision of the heart.

Show me where Scripture says that Baptism is a ritual which shows the world that we are changed from the inside.

Does it make any sense to place faith in the voice of a preacher, or in ink and paper--is a preacher's voice and ink and paper as powerful for our salvation as the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ?

However, no, I don't place my faith in water. I place my faith in God and His promises. Those promises He has attached to the water of Baptism means I can trust in what God has done through His Sacrament. I have no faith in myself or my works, I have trust only in God's word, God's promise, God's works.

-CryptoLutheran

God's plan of salvation is actually very simple.

Acts 16:29-31...……
"Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Let’s go a little deeper and look at God’s plan of salvation.

Ephesians 2:7-10...……….
"That in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

According to this, God’s plan is through His grace received by those who exercise faith in Jesus Christ. God enables a person who is spiritually dead to believe, through that person’s faith which is an act made possible by the work of God. Therefore, the whole work of salvation by grace through faith is the work of God not of themselves.

Romans 10:13...………
"For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved."

If as scripture says, salvation is of the Lord and by faith not works it means that baptism, which is a work, is not a requirement for salvation. What is required of us is belief in the word of Jesus on the cross. Nothing else.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your argument is built upon the false premise that Baptism is a work of obedience we do for God.

-CryptoLutheran

I am not arguing anything. Only stating the Word of God my dear brother.

Water baptism is something WE do and in fact we should do it after we have accepted Christ. However, the act has not salvation power in it.

While Jesus was baptized He did not baptize. Remember Jesus said that He did not come to change the law but to fulfill it.

Here’s what Jesus said to one of the criminals who was crucified with Him. That man who received salvation through His belief in Jesus died before he could be baptised.

Luke 23:39-43 ……...
"Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, "If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us." But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, "Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong." Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."

This man acknowledged his sin, and responded in faith in acknowledging Jesus. This is the gospel message, the message of salvation and it happened without baptism.

Baptism is not necessary for salvation only Jesus can save us. But baptism is very important.

Jesus said that if we love Him we will keep His commandments and one of His commandments is that we be baptise.

John 14:15 ………...
"If you love Me, keep My commandments."

Matthew 28:18-20 ……...
"And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

Baptism is is a public declaration that we have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior. When we immersed under the water and raised out of it, we are symbolically that our old life of sin has been buried, and that we have been raised to new life in Jesus—just as He died for our sins, was buried, and was raised to life again.

Water baptism is certainly important, and commanded of every believer. However, the Bible does not teach that baptism is necessary for salvation.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So if I

1) Find a contradiction in the Protocanonical books
2) Show an historical inaccuracy in the Protocanonical books
3) Find false teaching in the Protocanonical books

May I throw those books out of my Bible?

Let's play this game, with the understanding that I don't actually want to take anything out of the Bible, and that I don't necessarily believe the argument I'm going to make--this is purely for the sake of making a point.

My first proposal, we get rid of the Epistle of James because it contains false teaching and contradicts the rest of the Bible,

"You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone." - James 2:24

My second proposal, we get rid of the book of Job, as it mentions mythological creatures as though they were real, namely Behemoth and Leviathan. It also says that Satan is among the angelic council.

My third proposal is that we remove the book of Genesis, because it contains two contradictory creation stories, one in Genesis chapter 1, and another in Genesis chapter 2.

As such James, Job, and Genesis are all Apocrypha and don't belong in the Bible. I'm sure we could find some others to remove if we look hard enough and apply the same criteria.

-CryptoLutheran

Your 1st proposal is based on a false teaching that James contradicts the rest of the Bible That is simply not true.

It is however true that the same words can have different meanings. And different words can have the same meanings. This is true in the Bible as well as in all other books and conversations.

It is then up to us to dig in deeper and learn that difference. Many and it seems YOU as well believe that James contradicts Pauls teaching but that just is not the case.

James was trying to get across to his churches that Loveless faith is absolutely useless; and anybody that comes along and says "We are justified by faith alone, and so you don't have to be a loving person to go to heaven" is not telling the truth.

So James' concern is that people have real saving faith, not counterfeit faith. And the difference is that the real faith produces loving behavior.

Your next proposal is Actually it is a good question. Remember that Job is a "POETIC" book. When considering poetic books like Job, it is good practise to consider the 'objective' of the text - however you're spot-on to ask the question:
"why?" are both creatures appear at all ?

(From Why is the description of Leviathan much longer than the Behemoth's in Job?
It's worth noting that whilst the Behemoth seems like a short section compared to the Leviathan, it's still a longer section than the preceding animals, which are again smaller things. Poetically, there appears to be something of a progression from section to section, asking Job's wisdom and power over the world: nature, small animals, and then the biggest animals.

Looking at the structure of the texts, Leviathan would appear to be the climax or grand finale: "Nothing on earth is its equal." Whilst the Behemoth (whatever its identity) is certainly impressive for a land animal, it's a small fry compared to the final candidate, and anybody who has seen both will understand the tremendous difference in scale. Yahweh is making His might known by comparison to various creatures of various sizes, and it makes sense to take such a large chunk of text comparing His might to the greatest creature, rather than the smaller ones.

And of course your 3rd proposal in false as well since your description is false.

By considering the two creation accounts individually and then reconciling them, we see that God describes the sequence of creation in Gen 1, then clarifies its most important details, especially of the sixth day, in Gen. 2.

So then the bottom line is that there is no contradiction here, merely a common literary device of that day in which describing an event from the general to the specific.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"But Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.'" - Matthew 19:14

It is not about the will, but the grace of God; which is for all--even the youngest and feeblest in our midst.

The will is broken and fallen, for indeed the Prophet Jeremiah says, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" (Jeremiah 17:9).

If you look to your own will you will find no hope there. For there is only death and sin there. Instead, look to Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

I do not know or understand why you used Matthew 19:14 or Jeremiah 17:9 to support the choice or will to be baptized as neither one contextually applies.

As for looking to Christ.....Absolutely agreed!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something that has helped me to better understand salvation is love; God loved me, loves me, and through His Love made man, through the Cross of Christ, calls me and enables me to exercise my will and to practically love Him back through prayer, contrition, repentance, faith, acts of mercy, and ways to love people.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Something that has helped me to better understand salvation is love; God loved me, loves me, and through His Love made man, through the Cross of Christ, calls me and enables me to exercise my will and to practically love Him back through prayer, contrition, repentance, faith, acts of mercy, and ways to love people.

Good stuff!

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran
God has told us to do it. Whom else would we comply with? If it were not for Him and His plan of salvation plus His desire that we know it, we would know nothing of baptism. One either OBEYS righteousness or evil. There is no other option.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith alone is not sufficient, according to the totality of God's word, for salvation. God is interested or seeks those who are willing to diligently Him. He desires those with the faith of Abraham, that no matter what God wanted Him to do, he was going to do that, even if it meant offering his only son, in whom the promise was made. We have faith and since God has told us that whoever believes and is baptised shall be saved. Since baptism includes the essential component of having our prior sins forgiven, we can not possibly be "saved" before those sins are blotted out. Now if one wishes to view this as having a "saving" faith, the type of faith that will definitely lead to baptism, then maybe one could construe that as being saved by faith, but untill the baptism is done to the believer, he in fact is still accountable for those sins.
In Him

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Faith alone is not sufficient, according to the totality of God's word, for salvation. God is interested or seeks those who are willing to diligently Him. He desires those with the faith of Abraham, that no matter what God wanted Him to do, he was going to do that, even if it meant offering his only son, in whom the promise was made. We have faith and since God has told us that whoever believes and is baptised shall be saved. Since baptism includes the essential component of having our prior sins forgiven, we can not possibly be "saved" before those sins are blotted out. Now if one wishes to view this as having a "saving" faith, the type of faith that will definitely lead to baptism, then maybe one could construe that as being saved by faith, but untill the baptism is done to the believer, he in fact is still accountable for those sins.
In Him

I can not agree with you on this point brother.

If we say that water baptism is needed to be saved, then we have placed water on the same leval as the BLOOD of Jesus Christ. Salvation was purchased neither by water nor by faith. Our salvation is by grace through the shed blood of Jesus on the cross.
It is obtained by us through FAITH in Christ and His work on the cross.

Our sins are forgiven the very second we accept the Lord Jesus Christ. Then we choose to be obedient and follow that choice by being baptized.

I have personally led many people to Christ who were on deaths door and did not live to be baptized. I have done the same thing to men before a battle and they did not live.

The thief on the cross was not baptized but Jesus said that "TODAY, you will be with me in Paradise". That one Scriptures pretty much seals the deal.

I will without any doubt see those people when I get to heaven!

• Winner
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can not agree with you on this point brother.

If we say that water baptism is needed to be saved, then we have placed water on the same leval as the BLOOD of Jesus Christ. Salvation was purchased neither by water nor by faith. Our salvation is by grace through the shed blood of Jesus on the cross.
It is obtained by us through FAITH in Christ and His work on the cross.

Our sins are forgiven the very second we accept the Lord Jesus Christ. Then we choose to be obedient and follow that choice by being baptized.

I have personally led many people to Christ who were on deaths door and did not live to be baptized. I have done the same thing to men before a battle and they did not live.

The thief on the cross was not baptized but Jesus said that "TODAY, you will be with me in Paradise". That one Scriptures pretty much seals the deal.

I will without any doubt see those people when I get to heaven!
I have to, respectfully, disagree. There are too many scriptures that say otherwise, a few of which I have included.

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. - Mark 16:16

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:38-39

And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. -
Acts 22:16

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: -
1 Peter 3:21

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. -
John 3:5

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: - Romans 6:3-5

As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Colossians 2:6-13

The thief on the cross is not applicable to us today, he died before the church began on pentecost. Even if he hadn't, Christ being God was able to forgive the sins of anyone whenevet He chose to and did multiple times.
In Him

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,933,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have to, respectfully, disagree. There are too many scriptures that say otherwise, a few of which I have included.
Hi Just_a_Christian, just FYI, I'm in agreement with everything that @Major1 just pointed out to you above. Also, I posted early on in this thread, but I have not followed it since, so this is a blind post (save the one I read by Major1, as well one or two others above), so I apologize ahead of time if I am writing about things which have already been discussed.

That said, as important as water baptism is, there is still only one baptism that saves us, and it doesn't involve water.

As for the absolute necessity of "water" baptism for salvation, I find it interesting that you've reached that conclusion due (at least in part) to the number of verses that mention it, because the number of verses that do NOT mention (or even allude to) water baptism as necessary for salvation literally dwarf the ones that seem to.

Finally, if what you say above is true, then what are we to make of passages like this one?

1 Corinthians 1
10 I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you.
12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.”
13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,
15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name.
16 Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other.
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void.

If no one can be saved apart from the waters of baptism, why would Jesus send St. Paul to "preach the Gospel" to the lost, but not have him perform water baptisms as well, so that those He was preaching to could actually be saved :scratch:

Thanks!

--David
p.s. - we are saved from the moment we first "believe"!

John 5
24 He who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

• Winner
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, if you were too young to remember, then that says something right there doesn't.....
It did not mean anything to you because of your age!!!

If not, then your agreement and acceptance to be baptized is an action/work.
By acceptance of the ritual you participated in a work (Verb = action).
Um, you’ve heard of Confirmation, right?

I ask because your post there implies a marked lack of understanding of Confirmation.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That said, as important as water baptism is, there is still only one baptism that saves us, and it doesn't involve water.
Hey WormDos
There are two baptisms (not including John the Baptist) that was used in the early days of the church. First was the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. - Acts 10:44
This baptism was the last Holy Ghost baptism recorded and it was to signify that the Gentiles were also to be included in God's plan to reconcile man to Himself. The other baptism mentioned and administered was water baptism which Jesus spoke of in the Great Commission.
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:15-16
Immediately after the Holy Ghost came upon Cornelius and others there Peter commanded that they be baptized. The reasom Peter commanded they be baptized was he knew it was for remission of sins. He also knew that God would also quicken them together with Christ and also add them to the body of Christ. Only those who are in Christ will be saved; baptism is the only way man can get in to Christ. After baptism we are a new creature, having the answer of a clear conscience, as our every trespasse, up to that point, forever forgiven.
Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 10:47-48
The reason for water baptism is made clear and that being for the remission of sins.
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:38-39
The promise is not only to them but to us, we are those that, at that time, were afar off.
As for the absolute necessity of "water" baptism for salvation, I find it interesting that you've reached that conclusion due (at least in part) to the number of verses that mention it, because the number of verses that do NOT mention (or even allude to) water baptism as necessary for salvation literally dwarf the ones that seem to.
How many times do you find it necessary that God to tell us to be baptized for our remission of sins?? If there were only one verse, I could not in clear conscience, simply ignore it. It is clear from God's word that we do not have it within our selves to know the way to be pleasing unto God, aside from His direction. To put our knowledge ahead of that of God's is to put ourselves in peril, to say the least.
There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
Proverbs 16:25
Finally, if what you say above is true, then what are we to make of passages like this one?

1 Corinthians 1
10 I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you.
12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.”
13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,
15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name.
16 Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other.
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void.
Honestly, you answered your own question in the scripture you quoted. There were divisions there and some of those people were apparently attempting to give Paul the glory instead of Christ. Paul did baptize some but he had assistants that traveled with him, the particular scripture given Paul had arrived ahead of Timothy and Silas. All that one can read into the scripture is Paul's help did most of the baptizing on his various ministries. Attempting to read anything further than that is to make assumptions we as the "sin sick" created are not equiped to make.

John 5
24 He who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. - Mark 16:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. - Acts 22:16
If these were the ONLY two verses in all of the New Testament mentioning baptism no man could convince me otherwise.
That being said, there's plenty of scripture serving as reassurance.
In Him

Last edited:
Upvote 0